"In the grey area..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forum.

QUOTE="fairyhedgehog, post: 735859, member: 19171"]You're right - I've not been offered any real support. Anyway, I've ordered the blood monitor recommended in here and I'll have to see how I go.

The trouble with starting from a fairly slim base is that most of the advice seems to be about losing loads of weight. I think I could lose a stone before it got silly (so I suppose that's quite a lot really) but I think I mostly need to focus on monitoring blood sugar and being far more active.
[/QUOTE]
Gina...you can make improvements without losing too much weight (or any if you really do not need/want to)...if you are overweight then losing weight would be a factor in reducing your blood sugars...as you are not...that's not a real consideration for you...sometimes you have to be selfish in your efforts to manage/control your diabetes...occasionally 'pig headed'...most definitely persistent...it's about getting what you need...many of us where given little information in respect of our diabetes control...often given a prescription...left to fend for ourselves...I was in that position...I learnt that the hard way after being diagnosed with a number of serious health conditions (not limited to but including diabetes)...came to the forum...best thing I could have done...read Gretchen Becker's book 2nd best thing...began testing my blood sugars (although advised by my GP & DSN not to)...that was the way forward for me...it is confusing...worrying...however...once you 'arm' yourself with the right information...things will fall into place...testing your blood is not difficult...at the start I baulked at the prospect...now it's just a matter of routine (blimey so many clichés from me this morning)...honestly it ...does get better...I look forward to you gaining confidence...telling us of your progress...who knows...advising others here in time...as many of us have done...now time to get started😉😉😉.

Gina...you can make improvements without losing too much weight (or any if you really do not need/want to)...if you are overweight then losing weight would be a factor in reducing your blood sugars...as you are not...that's not a real consideration for you...sometimes you have to be selfish in your efforts to manage/control your diabetes...occasionally 'pig headed'...most definitely persistent...it's about getting what you need...many of us where given little information in respect of our diabetes control...often given a prescription...left to fend for ourselves...I was in that position...I learnt that the hard way after being diagnosed with a number of serious health conditions (not limited to but including diabetes)...came to the forum...best thing I could have done...read Gretchen Becker's book 2nd best thing...began testing my blood sugars (although advised by my GP & DSN not to)...that was the way forward for me...it is confusing...worrying...however...once you 'arm' yourself with the right information...things will fall into place...testing your blood is not difficult...at the start I baulked at the prospect...now it's just a matter of routine (blimey so many clichés from me this morning)...honestly it ...does get better...I look forward to you gaining confidence...telling us of your progress...who knows...advising others here in time...as many of us have done...now time to get started😉😉😉.[/QUOTE]

That's encouraging. Thank you!

I got my blood test monitor today and I've done two blood tests (not counting the one that said "E - 2" because I hadn't read the instructions!)

4pm (ish) (at least 3 hours after lunch) 5.8
Ate about 6 or 7 nuts and a sugar free yoghurt
5.30 pm 6.5

I've been eating much more carefully since Monday; almost no sugar (except small amounts of dark chocolate) and fewer carbs. Those figures don't look too scary to me; am I right?

I got my blood test monitor today and I've done two blood tests (not counting the one that said "E - 2" because I hadn't read the instructions!)

4pm (ish) (at least 3 hours after lunch) 5.8
Ate about 6 or 7 nuts and a sugar free yoghurt
5.30 pm 6.5

I've been eating much more carefully since Monday; almost no sugar (except small amounts of dark chocolate) and fewer carbs. Those figures don't look too scary to me; am I right?
Well done Gina...you've started....those figures sound good...the 5.8 is below diabetic range...with just a small rise after eating . since you haven't had a full day of testing yet...once you get into a routine you will have a better idea of how you're progressing....have you decided how often you plan to test...I test on waking...that gives me a starting point for the day...sometimes I eat breakfast immediately...so I'll test two hours after...if I don't eat straight away...then I'll test before breakfast...then again 2 hours later...it sounds hard...it really isn't...you just need to establish yourself a routine...as said find what works for you...how did you do with the finger pricking?...hopefully not as difficult as it sounds...good luck...sounds like you are making a good start...it will get easier as you gain more knowledge...get more confident...keep us updated...if you have any questions...fire away...I'm sure we'd be happy to help...have a good weekend.

Thanks, Bubbsie!

I thought I'd test when I get up and before each meal, and one or two hours after each meal - I'm not clear yet which is best or if I need to do both at first.

Once I've worked out what's working for me to eat and do and what isn't, I might need to test less often.

The finger pricking was trivial. Working out how to hold the monitor to get the blood onto the test strip correctly was what fazed me, until I read the instructions (doh!)

Thanks, Bubbsie!

I thought I'd test when I get up and before each meal, and one or two hours after each meal - I'm not clear yet which is best or if I need to do both at first.

Once I've worked out what's working for me to eat and do and what isn't, I might need to test less often.

The finger pricking was trivial. Working out how to hold the monitor to get the blood onto the test strip correctly was what fazed me, until I read the instructions (doh!)

You made me laugh Gina...I rarely read the instructions on anything...I prefer to test just before I eat...then 2 hours after eating...that gives me a good indication of how I've reacted to the food...as you say once you establish what is right in your diet...you may decide to test less often...the waking figure will give you a starting point to see how you progress throughout the day...some do test before bed...I don't bother...initially I did...but...that's one I've dispensed with...seems like you've got things in hand...did you get a chance to read the book I mentioned?...you can preview it on Amazon...read some of it before deciding if you will benefit from it...great start Gina...keep at it...you will get there...impressed.

Hi. It's best to test just before a meal, then two hrs afterwards, in time you may or may not wish to do more in depth testing, till then 2 hrs afterwards is fine
Have you read Test review adjust by Alan S
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.co.uk/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

For future reference it's in the thread called *Useful links for peop which is at the top of the newbies forum, where you will find a lot more useful links.
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/useful-links-for-people-new-to-diabetes.10406/

You made me laugh Gina...I rarely read the instructions on anything...I prefer to test just before I eat...then 2 hours after eating...that gives me a good indication of how I've reacted to the food...as you say once you establish what is right in your diet...you may decide to test less often...the waking figure will give you a starting point to see how you progress throughout the day...some do test before bed...I don't bother...initially I did...but...that's one I've dispensed with...seems like you've got things in hand...did you get a chance to read the book I mentioned?...you can preview it on Amazon...read some of it before deciding if you will benefit from it...great start Gina...keep at it...you will get there...impressed.

I think I looked at the book you mentioned and decided it's not for me right now - I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with information! Mostly now I want to look at food ideas for what I can eat sensibly.

Thank you so much for your help and support. It makes a big difference.

Hi. It's best to test just before a meal, then two hrs afterwards, in time you may or may not wish to do more in depth testing, till then 2 hrs afterwards is fine
Have you read Test review adjust by Alan S
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.co.uk/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

For future reference it's in the thread called *Useful links for peop which is at the top of the newbies forum, where you will find a lot more useful links.
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/useful-links-for-people-new-to-diabetes.10406/

I did see that, thank you, and now you've reminded me to look at it again! It does seem that now I have a meter I can work out what works for me - and that is my plan!

Reactions: Ljc
I think I looked at the book you mentioned and decided it's not for me right now - I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with information! Mostly now I want to look at food ideas for what I can eat sensibly.

Thank you so much for your help and support. It makes a big difference.
I understand, information overload. Just for the time being Take a step back from reading up on everything, do make notes so you know where to go back to etc.
I don't know if anyone has given you a link or you've found the thread on here called *what did you eat yesterday*
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/what-did-you-eat-yesterday.30349/

It would help if you told us what you like to eat,

Swathes of information available Gin...understandably you need to limit yourself...can't do everything at once...can't read everything at once...you seem to have grasped the right principles to get you off to a great start...once you're really up & running with your testing regime...you'll be amazed at just how much information the results will provide...keep us updated when you can...good work.

I understand, information overload. Just for the time being Take a step back from reading up on everything, do make notes so you know where to go back to etc.
I don't know if anyone has given you a link or you've found the thread on here called *what did you eat yesterday*

I had seen it - and now you've suggested it, I've bookmarked it! It does look full of ideas.

I don't know how to say everything I normally eat! I love pasta, and bread - so for the moment I'm eating much less of each, and only the low GI varieties. I've found some bread that is similar to the Burgen bread everyone recommends!

I've got avocadoes, and sugar free yoghurt, and nuts, and I'm going to see how I do with porridge oats. I was using instant porridge not realising it's full of sugar! I've been eating chicken and ham and lots of salad in this heat. I love vegetables but I also like chips. I don't like cooking so I prefer things I can just bung in the oven and I think that might have to change.

I'm being fairly strict at the moment, plus upping my activity levels a lot. I reckon if I can get my blood sugar nice and low, my body will have a chance to recover and then I might be able to allow myself a little bit more leeway. Any relaxation of being really strict will feel like a party! Diabetes.co.uk recommends doing it the other way and gradually tightening up, but that would feel terrible to me.

About the blood testing:

This am my fasting BG was 5.2, then an hour later after breakfast it was 6.1, but I'm not sure I gave it the full hour before testing, because I timed it from when I first tested and then I had to put breakfast together! How soon is the soonest I can test it, or when is it most likely to spike?

I did eat a sensible breakfast: 1 slice of Vurgel soya linseed toast, Anchor lighter spreadable, half avocado, sugar free yoghurt, and tea with semi-skimmed milk. (I've had eggs the last three days so I wanted a change!)

About the blood testing:

This am my fasting BG was 5.2, then an hour later after breakfast it was 6.1, but I'm not sure I gave it the full hour before testing, because I timed it from when I first tested and then I had to put breakfast together! How soon is the soonest I can test it, or when is it most likely to spike?

I did eat a sensible breakfast: 1 slice of Vurgel soya linseed toast, Anchor lighter spreadable, half avocado, sugar free yoghurt, and tea with semi-skimmed milk. (I've had eggs the last three days so I wanted a change!)
Gina...5.2 on waking sounds excellent...no real fixed rule about the length of time after food to test...most here (to my knowledge) test after 2 hours...but some do test an hour after food...that shows you how high your blood sugar rises in response to that particular meal...when your blood sugar will be at its peak...the 2 hour test will tell you tell you how efficient your body was at getting rid of that temporary high...its not a guaranteed science...different for all of us...and of course a matter of individual preference...a case of experimenting...see what works best for you...if you can manage it...you could do both on the odd occasion...see how high your blood sugar 'spikes'...then test after another hour see how far it has come down...tempted to try that myself...you've spiked (no pun intended) my interest.

Gina...5.2 on waking sounds excellent...no real fixed rule about the length of time after food to test...most here (to my knowledge) test after 2 hours...but some do test an hour after food...that shows you how high your blood sugar rises in response to that particular meal...when your blood sugar will be at its peak...the 2 hour test will tell you tell you how efficient your body was at getting rid of that temporary high...its not a guaranteed science...different for all of us...and of course a matter of individual preference...a case of experimenting...see what works best for you...if you can manage it...you could do both on the odd occasion...see how high your blood sugar 'spikes'...then test after another hour see how far it has come down...tempted to try that myself...you've spiked (no pun intended) my interest.
That makes sense of the one and two hour tests.

I think at the moment I need to try all sorts and see what sticks. I'd like to know both how high my BG gets and how quickly it comes down. Once I've got an idea of what my body is doing, I'll become less obsessed. Hopefully!

That makes sense of the one and two hour tests.

I think at the moment I need to try all sorts and see what sticks. I'd like to know both how high my BG gets and how quickly it comes down. Once I've got an idea of what my body is doing, I'll become less obsessed. Hopefully!
Not obsessive...good approach...if we didn't experiment...how would we know what suits us best...all a good learning experience Gina...nothing wrong with being well motivated...don't let anyone tell you any different😉...particularly your health care team...the DSN I first saw 7 months after my diagnosis said my testing routine was obsessive...whilst at the same time accepting my control of my BG was as the GP said 'excellent'...I no longer see her.

Obsessive testing For The Win if it gives good BG control! What matters to me is to be as healthy as I can be.

And today I went on an indoor climbing taster session and I'm hooked! I hope that will encourage me to be more active.

Testing today just over an hour after chicken, broccoli, onion, peas and pasta - I got 8.1. That's my highest yet and even though it was wholemeal I suspect the pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back