"In the grey area..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairyhedgehog

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi,

I'm Gina, (or FH, whichever!)

I've just had a blood test for crampy feet at night, which showed cholesterol a little too high, liver issues that need another blood test in four or five weeks (worry, worry), and blood sugar "in the grey area; it's not diabetes but it will be in ten years time if you don't do something about it". I assume this means prediabetes.

I'm shocked and confused, which is a normal newbie reaction, I guess.

My BMI is 21, my waist to hips is 31:39 = 0.8 and I cycle most days, so this was unexpected. My father's cousin had type 1 diabetes but no one else in the family did or does have it.

My GP said to go over to a low GI diet. I eat lots of vegetables and meat, but also a fair amount of potatoes, pasta and bread. I'm trying to gen up on what's good to eat and what isn't so great. I already don't drink fizzy drinks or have sugar in tea or coffee, so I can't cut those out. I'm hoping a small amount of dark chocolate can stay.

I guess I've a few more pounds I could afford to lose, and I could definitely up my activity levels. I had CFS/ME a few years back and I've got into bad habits of sitting too much too often. At least my fitbit nags me to move and I've booked in for a lesson on a climbing wall on Saturday! I need more muscle mass and I have to get it somehow. I hope I don't have to go to the gym; it's boring.

Not being completely inactive, or overweight, or having a particularly poor diet, I thought I was immune. Did I say I'm shocked? I'm shocked. I'm glad to have found this place where I can find some of the answers I need.

Hi Welcome. Try not to worry ok, hard I know, but you're in the very good position with a bit of knowledge and work of being able to prevent this condition developing any further.
Ask as many questions as you want to, we'll do our best to help.

Type2 diabetes is not only to do with ones lifestyle as many would have you believe, their is a genetic element too.
I was the first known diabetic of ant type in my family, however since my diagnosis several others on both sides of my family have developed T2, some were slim and fit.

A couple of squares of very dark chocolate should be fine.
TBH the best thing you can do , is monitor your BG (blood glucose) levels yourself.
Sadly it's unlikely you will be provided with a glucose meter and test strips , but it's well worth asking for one. If you're told no I am sure @Bubbsie will be willing to help you fight for one, but while you're waiting , many here use the SD Codefree meter available from Homehealth .
We use the mmol/l measurement in the uk , your also entitle to claim VAT relief.
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/
It's testing strips are around £7 for 50 where high street brands are £15 to £30.

I hope your other tests come back as ok esp the liver.

To many carbs are not good for us esp the starchy carbs like white bread, potatoes esp mash, rice and pasta. Don't try cutting them right out ok just cut down and until you find suitable subsitues , fill up on veg that grows above ground sugar is just another carb, so no need to look at the of which are sugars on he label which is usually on the back of foods, just look at the total carbs for the portion size you are going to have.
We have a lot of helpful links, info and a highly recommended book , on a thread called
Useful links for people new to diabetes, which you'll find at the top of the newbies say hello here forum. The T2 section is about halfway down,
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/useful-links-for-people-new-to-diabetes.10406/

I know your pre diabetic rather than full blown , but our various diets will go a long way to help you

Last edited:
Hi Welcome. [...]

I know your pre diabetic rather than full blown , but our various diets will go a long way to help you

Thank you for the welcome and the help! I was hoping not to have to monitor my blood but hey ho! Whatever works!

I'll follow up on those links and thanks again.

Reactions: Ljc
Thank you for the welcome and the help! I was hoping not to have to monitor my blood but hey ho! Whatever works!

I'll follow up on those links and thanks again.
Honestly it isn't bad , is it needle phobia or just the thought of it.

Hi,

I'm Gina, (or FH, whichever!)

I've just had a blood test for crampy feet at night, which showed cholesterol a little too high, liver issues that need another blood test in four or five weeks (worry, worry), and blood sugar "in the grey area; it's not diabetes but it will be in ten years time if you don't do something about it". I assume this means prediabetes.

I'm shocked and confused, which is a normal newbie reaction, I guess.

My BMI is 21, my waist to hips is 31:39 = 0.8 and I cycle most days, so this was unexpected. My father's cousin had type 1 diabetes but no one else in the family did or does have it.

My GP said to go over to a low GI diet. I eat lots of vegetables and meat, but also a fair amount of potatoes, pasta and bread. I'm trying to gen up on what's good to eat and what isn't so great. I already don't drink fizzy drinks or have sugar in tea or coffee, so I can't cut those out. I'm hoping a small amount of dark chocolate can stay.

I guess I've a few more pounds I could afford to lose, and I could definitely up my activity levels. I had CFS/ME a few years back and I've got into bad habits of sitting too much too often. At least my fitbit nags me to move and I've booked in for a lesson on a climbing wall on Saturday! I need more muscle mass and I have to get it somehow. I hope I don't have to go to the gym; it's boring.

Not being completely inactive, or overweight, or having a particularly poor diet, I thought I was immune. Did I say I'm shocked? I'm shocked. I'm glad to have found this place where I can find some of the answers I need.
Gina...please don't blame yourself for the results of your blood tests...as Lcj says there is very likely to be a genetic pre-disposition in your family history towards diabetes...it is shocking when you receive the news...however...positively... you have a chance to address it before diabetes develops...I have no idea how much you have been told about being pre-diabetic...I suspect very little...shortly after my diagnosis I read a book by Gretchen Becker...called Type 2 Diabetes The First Year...it changed my perspective on diabetes...she is a type 2 diabetic herself...who takes you through her first year from diagnosis onwards month by month...she has also written a book on pre-diabetes...it will explain what the diagnosis means...help you to fully understand it ...I really recommend you try to get a copy...she writes in a very easy style...explains matters in simple terms...that will give you a full picture of what you are dealing with...what the condition is...what you can do to reduce your risk of it developing it...why/how to test your blood...and much more...available on Amazon...called Prediabetes What you need to know to keep it away...worth the investment...if you have any specific questions...post them here...someone here will be able to advise/suggest a solution...good luck...keep us updated...I'll be interested to hear of your progress

Last edited:
Honestly it isn't bad , is it needle phobia or just the thought of it.

I think it's facing up to the reality of how serious this is. I'm still partly in denial - this can't happen to me, I'm thin! Well, yes it is happening and it's scary and I need to do something about it.

Also I worry that my GP will think I'm going over the top but I don't know why I'm worried about that, especially as she is a very nice and understanding GP.

I think it's facing up to the reality of how serious this is. I'm still partly in denial - this can't happen to me, I'm thin! Well, yes it is happening and it's scary and I need to do something about it.

Also I worry that my GP will think I'm going over the top but I don't know why I'm worried about that, especially as she is a very nice and understanding GP.
Gina...she may be very nice & understanding...however...what support has your GP/Practice given you re: adjusting your diet...lifestyle...or advice on how to prevent diabetes developing?...there are several members here who were pre-diabetic... given no support either...from memory also a couple who when diabetes was finally diagnosed...discovered from previous blood tests they would had been in the pre-diabetic range for some while...yet not advised of that... consequently all went on to develop diabetes...so...what your GP thinks of you being pro-active is not something you should worry about...you're doing it for yourself...unlike the popular myth... you don't have to be overweight or inactive to have type 2 diabetes...it not a blame game...nobody wants to be diabetic...in the main it's not a choice we make...it happens...you need to understand there is a genetic link...do try to read the book...it will explain everything your GP/Practice has failed to tell you... seize the opportunity to prevent your diabetes developing.

It is hard when your first told, it will take time to digest it, but you'll get there.
Remember your pre diabetic, so you're in with a good chance of preventing or at least delaying the onset.

Many of us on here have lived with diabetes for a long time, me since the mid 90s , some a hell of a lot longer. Like quite a few on here it's highly possible you could end up fitter and healthier than you've been for a long time. Honest.
And no it doesn't mean spending hours in the gym or doing weight training , unless you want to of course,

We Have one person on here who was told she was diabetic, but she was pre just like you are, very recently @wirralass was given some very good news, (so recently she is still on cloud nine) she's beaten it into touch. , I've tagged her, so I am sure she will be along later.

Gina...she may be very nice & understanding...however...what support has your GP/Practice given you re: adjusting your diet...lifestyle...or advice on how to prevent diabetes developing?...there are several members here who were pre-diabetic... given no support either...from memory also a couple who when diabetes was finally diagnosed...discovered from previous blood tests they would had been in the pre-diabetic range for some while...yet not advised of that... consequently all went on to develop diabetes...so...what your GP thinks of you being pro-active is not something you should worry about...you're doing it for yourself...unlike the popular myth... you don't have to be overweight or inactive to have type 2 diabetes...it not a blame game...nobody wants to be diabetic...in the main it's not a choice we make...it happens...you need to understand there is a genetic link...do try to read the book...it will explain everything your GP/Practice has failed to tell you... seize the opportunity to prevent your diabetes developing.

You're right - I've not been offered any real support. Anyway, I've ordered the blood monitor recommended in here and I'll have to see how I go.

The trouble with starting from a fairly slim base is that most of the advice seems to be about losing loads of weight. I think I could lose a stone before it got silly (so I suppose that's quite a lot really) but I think I mostly need to focus on monitoring blood sugar and being far more active.

It is hard when your first told, it will take time to digest it, but you'll get there.
Remember your pre diabetic, so you're in with a good chance of preventing or at least delaying the onset.

Many of us on here have lived with diabetes for a long time, me since the mid 90s , some a hell of a lot longer. Like quite a few on here it's highly possible you could end up fitter and healthier than you've been for a long time. Honest.
And no it doesn't mean spending hours in the gym or doing weight training , unless you want to of course,

We Have one person on here who was told she was diabetic, but she was pre just like you are, very recently @wirralass was given some very good news, (so recently she is still on cloud nine) she's beaten it into touch. , I've tagged her, so I am sure she will be along later.

Thank you; that's really encouraging.

Hello and welcome to the forum. 🙂 Definitely keep the dark chocolate, just ditch the pees, potatoes, pasta, pastry. Interesting about the cramps and liver being related, I have both, and I'm due a blood test which I'm putting off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back