Insulin resistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
The concentrated insulins used in a pump are likely to be the most helpful. I know that they have currently given you the U100 at present but I would encourage you to push for the higher concentration to reduce the amounts that you need to inject.
They've given me the U100 in the viles to for my insulin which makes no sense to me as the pens weren't working anyway

Did you get the U200 or U500 insulin to help your lumps? Can you write down an average day’s food for you, meal by meal?
They've given me the U100 which is the same pen I use before hand when injecting and it's not making a difference at all

@Laura0194 What insulin pump are you on? How often are you doing a set change? What is your average basal rate for the day and your TDD?

Also what is your carb insulin ratio and when did you last do a basal test?

Sorry one last question so we can help you. When you say your levels are high what are they before meals and two hours after meals and upon waking and what's your one day and seven day BG average?

Sorry one last question so we can help you. When you say your levels are high what are they before meals and two hours after meals and upon waking and what's your one day and seven day BG average?
My levels can range from 5 or below or 12 and then as soon as I eat there HI all day

My levels can range from 5 or below or 12 and then as soon as I eat there HI all day
It's good that you can go as low as 5. What do you think gets you down to 5? What do you do to get them back down from HI when they're at that level for the rest of the day after eating. It's great if you can answer all of the questions so we can help.

@Laura0194 What insulin pump are you on? How often are you doing a set change? What is your average basal rate for the day and your TDD?
Basal rate is
00.00-04.00 7 units
04.00-07.00 9 units
07.00-10.00 7.7 units
10.00-15.00 8.5 units
15.00-22.00 10 units
22.00-24.00 9.5 units

It's good that you can go as low as 5. What do you think gets you down to 5? What do you do to get them back down from HI when they're at that level for the rest of the day after eating. It's great if you can answer all of the questions so we can help.
I can't that's the problem I take insulin doesn't make a difference and I don't really know to be honest with the mornings one it's a weird one

I can't that's the problem I take insulin doesn't make a difference and I don't really know to be honest with the mornings one it's a weird one
Laura it's probably best to go back to basics. Have you got your DAFNE information - I assume that you did a DAFNE course or equivalent to get your pump? That should give you information about how to change your carb/insulin ratios.
However, you may want to start with your Basal testing first if you're dropping from HI during the day to near normal levels in the morning. Here is a link to basal testing https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/basal-testing-made-easy.19060/

Insulin resistance doesn't just affect basal doses but carb/insulin ratios as well. It will get confusing if you do the basal testing and change your insulin ratios at the same time. Personally I would start on the basal testing first which can be done during different blocks of the day.

Laura it's probably best to go back to basics. Have you got your DAFNE information - I assume that you did a DAFNE course or equivalent to get your pump? That should give you information about how to change your carb/insulin ratios.
However, you may want to start with your Basal testing first if you're dropping from HI during the day to near normal levels in the morning. Here is a link to basal testing https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/basal-testing-made-easy.19060/

Insulin resistance doesn't just affect basal doses but carb/insulin ratios as well. It will get confusing if you do the basal testing and change your insulin ratios at the same time. Personally I would start on the basal testing first which can be done during different blocks of the day.
The Basel ratings are what my doctor put me on when I first got the pump she's changed the rating twice already because of my levels being to hi still and I did do the carb ratio before but again didn't do anything either

Laura, are you still on Dexcom? Can you post a photo/screenshot of your sensor graph so that we can see what is happening with your levels?
Can you give us an idea of the sort of things you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and evening meal? I think you said your ratio was 30:40. Is that still the case and is it that for all meals?
Do you snack much or comfort eat. I am not being critical in asking that but just wondering why your levels go HI during the day, when you are injecting insulin. I used to be a terrible comfort eater so I know it is very challenging, hence no criticism, but it helps us to understand what is going on if we know the sort of meals and snacks you eat.
Do you keep notes on your Dexcom of when you inject and when you eat?

Really good to hear that your levels do come down overnight, so that is a positive!

How many carbs do you eat for each meal @Laura0194 ie breakfast, lunch and evening meal? I’d try cutting my carbs right down to start with. That way you can reduce the mealtime insulin you take and hopefully get some in range results. Also, it’s a vicious circle. The more insulin you take, sometimes the more resistant you become, so reducing the amount as much as possible should help.

Also, maybe it’s something about the analogue insulins. Have you tried regular human insulin like Humulin (and yes, you can use it in a pump despite what some people say)?

Have medical conditions that cause insulin resistance been ruled out? Does anyone in your family have diabetes and similar problems?

Hello! I am a long term Term Type 1 diabetic (~60 years). To this day I remain on porcine insulin as with the synthetics I get no hypo symptoms even when below 2.0. My previous podiatrist's brother was diagnosed Type 1 but in his twenties and was switched to porcine as he had no hypo awareness and I believe lost his licence. I have though heard of someone needing lower doses with better control after they were switched to porcine. I think it is worth asking the question.

Laura, are you still on Dexcom? Can you post a photo/screenshot of your sensor graph so that we can see what is happening with your levels?
Can you give us an idea of the sort of things you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and evening meal? I think you said your ratio was 30:40. Is that still the case and is it that for all meals?
Do you snack much or comfort eat. I am not being critical in asking that but just wondering why your levels go HI during the day, when you are injecting insulin. I used to be a terrible comfort eater so I know it is very challenging, hence no criticism, but it helps us to understand what is going on if we know the sort of meals and snacks you eat.
Do you keep notes on your Dexcom of when you inject and when you eat?

Really good to hear that your levels do come down overnight, so that is a positive!
Yeah sure I eat cereal in the morning or toast just depends I don't really eat lunch because my levels always go up after I eat breakfast and they don't come down even if I put a correction in still doesn't make a difference, I'm quite a healthy eater I eat veg pretty much every day I eat fruit I have like rice and pasta I have the odd one of take out food but it's just a one off I drink plenty of water everyday I just don't under stand what I'm doing wrong I'll send you the graph to of todays one

IMG_3270.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back