Libre Freestyle Free Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Libre Freestyle Glucose Monitoring System.

#FoodForThought

There were a variety of different opinions posted about the option of using the Libre Freestyle ‘free trial’.
I was just one person posting my own personal opinion.

To use the free trial you need a compatible phone. I had one.

There is no obligation after the free trial.

For me, those two weeks offered me amazing insight into how quickly blood glucose rises and falls and how different foods trigger different reactions within minutes and also the effects of stress on BG , it completely changed my understanding of managing BG for the better. I learned more in two weeks than in the 10 or so years since my T2 diagnosis.

My decision to continue using it was a separate decision. If I hadn’t chosen / been able to afford to do that for at least a short time, that would not have invalidated anything I had leaned from that two week trial. I’d hate to think that the reaction of some people to my original thread had put anyone off making their own choices.

Since I logged in to DiabetesUK I have learned that there is a variety of other devices that serve a similar purpose - so I now have even more to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Libre Freestyle Glucose Monitoring System - closed thread.

#FoodForThought

There were a variety of different opinions posted about the option of using the Libre Freestyle ‘free trial’.
I was just one person posting my own personal opinion.

To use the free trial you need a compatible phone. I had one.

There is no obligation after the free trial.

For me, those two weeks offered me amazing insight into how quickly blood glucose rises and falls and how different foods trigger different reactions within minutes and also the effects of stress on BG , it completely changed my understanding of managing BG for the better. I learned more in two weeks than in the 10 or so years since my T2 diagnosis.

My decision to continue using it was a separate decision. If I hadn’t chosen / been able to afford to do that for at least a short time, that would not have invalidated anything I had leaned from that two week trial. I’d hate to think that the reaction of some people to my original thread had put anyone off making their own choices.

Since I logged in to DiabetesUK I have learned that there is a variety of other devices that serve a similar purpose - so I now have even more to think about.

One more thing I’d like to add.
I’m T2. Until I browsed this site I hadn’t quite understood how big a difference there is between a diagnosis of T2 and dx of Type 1.

Now I understand this - would add that my observations and comments relate entirely to my own experience of T2. I have zero expertise or experience of T1.

I went for the free trial and it was a revelation. I was worried about skin reaction but I've had none and they don't fall off. I'm luck enough to be able to afford the monthly £100 cost but it's worth it if you can spare the money.

I have thought about a trial but looked at list of compatible phones and mine not there. Although i do have nfc and android 9 (Huawei p smart phone). Is there anyone more technically minded than myself who can say whether they think it may work?

I have thought about a trial but looked at list of compatible phones and mine not there. Although i do have nfc and android 9 (Huawei p smart phone). Is there anyone more technically minded than myself who can say whether they think it may work?
Does that model have Google? xx

Yes it does Kaylz
If you are able to download the app and the phone runs on OS 7.1, 8, 9, 10 or 11 then it should work fine xx

Well its downloaded 😛 Will trial the Libra..Thanks

I have a trial sensor sitting here waiting.

I kinda want to wait until I have a spare £100 to get another 2 and do a straight 6 weeks of it to try and spot some patterns with what's going on with me. I don't think 2 weeks is long enough for me to get the kinda data I want out of it.

*Edit* updated to remove info that might not be right x

Last edited:
I have a trial sensor sitting here waiting.

I kinda want to wait until I have a spare £100 to get another 2 and do a straight 6 weeks of it to try and spot some patterns with what's going on with me. I don't think 2 weeks is long enough for me to get the kinda data I want out of it.

I couldn't download the app on my old phone. I would say if its there for you to download, it should work 🙂
Daughter got a new phone and I got her old one which let me get the app so I'm good to go when I can pick up a couple more :D
Phones without NFC can still download the app but the phone won’t be able to scan the Libre.

Phones without NFC can still download the app but the phone won’t be able to scan the Libre.
I'm not sure what phone gill had but some of the older Huawei's don't have Google so that's a possible reason xx

Being able to download the app doesn’t necessarily mean your phone will be compatible @gll Don’t buy any extra sensors without confirming it will work.

If you read the closed thread referred to in the opening post you’ll see more details about this and lots of explanations 🙂

I'm not sure what phone gill had but some of the older Huawei's don't have Google so that's a possible reason xx
@Kaylz how does Google help the phone with the Libre? I’ve not heard about Huawei phones needing Google to get Libre to work

@Kaylz how does Google help the phone with the Libre? I’ve not heard about Huawei phones needing Google to get Libre to work
Some older Huawei's don't have the Android Google Play Store so can't obtain access to the app

Some older Huawei's don't have the Android Google Play Store so can't obtain access to the app
Ah,that makes sense

My old phone has NFC but "not compatible" in the play store.

Old phone is sony xperia L1 and "new" one is the L3.

Thanks for the headsup, will hold off on buying more until i know for sure 🙂 <3
Might just apply tonight and activate tomorrow, its doable to order more tomorrow if it works.

Will let you all know and edited my post x

My old phone has NFC but "not compatible" in the play store.

Old phone is sony xperia L1 and "new" one is the L3.

Thanks for the headsup, will hold off on buying more until i know for sure 🙂 <3
Might just apply tonight and activate tomorrow, its doable to order more tomorrow if it works.

Will let you all know and edited my post x
If you do apply it tonight then activate tomorrow it’s likely to be more accurate - many people find that giving your body a few hours or even days to get used to the alien device on you arm (Libre) then the sensor will be more accurate

Phone works fine (sony xperia L3). happy it scans even with the case on too.

At the mo its a -2 of my finger prick reading being on for 10 hours. (11.9 on meter and 9.9 on sensor). Will check again later on and see if it settles more or if this is as good as it gets etc.

At the mo its a -2 of my finger prick reading being on for 10 hours. (11.9 on meter and 9.9 on sensor). Will check again later on and see if it settles more or if this is as good as it gets etc.
That’s good that your using the sensor. That is fairly far out but that should settle down and be more accurate

It’s often inaccurate at higher numbers (and low). It’s best place is around the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back