Libre 3 available in UK from 25th March

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Abbott have stuck with NFC rather than Bluetooth they are ploughing a lonely furrow compared to other CGMs, no matter how good the sensors are. With the Dexcom my phone just has to be within 6 metres of the sensor. And because it installed on the Apps on my watch as soon as it was on the phone, I just need to look at my watch to check my BG - as long as the phone is in range.

It might seem a bit fussy to be free of dragging your phone or reader over your arm to get a reading, but when you have four layers of clothes at a freezing game at the football it’s a bonus just looking at your watch. No need to take the gloves off.

If Abbott have stuck with NFC rather than Bluetooth they are ploughing a lonely furrow compared to other CGMs, no matter how good the sensors are. With the Dexcom my phone just has to be within 6 metres of the sensor.
The suggestion is just that NFC will be required for initialisation. You need something to create that initial Bluetooth binding (since you only want one device to be able to connect), and NFC seems like one of the best. (I'm fairly sure there are wireless headphones that also allow this.)

There are obviously alternative ways to do it (though I think NFC is the one I'd choose). I'm guessing a big part of why they chose to continue with NFC is because they'd been using it for a while.

There is no reader for Libre 3.
it can only be started via a phone with NFC and read via Bluetooth.
If I went for this I wouldn't be able to use because I don't think a phone I had to get because it's not competavlte

The Libre 2 can already be used as a CGM with Diabox, and the readings sent to phone/Watch every 1 or
5 minute interval.
Watch Diabox.jpeg

The suggestion is just that NFC will be required for initialisation. You need something to create that initial Bluetooth binding (since you only want one device to be able to connect), and NFC seems like one of the best. (I'm fairly sure there are wireless headphones that also allow this.)

There are obviously alternative ways to do it (though I think NFC is the one I'd choose). I'm guessing a big part of why they chose to continue with NFC is because they'd been using it for a while.
Other CGMs do not require nfc. This seems to be a Libre thing.
Other CGMs I have used (Dexcom and Medtrum), you just enter a serial number which is on the sensor packaging.

Other CGMs I have used (Dexcom and Medtrum), you just enter a serial number which is on the sensor packaging.
Right, that would also work. (And while I'm pretty sure I've got some headphones that allow NFC pairing, I didn't use it.)

As I said, I imagine it's because Libre 1 and 2 use NFC extensively, so likely it would take work to remove it and add a new mechanism.

That's handy, so it's all done by this Diabox app, so would show up on android phone?

Sorry bit clueless with some tech.
That's correct, Diabox runs and picks up BG levels every 5 minutes.Screenshot_20220331-091000_DiaBox.jpgScreenshot_20220331-091408_DiaBox.jpg

True, I don't like the interface on xDrip though.
I'm on Diabox, like it a lot except it seems to close and dump all data periodically - needing me to start afresh with only 8 hrs history. I've made a note of the date this time and it could be after 90 days and 'full'? Do you encounter this?

Could you kindly explain what you dislike with xDrip please? I presume xDrip stores history for a longer time - or am I overassuming?

Just a slightly off-centre question re these Xdrip and others apps. My phone is a Samsung Android so Xdrip will work on it but what is the attraction of using it.
I see @helli amongst others uses it but what is the attraction/ advantage over the reader from the sensor provider as I do.
For me it's more a case of "don't put all my eggs in one basket" attitude in case my phone should go AWOL.
L2 user.

Best

Last edited:
My reason for using xDrip is two-fold
- ability to calibrate against my finger prick readings so it is more accurate than factory calibrated Libre
- Libre 2 can be converted to a CGM without the need to scan. I just glance at the locked screen of my phone and see my current level which has been polled by Bluetooth

I also prefer the xDrip app as it combines LibreLink and LibreView type data in one place.

Some people extend the solution further from xDrip (or Diabox) and are able to transmit the reading to a smart watch. I don't wear a watch so never investigated this but think @Brava210 does.

What helli says is exactly right which i use also i do not know why more diabetics dont use the app particularly as i read all the time of libre uses complaining of inaccurate readings from the reader and librelink app.

What helli says is exactly right which i use also i do not know why more diabetics dont use the app particularly as i read all the time of libre uses complaining of inaccurate readings from the reader and librelink app.
That's an interesting thought. I have never experienced any of the "scan again in 10 minute "errors that LibreLink users report and found Libre 2 to be very stable. Never thought of it being a LibreLink app issue.
Maybe that is another reason to use xDrip or Diabox?

Last edited:
That's an interesting thought. I have never experienced any of the "scan agin in 10 minute "errors that LibreLink users report and found Libre 2 to be very stable. Never thought of it being a LibreLink app issue.
Maybe that is another reason to use xDrip or Diabox?
Well: Diabox is a 'half-way house' in respect of the try again L2 messages. Mine keeps taking readings at 5 min intervals for up to approx 30 mins. But eventually, if L2 is being particularly awkward, Diabox eventually throws a white towel into the ring. Then it sometimes restarts automatically and at other times I have to take it through the restart routine; that routine is a bit tedious, but I now know it sufficiently well to just do it without thinking.

I don't scan with a phone, so the 'scan again in 10 mins' have been on the Reader. Hence nob all to do with Librelink. Normally means it's a faulty sensor. Why the heck you've managed to never have a faulty one is either a pure co-incidence or a miracle.

I get the scan in 10 mins,mostly when i have been for my walk and BS is dropping.

I don't scan with a phone, so the 'scan again in 10 mins' have been on the Reader. Hence nob all to do with Librelink. Normally means it's a faulty sensor. Why the heck you've managed to never have a faulty one is either a pure co-incidence or a miracle.
You must have a much flatter line than me! I get a 'scan again in 10 minutes' whenever I'm having an attack of the Himalayas on my reader. Eg, I’ve been for a strenuous walk, or done the gardening, started dropping like a stone, treated with jelly babies, and started rising fast, and the poor Libre algorithm doesn’t know whether I'm rising or falling. Or I've eaten a doughnut, and the doughnut is winning against the insulin, then at some point the insulin fights back, and the graph reaches a sharp peak, plants a flag, and starts the descent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back