Libre 3 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
To give a different perspective on this, speaking as a school exams officer if your son is in a small room because of the alarms then it wouldn’t make any difference if it was on vibrate or just with the volume low. Vibrate can be at least as loud as a beep. Just make sure you inform your school’s exam team and they will make any necessary adjustments I’m sure. Good luck with his exams and my only comment from years of dealing with students and from doing exams myself with type 1 is to remind him to check 45 minutes before the exam so that if he’s low he can treat it and fully recover before the exam.
Isn't there a particular problem with alarms on the Libre 3 using the Libre 3 app?

From what I've read elsewhere if someone wearing Libre 3 and using the Libre 3 app on their mobile phone chooses to have the alarms on, neither the alarm volume nor the alarm tone can be changed.

One is stuck with the alarm volume and alarm tone preset by Abbott.

I understand the alarms on the Libre 3 and Libre 3 app can be turned off. But that defeats the purpose of using the product.

Users of the Libre 3 and the Libre 3 app have described the Libre 3 alarms as "ear piercing" and "shrill." I have no idea if that is true, but if it is, it seems unreasonable for any other students sitting in the same room to be disturbed by such alarms.

I understand that Dexcom have built far more flexibility into the alarms on their phone app for their glucose monitoring products.

Isn't there a particular problem with alarms on the Libre 3 using the Libre 3 app?

From what I've read elsewhere if someone wearing Libre 3 and using the Libre 3 app on their mobile phone chooses to have the alarms on, neither the alarm volume nor the alarm tone can be changed.

One is stuck with the alarm volume and alarm tone preset by Abbott.

I understand the alarms on the Libre 3 and Libre 3 app can be turned off. But that defeats the purpose of using the product.

Users of the Libre 3 and the Libre 3 app have described the Libre 3 alarms as "ear piercing" and "shrill." I have no idea if that is true, but if it is, it seems unreasonable for any other students sitting in the same room to be disturbed by such alarms.

I understand that Dexcom have built far more flexibility into the alarms on their phone app for their glucose monitoring products.
I didn’t realise that the volume wasn’t adjustable. I certainly will resist switching to the Libre 3 in that case, and yes that would mean that the student would need to be roomed separately, which is not always to their advantage. Typically in a large secondary school there might be 4-5 students with type 1 taking exams at any one time. I can imagine there will be some difficulty catering for this if they all have a Libre 3.

I didn’t realise that the volume wasn’t adjustable. I certainly will resist switching to the Libre 3 in that case, and yes that would mean that the student would need to be roomed separately, which is not always to their advantage. Typically in a large secondary school there might be 4-5 students with type 1 taking exams at any one time. I can imagine there will be some difficulty catering for this if they all have a Libre 3.
Please do double check first with Abbott and your diabetes clinicians. I don't have the Libre 3. Very few people in the UK do. So what I've read elsewhere could be wrong.

Hiya, yes - he is in a separate room already, but not on his own. We have made all of the access arrangements based on the Libre 2. It didn't occur to me that the L3 would lose functionality! We may just have to try it and see, but I'm worried about putting both apps on his phone - it may get confused? Will we be able to return to L2 if L3 doesn't work out? Exams are getting close, so don't want to mess anything up!
Can he not set the volume on his phone to vibrate only, including for notifications, while he is in the exams?

Can he not set the volume on his phone to vibrate only, including for notifications, while he is in the exams?
Nope, that's not possible because the Libre 3 app uses the system alarm level notification and this cannot be adjusted or switched off (on most phones, with some exceptions).
However there are always ways. On Samsung one needs to install Goodlock app (from Galaxy Store), there within the app go to "Life up" tab and there you can install "SoundAssistant". In this app one can adjust sound characteristics of any particular app but also switch the sound from the app completely off. This actually works.
I'm sure there are ways for other phones as well, most likely with similar apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back