Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Move over Libre2… there’s a new kid in town.

I gather Libre 3 will be available as a full CGM - so not an option for people who have Libre 2 on prescription to switch to, but available with a separate funding model / criteria as per Dexcom etc.

Will be interesting to see how this slots into the proposed new NICE guidance on CGM.

1648207613347.jpeg

It’s not much an advance. Just a bit smaller. You still can’t calibrate it as you can with Dexcom, so if you find it’s reading 2 points higher then a blood test, ypu have to live with it.

Though they say it’s more accurate from the start, a similar claim is made for the Dexcom 7, (which you and I will be buying as soon as it appears in the UK, Mike.) so we’ll see how it goes. The smaller you make these things, the smaller is the area of stickiness, making it easier for accidents with doors to pull ‘em off.

It’s not much an advance. Just a bit smaller. You still can’t calibrate it as you can with Dexcom, so if you find it’s reading 2 points higher then a blood test, ypu have to live with it.

Though they say it’s more accurate from the start, a similar claim is made for the Dexcom 7, (which you and I will be buying as soon as it appears in the UK, Mike.) so we’ll see how it goes. The smaller you make these things, the smaller is the area of stickiness, making it easier for accidents with doors to pull ‘em off.
If it's thinner as well, there's a potential for the weight to reduce faster than the sticky surface area. I presume they've tested it well enough to decide it'll be sticky enough.

I think I'd like to try one before changing from Libre 2. I'm finding it quite convenient to use it with the Libre 2 reader (so that gives the alarms), and presumably with Libre 3 I'd just have the phone. (And presumably I'd need the phone near enough all the time or I'd get gaps in the history. But I'm not sure about that and even if it's true maybe it would be OK.)

The smaller you make these things, the smaller is the area of stickiness, making it easier for accidents with doors to pull ‘em off.
I don't understand this,
In my experience, the smaller the sensor, the harder it is to knock or accidentally pull off.
Plus there is a larger proportional area of stickiness compared to the lighter sensor.

Has anyone heard what the price will be for self funding?

you sound very biased to dexcom some people like me donot have the money for dexcom ,i use the libre 2 with xdrip app on my phone and can calbrate any time and find it to be very accurate most of the time .unlike dexcom calibrating twice a day.

I gather Libre 3 will be available as a full CGM - so not an option for people who have Libre 2 on prescription to switch to, but available with a separate funding model / criteria as per Dexcom etc.

Will be interesting to see how this slots into the proposed new NICE guidance on CGM.

View attachment 20365

Why won't it be available to libre2 uses?

Why won't it be available to libre2 uses?
It won't be a straight switch, it will be the same channels as getting funding for Dexcom and only available to those with more complex cases so bog standard Type 1 MDI'ers don't stand a chance

View attachment 20365
Odd that the picture is of L1 and not the L3 the post is announcing

A friend of mine who works in electronics did a tear down of one of my old Libre 2 sensors - the main chip isn't available commercially available so he couldn't find the datasheet but he found a similar one and even some reverse engineered code (The s/ware is written in a version of java) online. There's not a lot in them. A BT chip, the main MCU and a temperature sensor.

(Sorry, nothing to do with this thread, but some folk might be interested.)

Last edited:
Odd that the picture is of L1 and not the L3 the post is announcing
And shows a Reader although the article clearly says that it will only be read via the phone app.
I suspect it is lazy journalism rather than an Abbott marketing issue.

Doing an online image search, that picture seems to only appear on the Diabetes Times website.

It won't be a straight switch, it will be the same channels as getting funding for Dexcom and only available to those with more complex cases so bog standard Type 1 MDI'ers don't stand a chance
But those channels should be changing (starting next week) when the updated NICE guidelines come into force. And if Libre 3 costs about the same as the previous versions then I'd have thought it would be more about patient choice than funding.

But those channels should be changing (starting next week) when the updated NICE guidelines come into force. And if Libre 3 costs about the same as the previous versions then I'd have thought it would be more about patient choice than funding.
And that's fine for the likes of England who go by NICE guidelines but sadly Scotland don't so things won't change at all for the likes of me and many others

As has been pointed out quite a few times, they are definitely guidelines so interpretation will vary.
I know in my CCG, so far, the Libre funding has come from a different pot to the CGM funding and it takes time to move the NHS funding juggernaut so I am not expecting everyone treated with insulin to be gifted with a CGM on 1st April ... it's almost as likely to be a huge April Fools joke.

Hmmm, I was about to change my last post to say "the Libre funding has come from a different piggy bank to ...." but the picture of a giant farm of giant pigpens distracted and scared me a little 😱

Can't see why that would be as cost to nhs is same as far as I'm aware, only cost difference would be new reader rather than sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back