I asked for a 'diet' coke......GRRRRRR :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarbum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just got home from the pub. I was 5.7mmols before I left, had a gin and slim (I saw the bottle and it was slimline) and then a "diet" coke. I thought it tasted nice (!) it must have been ordinary coke because my BM is now 19.9mmols 😱

I am already bad and paranoid about those soft drink handheld button pushing thingymajigies to dispense soft drinks in pubs. Now this is going to make me WORSE 😡

It probably doesnt have much to do with diabetes how angry this has made me, more about how I perceive others and my low level of tolerance for incompetence, but this has really made me blow a gasget. Im trying so hard for a better HbA1c perhaps I'm getting a little too desperate.

Sorry, I needed to get that out my system.

Rant over :(

I just got home from the pub. I was 5.7mmols before I left, had a gin and slim (I saw the bottle and it was slimline) and then a "diet" coke. I thought it tasted nice (!) it must have been ordinary coke because my BM is now 19.9mmols 😱

I am already bad and paranoid about those soft drink handheld button pushing thingymajigies to dispense soft drinks in pubs. Now this is going to make me WORSE 😡

It probably doesnt have much to do with diabetes how angry this has made me, more about how I perceive others and my low level of tolerance for incompetence, but this has really made me blow a gasget. Im trying so hard for a better HbA1c perhaps I'm getting a little too desperate.

Sorry, I needed to get that out my system.

Rant over :(

maybe its time one of these journalists who like to write about D did an investigation about this...anyone got any contacts ?

How annoying i bet at least half of us have come up against that problem , i think tez has the best idea where he uses a ketostix or maybe test strip(cant remember which) and tests the drink but of course if the coke is mixed with something else guess it dont work but i think am has hit upon something interesting there it would be good to send a journo of some type into some of the more popular resturent establishments and do a report on each. I knwo a few have had issues with macdonalds and i once had to tell o/h to get me a new drink that was witherspoons

Oh Sugarbum, I so understand... I've had that happen to me a few times, and you just feel rubbish afterwards! I'm not very good at telling what's diet or not (especially with Pepsi), but I think I'd feel a bit self-conscious sticking ketostix or test strips in my drink in the pub!

I have gone back to bar staff before and explained why it's so important to give diet drinks when they're ordered, and they're always mortified at their mistakes. Once I emailed the manager at a hotel after my stay there, and asked them to tell the bar staff about how important it is to make sure drinks really are diet, and they sent me a nice reply saying they would highlight it. I like to think I'm slowly re-educating bar staff round the country...

i think i contact that writer Dawn ? who was looking for a story about schools what d'ya think folks ?

It has happened to me before too, I ended up at 24! Hope you have got our levels back down again sugarbum.

i sent her a email shes a freelance writer so asked if she or any one she knows would be interested in investigating this story...

Oh my god, you guys ARE amazing.....

I honestly dont know what I would do without your support and understanding, you really dont know how much it means to me, ta muchly.

Pigeon, thanks for your understanding and I really like your comment. I think I will look at this pub online and see if I can contact them. Possibly you have given me the idea to put this grievance to rest in my mind, thanks.

Im glad (not in a bad way) that it has happened to other people too because my non-pancreatically challanged friends think I am very anal about seeing bottles of ''slimline' tonic I'm sure.

Im down to 14.8mmols. I did a good workout at the gym today and my treat was to have a pot of banoffee weightwatchers desert so I decided to 'go bonkers' and have it anyway 😉

Thanks again.

Oh my god, you guys ARE amazing.....

I honestly dont know what I would do without your support and understanding, you really dont know how much it means to me, ta muchly.

Pigeon, thanks for your understanding and I really like your comment. I think I will look at this pub online and see if I can contact them. Possibly you have given me the idea to put this grievance to rest in my mind, thanks.

Im glad (not in a bad way) that it has happened to other people too because my non-pancreatically challanged friends think I am very anal about seeing bottles of ''slimline' tonic I'm sure.

Im down to 14.8mmols. I did a good workout at the gym today and my treat was to have a pot of banoffee weightwatchers desert so I decided to 'go bonkers' and have it anyway 😉

Thanks again.

glad you on your way down sugar....the difference in you having your pud is it was your choice to have and so were in control of how to deal with it...the coke ...well its actually criminal IMO xxx big hugsxxxx

Glad to have been of support!

In case it helps you draft it, here was my email:

Hi there,

I stayed at the XXXXX Hotel the weekend of 17-19th April
for the a conference. I have to say it was a very nice
hotel, the rooms were clean and pleasant, the food was excellent and
the staff were very accomodating, so thank you.

I would just like to give some feedback for the bar staff, to ask that
they make sure that diet drinks are served when they are asked for. I
have type 1 diabetes, and asked for Diet Pepsi at the bar. I double
checked with the bar staff that I had got a diet drink, and they
confirmed it was. Unfortunately when I checked my blood sugar before
bed that night, it was the highest it has been in the past year! It
was definitely not a diet drink that I was provided with. Fortunately
I was able to take more insulin to address this, but other people with
diabetes who take different medication may not be able to adjust so
easily, and it could make someone ill.

I have no other complaints about what was a very good stay, but please
could you remind staff on the bar about making sure to serve diet
drinks when requested - the customer may not be just trying to lose
weight, it may be a medical requirement"

Their reply was:
"Good Morning,,

I have just read your E Mail to our reception relating to your stay at the Conference.

Please accept my apologies for the incident with relation to the Diet Coke, I will ensure that all the team see your E Mail and realise the importance of these things!

On a more positive note I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the Conference, we all hope to welcome you back to the Hotel next year."

Contacting them and getting a nice response definitely helped diffuse my anger at what had happened!

like others I too have been caught out - now I pay the extra to buy bottled or canned diet drinks

OK shouldn;t have to, but I would rather be safe

excellent template pigeon that is very useful 🙂

Thats a great letter pigeon, thanks for sharing.

I was already to go for it and it turns out they dont have a website for their pub, through google at least. Shame. Reading your response makes me feel a bit of justice though so ta anyway!

Am64 you are so right. My sugars are higher than the 14 now definately, Im so thirsty following my weightwatchers pud! But Im not going to deny myself such little pleasures! I am in control.

I think your idea on an article or survey, maybe even a poll on this website regarding how many of forum-ites believe they have been served the wrong drink would be interesting. Silly me, thought the reason it tasted different was that for once, the diet coke wasnt watered down in this pub! Wrong!

I posted about this a couple of days ago. If a soft drink does not test negetive with Diastix make a fuss! I wonder if it is an issue for enviromental health? It took me a couple of days to settle down as over corrected, went hypo and then rebounded. Grrr....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back