Libre Freestyle Free Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I’m using LibreFreestyle temporarily, but the bigger issue is about accessing LibreFreestyle on prescription via NHS for T2
A substantial proportion of people with T2 (in this country) aren't even prescribed test strips.

It's expected that it'll be offered to some proportion of those using insulin, but I'd guess that'll be the limit for a while unless something dramatic changes. (If the data show that it's really helpful to those I could imagine it being broadened to more who're using insulin.)

I’m relatively new to this forum. I logged in to check out other peoples’ experience of LibreFreestyle.

I hadn’t realised before how big a difference there was between Diabetes T1 and T2. I’m T2. From what I can see, NHS is now giving Libre on prescription to most people with T1. For me, I’m using LibreFreestyle temporarily, but the bigger issue is about accessing LibreFreestyle on prescription via NHS for T2
I didn't realise the difference between type1 & 2 my mate is type 2 and to be honest I'd rather have type 1 seems alot easier lol

Well my Libre is going back to be replaced as my BGs have never been so low in fact Hypos when i sleep! I am Type 2 on on no meds now so know this is not right. Anyway the difference between Meter and Freestyle libre is sometimes over 3mmols (8.6 meter 5.2 Libre) sometimes 2mmols even though ive given it time to settle down and test 10 mins after meter reading as confirmed to be correct with customer services.
I know its not life threatening for me but at £50 for 14 days you expect it to be correct or at least consistent so i can allow for variance.
Love the idea of not having to use meter and jab. Customer services very helpful. Just wish it would be more reliable. Will see if next one is any better and this may have been faulty sensor. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Well my Libre is going back to be replaced as my BGs have never been so low in fact Hypos when i sleep! I am Type 2 on on no meds now so know this is not right. Anyway the difference between Meter and Freestyle libre is sometimes over 3mmols (8.6 meter 5.2 Libre) sometimes 2mmols even though ive given it time to settle down and test 10 mins after meter reading as confirmed to be correct with customer services.
I know its not life threatening for me but at £50 for 14 days you expect it to be correct or at least consistent so i can allow for variance.
Love the idea of not having to use meter and jab. Customer services very helpful. Just wish it would be more reliable. Will see if next one is any better and this may have been faulty sensor. Fingers crossed.
The hypos showing up overnight could be compression lows. Compression lows are where you are accidentally lying on the sensor and it just reads a lot lower than a finger prick

The hypos showing up overnight could be compression lows. Compression lows are where you are accidentally lying on the sensor and it just reads a lot lower than a finger prick
No i know about this and didnt sleep on that arm. I know the lows were when i was awake as i wake to take levothyxin in the night and visit toilet and am awake maybe 30 mins either side of that. My average on meter is 5.2mmols and i know this is def not correct. I am getting 4s and 5s after food and know from experience this isnt correct.

No i know about this and didnt sleep on that arm. I know the lows were when i was awake as i wake to take levothyxin in the night and visit toilet and am awake maybe 30 mins either side of that. My average on meter is 5.2mmols and i know this is def not correct.
I hope this doesn’t put you off Libre

I hope this doesn’t put you off Libre
No like i say i love the idea and the amount of checking i can do when out etc. without having to take meter and jab etc. All the stored info and graphs are great. Just want something reliable and am hoping this was just a faulty one. Even if it was consistently say 1 or 2 mmols out i could allow for this. But this is all over the place sometimes 1.5 and sometimes 3.5 which is of no use at all.

No like i say i love the idea and the amount of checking i can do when out etc. without having to take meter and jab etc. All the stored info and graphs are great. Just want something reliable and am hoping this was just a faulty one. Even if it was consistently say 1 or 2 mmols out i could allow for this. But this is all over the place sometimes 1.5 and sometimes 3.5 which is of no use at all.
As you HbA1C is now in normal range and you are not on any meds, I wonder why you feel you need to test so much.

As you HbA1C is now in normal range and you are not on any meds, I wonder why you feel you need to test so much.
My hba1c is only low because of a strict diet and lots of exercise and weight loss . I want to vary my diet and try new things and see effect on BG levels at times its not always handy to take a monitor etc with me but a phone is much easier. I also have no idea of my sleeping levels and wanted to know as my hba1c doesnt always correspond with average meter readings. My hba1c i am guessing is maybe just below pre diabetic or maybe into pre diabetic at the mo and i want to keep a check on it. This is a free trial and was hoping could be a helpful insight.

I didn't realise the difference between type1 & 2 my mate is type 2 and to be honest I'd rather have type 1 seems alot easier lol
It's difabttly not easy.

It's difabttly not easy.

#FreesyleLibre

Taken several days off from my ‘LibreFreestyle (Type2 self-funded) trial’ and trying to follow the same patterns that seemed to serve me best on my ‘trial experiment’.

Over the relevant ‘56 of 99 days’ (number of recorded logs) my estimated A1C changed from well over 6.7 to 5.8. But emphasising - this is only ‘estimated’ via the LibreLink app.

I’ve had at least two dud sensors since the first one that was replaced. I think one needs to keep accurate serial numbers and details of which ones failed and why. I’m feeling a little demoralised by these requirements so I’m hoping I can get them replaced if and when I feel up to looking at all the dead sensors to try to work out which ones were the duds. £100 for two dud sensors is a big loss.

Anyway- I guess it’s time to order more sensors if I aim to follow through on my plan to return my A1C to the normal range - even if that’s with taking metformin and insulin. If I can keep that up for a while - the next goal would be reducing my need for insulin. (Currently on 40 units, divided dose, of innolet human insulin daily.) But it is what it is.

If there is anyone else struggling to lower their A1C result - I wish you the best of luck! I know it’s possible - but it takes determination. xxx

Last edited:
Currently on 40 units, divided dose, of innolet human insulin daily.)

Is it a mixed insulin you’re taking in your Innolet injection device or a basal insulin? Innolet is the name of the injector but there should be an insulin name there too as different insulins can be used in the Innolet injection device.

Well my replacement sensor arrved and i had a sensor failed please replace message on 2nd day :( Abbott are replacing as they say its a faulty sensor. I really don't seem to be having much luck. Maybe 3rd time lucky.

Well my replacement sensor arrved and i had a sensor failed please replace message on 2nd day :( Abbott are replacing as they say its a faulty sensor. I really don't seem to be having much luck. Maybe 3rd time lucky.
Fingers crossed for you although since being switched to Libre 2 last year I've had 18 failures, 1 of them failed to start after the hour warm up and the rest ended at various points of the 14 days, I have however had 26 days now of working sensors continuously which is a first! lol xx

Fingers crossed for you although since being switched to Libre 2 last year I've had 18 failures, 1 of them failed to start after the hour warm up and the rest ended at various points of the 14 days, I have however had 26 days now of working sensors continuously which is a first! lol xx
Omg i thought it was just my bad luck. I was almost embarrassed to ring and say a 2nd failed. My first was very innacurate and for the first hour or two of this one it seemed much better. But as the day went on i was reading 2.9mmols when my meter was reading 7.4mmols. Well awoke this morning hoping things had improved as some mentioned needs 24 hours to settle. When i scanned it said replace sensor as sensor failed.
I see lots of people saying they have very few failures and was beginning to think i am jinxed.

Omg i thought it was just my bad luck. I was almost embarrassed to ring and say a 2nd failed. My first was very innacurate and for the first hour or two of this one it seemed much better. But as the day went on i was reading 2.9mmols when my meter was reading 7.4mmols. Well awoke this morning hoping things had improved as some mentioned needs 24 hours to settle. When i scanned it said replace sensor as sensor failed.
I see lots of people saying they have very few failures and was beginning to think i am jinxed.
No don't worry, the Libre and diabetes groups on Facebook have many reports of Libre 2 failures even though most of us used the Libre 1 successfully with very few issues, it's certainly very frustrating to feel let down by them all the time though xx

Really starting to feel confident that I made the right decision sticking with the original Libre model instead of upgrading to Libre 2. Just too many failures on the Mark II version.

Glad I read these messages. I did not realise Libre 2 failures were a common problem. I thought I'd done something wrong when I replaced my Libre 2 sensor and it failed after about 12 hours.

I was persuaded to switch to Libre 2 by my DSN. Have been using Libre 2 for several months and this is the first time I've had a problem. I like the alarms. It gives me more confidence in managing my diabetes.

I've contacted Abbott about the failed sensor and I'm waiting for them to reply.

Glad I read these messages. I did not realise Libre 2 failures were a common problem. I thought I'd done something wrong when I replaced my Libre 2 sensor and it failed after about 12 hours.

I was persuaded to switch to Libre 2 by my DSN. Have been using Libre 2 for several months and this is the first time I've had a problem. I like the alarms. It gives me more confidence in managing my diabetes.

I've contacted Abbott about the failed sensor and I'm waiting for them to reply.
I just rang the freephone number and they asked a few details and told me how to get details they needed from phone. Very helpful and agreed to send a replacement which was dispatched within 24 hours. Fingers crossed this one will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back