Libre Freestyle Free Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gll some people find that they run about 2mmol out the whole wear period, if it's consistent in reading that far out then Abbott don't tend to replace, they are the same as meters in the 15-20% error margin and those differences fall within that, I know your only trialing but if you are interested in trialing it as a CGM with the option to calibrate then it may be worth having a look at Diabox, it can take continues readings either every 1 minute or every 5 minutes xx

I used the free trial before Xmas and found it a good experience, but after a week it started to show far higher values and threw up a lot of error messages (It did show me that I can manage a small amount of potato without any rise.). It was generally 2-3 higher than finger pricking, sometimes 4. But I liked seeing trends and the GP (Who seemed quite unimpressed I was using one, bearing in mind I've had ZERO help from the surgery since I was diagnosed.) said 'That's good' when I told her I can see it going up and then dropping down afterwards (In particular when I had a bowl of oats - it rapidly rose to around 8 and then rapidly fell down to 5-6 almost straight away.)

I bought a couple more and have just finished one, but this time it wasn't as good as it was always quite high and used to do weird things like show a high value at random (I did notice that the graph smoothed these blips out, so I guess they do some error correction and disregard blips). I found that if I moved it would shoot up and didn't really show the trends - sometimes seemed to go up and then get stuck, whereas blood testing would show it going up, then dropping a few hours after a meal back to previous levels (Finger pricking results seemed more consistent). It seemed to settle down during the night and flat lined around 5 all night and in the evenings. Towards the end of its lifespan, it got a bit like a random number generator. I don't know whether it's because of where I put it... I never saw any up or down arrows, though, just always the 'slow change' arrow. I might try the other one later this month. I'm not sure I need them, as I've got a good idea about what I can eat without causing a spike.

What I did notice was that sometimes it'd show a rise after a meal, a quick drop, then another rise followed by another fall.

Anyway, as a software developer in embedded systems, I'm fascinated by the whole thing!

@gll some people find that they run about 2mmol out the whole wear period, if it's consistent in reading that far out then Abbott don't tend to replace, they are the same as meters in the 15-20% error margin and those differences fall within that, I know your only trialing but if you are interested in trialing it as a CGM with the option to calibrate then it may be worth having a look at Diabox, it can take continues readings either every 1 minute or every 5 minutes xx
Yes, I got used to it and assumed that the real value was somewhere between the finger pricking result and Libre result, given the error of margin the meters have.

I used the free trial before Xmas and found it a good experience, but after a week it started to show far higher values and threw up a lot of error messages (It did show me that I can manage a small amount of potato without any rise.). It was generally 2-3 higher than finger pricking, sometimes 4. But I liked seeing trends and the GP (Who seemed quite unimpressed I was using one, bearing in mind I've had ZERO help from the surgery since I was diagnosed.) said 'That's good' when I told her I can see it going up and then dropping down afterwards (In particular when I had a bowl of oats - it rapidly rose to around 8 and then rapidly fell down to 5-6 almost straight away.)

I bought a couple more and have just finished one, but this time it wasn't as good as it was always quite high and used to do weird things like show a high value at random (I did notice that the graph smoothed these blips out, so I guess they do some error correction and disregard blips). I found that if I moved it would shoot up and didn't really show the trends - sometimes seemed to go up and then get stuck, whereas blood testing would show it going up, then dropping a few hours after a meal back to previous levels (Finger pricking results seemed more consistent). It seemed to settle down during the night and flat lined around 5 all night and in the evenings. Towards the end of its lifespan, it got a bit like a random number generator. I don't know whether it's because of where I put it... I never saw any up or down arrows, though, just always the 'slow change' arrow. I might try the other one later this month. I'm not sure I need them, as I've got a good idea about what I can eat without causing a spike.

What I did notice was that sometimes it'd show a rise after a meal, a quick drop, then another rise followed by another fall.

Anyway, as a software developer in embedded systems, I'm fascinated by the whole thing!

When the Libre works - it’s brilliant. If one goes wrong - contact Libre and get it replaced. They all have serial numbers so they can ‘back track’. Keep the box/ used sensor and/ or take a photo of serial numbers and box ID. As well as keeping the shipping invoice. Wasting £50 on a dud sensor is not an option. I still have two duds waiting to be logged and replaced.

All you need to report a sensor is the serial number which can be found within the app or in the reader, if its for inaccuracies they require 3 comparative readings to blood, the sensor itself should be kept until you know whether they require it to be returned or not, there is absolutely no need to keep the box etc, I've reported 18 in less than a year so I know the routine pretty well

When the Libre works - it’s brilliant. If one goes wrong - contact Libre and get it replaced. They all have serial numbers so they can ‘back track’. Keep the box/ used sensor and/ or take a photo of serial numbers and box ID. As well as keeping the shipping invoice. Wasting £50 on a dud sensor is not an option. I still have two duds waiting to be logged and replaced.

PS - Or even a ‘free trial’ that doesn’t work. Mine did - but I see other people have had the free trial sensor replaced because it was a dud?

I know. It’s ‘cool’ isn’t it. 🙂

I have thought about a trial but looked at list of compatible phones and mine not there. Although i do have nfc and android 9 (Huawei p smart phone). Is there anyone more technically minded than myself who can say whether they think it may work?

I think the sensors have a pretty long ‘use by’ / ‘shelf’ date - so it’s worth getting the trial sensor and putting it to one side while you work out how/ whether to access it/ get the best from it. I’m not sure how long the offer will last.

Until you unseal the applicator and apply the sensor it to your arm it is just ‘waiting’. But I’m pretty sure it will be ready whenever you are.

I had thought of doing an ‘opening the box’ video / series of stills. But that’s not really me. Anyone else want to volunteer? I think actually seeing something visually makes it far less intimidating than just hearing about it in the abstract.

‘There are also several other similar items on sale etc. etc.’ if anyone wants to post anything about the alternatives it could be interesting to see and compare all the options.

Ann

I think the sensors have a pretty long ‘use by’ / ‘shelf’ date - so it’s worth getting the trial sensor and putting it to one side while you work out how/ whether to access it/ get the best from it. I’m not sure how long the offer will last.

Until you unseal the applicator and apply the sensor it to your arm it is just ‘waiting’. But I’m pretty sure it will be ready whenever you are.

I had thought of doing an ‘opening the box’ video / series of stills. But that’s not really me. Anyone else want to volunteer? I think actually seeing something visually makes it far less intimidating than just hearing about it in the abstract.

‘There are also several other similar items on sale etc. etc.’ if anyone wants to post anything about the alternatives it could be interesting to see and compare all the options.

Ann

I don’t want to start another new thread in case nobody else can relate to this - but - does anyone have experience of the interaction between ‘stress’ and ‘blood sugar spikes’ personal experience and/ or research?

Being able to download the app doesn’t necessarily mean your phone will be compatible @gll Don’t buy any extra sensors without confirming it will work.

If you read the closed thread referred to in the opening post you’ll see more details about this and lots of explanations 🙂
🙂

And I’ve seen some adverts on TV too as well as in print media.
And there are unboxing videos on youtube, Facebook etc so it's not like it hasn't been done already

And there are unboxing videos on youtube, Facebook etc so it's not like it hasn't been done already

Even better. So share them on this site?

Seems a shame to keep information constrained to specific SM platforms - share. Please?

They are easy searchable and findable which is exactly what I'd have to do to post links

my goal for getting the trial (and extending it for another 4 weeks) was to try and see what's going on between the finger pricks.

While I feel I do run a little higher than I would like with current medications, its usually fairly consistent but some days it is like "did I forget to take meds today" (even though I didn't forget) and it usually stays like that for a few days then back to "normal" again. That's the data I want to see (mixed in with normal data).

Will I get anywhere taking it to the GP?...who knows but still, even confirming what I suspect is happening for myself I wouldn't feel like such a failure at managing things when I know I can't really do any more than I already am.

I've always felt some days I could just do with a flexible treatment to stay on top of it all and not just fixed meds where if its not enough, there's nothing I can do about it and just need to ride it out and hope numbers chill out a bit.

@Kaylz
Did another finger prick vs sensor and still 2 under so have found a link for diabox and how to setup. will have a look into that a bit more ty 🙂

How about this one?

My posts about Libre have been based on my own personal experience. I was lucky in that I ordered the free trial without checking if my phone could use the app and fortunately it could.

A few people have posted about other apps that can be paired with the sensor. I’m not sure how to start researching this myself.

Is there anyone who knows more than I do about this that can post links/ apps that can be used with the sensor as well as or even instead of the LibreLink app?

If there are any ‘instead of’ options maybe that could solve the problem of needing an expensive compatible phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back