• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Hypo ? after evening meal

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone join the party have a really good night cap it’ll help you sleep better
Well it is the festive season, so if you can't party now, when can you!

Just to be clear, spirits are pretty much carb free but beer and cider quite high carb. A glass of red or dry white wine shouldn't have much impact on BG levels either. I have been naughty recently and treated myself to the odd glass of port which is higher than red wine but not as high carb as beer. Delicious with a chunk of nice cheese though. Currently an extra mature Somerset crunchy Vintage cheddar with an apple because my BG levels are too low to go to bed.... not had an apple for ages!! Really enjoying my little party here for one

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Grovesy, I’ll try to get my carbs in the afternoon before my evening meal.
I’d try not to cram in all the carbs you’re used to eating but rather reduce then.
Cut down the bread and potatoes and cut out the sweet treats completely.

Also invest in a blood glucose monitor and start treating yourself so that you can build a better understanding of how what you eat impacts your blood glucose levels.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone join the party have a really good night cap it’ll help you sleep better
Alcohol doesn’t give you the right kind of sleep and prolongs your cravings for carbs.

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Rebrascora hope you had a good Christmas did you enjoyed the festivite drinks like me !’just a quick question if you can help for a few weeks now my Bg has been 6.2 before my evening meal and 6.5 afterwards with rarely any deviation, should I regard this as my normal levels and try to stick to what I’m doing? weight is stuck on 14 stone though

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello again and Happy New Year.

Those pre and post meal readings are both good. If you wanted to try to lower them further you might need to look at what you are eating at breakfast and lunch and what your readings are then.... You only seem to have provided evening meal readings throughout this thread, but just wondering what your readings are like at other times of day and the sort of things you are eating for breakfast and lunch now.
If you are still eating too many carbs (like bread) during the day, particularly if you are incorporating more fat, like coffee with cream and cheese and obviously alcohol is empty calories, so whilst the odd drink over the festive period was nice, it shouldn't be a nightly treat as that will all slow/halt the weight loss. It is a balance between cutting enough carbs to make your body burn fat and how much fat you consume.
You can also increase your exercise levels to help weight loss. A good brisk daily walk or cycle or swim (chance would be a fine thing!) is as helpful as anything, if you can incorporate a hill into your walk or cycle as you get fitter that really helps. I live at the bottom of a mile long hill and it is pretty steep so I power walk up that hill every day and jog back down sometimes twice. It really is great exercise.

Hope that all makes sense. I feel like I have told you you can have more fat and alcohol in previous posts and now saying cut back on them but it is about balance and particularly if you want to lose weight you need to be more circumspect and then look to increase those treats a bit once you reach your target weight to stabilize it. But you do need to keep the carbs under control throughout the day and since you don't mention other meals it makes me wonder what you are eating then.

I should say a big congratulations though on your greatly improved BG readings and current weight loss. Those are fantastic achievements in themselves.... but always room for a little more progress. You do have to find a life balance though and not get too obsessive.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
just a quick question if you can help for a few weeks now my Bg has been 6.2 before my evening meal and 6.5 afterwards with rarely any deviation, should I regard this as my normal levels and try to stick to what I’m doing?
Sounds like you are doing really well @Sutherland53 - congratulations!

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Rebrascora hope your well, thanks for the advice I’ve started to take more readings today as you suggested, my, my what a shock !! Pre breakfast 8.2 post breakfast 12 !!! looks like my usual breakfast of 2 rounds of toast with butter , ( seeded bread) will be going out the window and 2 boiled eggs will be coming in !! I was quite surprised at the post breakfast reading, in fact I was annoyed because I thought I was keeping things under control more or less when viewing the evening meal figures so it seems that there’s still work to do !!! any of your excellent guidance would be more than welcome. On the subject of exercising I used to be really fit and played every sport you can think of and was good at them, of course I ate and drank like your typical male !!! Bread, curries, chips with everything!! my wife who died 6 years ago, used to tell me that every time she looked at me I had a slice of bread and butter in my hand !!! she was right because I must’ve been a real carboholic !!! until diagnosed with T2 recently. Unfortunately all that sport and running is now taking its toll on my right hip and knee so exercise is now limited which is annoying cause I love being active. What BG readings do you adhere to? I took the advice off the forum 4-7 pre dinner and 8.5 or less than 10 post dinner , I haven’t got any breakfast or other times acceptable readings, it would be good to know what my targets will be many, many thanks for your help Rebrascora it really is appreciated.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
4 - 7 before and no more than 2.8 more, 2 -sh hours afterwards, is the target for every meal not just dinner!

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hiya Trophywench, thank you for that! I expected you to reprimand me for allowing bread to pass my lips !! rest assured I only have it at breakfast and now I’m changing tack on that cheers ! by the way gin is good for you

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We are not here to judge or tell people off or tell them what they should or shouldn't eat, it is about advising people how to figure out which foods their body can tolerate and which it can't. We all have treats occasionally which we know will spike our levels. As Type 1 diabetics Jenny (trophywench) and myself can inject insulin to cover them. Most type 2 diabetics don't have that option so you either keep those naughty treats to once in a blue moon or reduce your intake of other carbs to allow you those odd treats and cut the portion size.... So try one slice of toast with some scrambled or poached eggs and see how you get on with that. If it is still too much, try half a slice. Normally I have creamy Greek natural yoghurt with berries and seeds but this morning I had a full cooked breakfast of sausage (95% meat content) bacon, black pudding... (contains some carbs but was a special treat as I do love it) an egg from one of my hens with fried onion, mushrooms and savoy cabbage... no bread or other carbs apart from the barley in the black pudding.... it was yum and I haven't needed anything else to eat all day and I have been pretty active.... Here it is for a bit of inspiration...Blue Monday Breakfast.jpg

Just because we are diabetic, doesn't mean we can't eat well... just have to choose the right things;)

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We are not here to judge or tell people off or tell them what they should or shouldn't eat, it is about advising people how to figure out which foods their body can tolerate and which it can't. We all have treats occasionally which we know will spike our levels. As Type 1 diabetics Jenny (trophywench) and myself can inject insulin to cover them. Most type 2 diabetics don't have that option so you either keep those naughty treats to once in a blue moon or reduce your intake of other carbs to allow you those odd treats and cut the portion size.... So try one slice of toast with some scrambled or poached eggs and see how you get on with that. If it is still too much, try half a slice. Normally I have creamy Greek natural yoghurt with berries and seeds but this morning I had a full cooked breakfast of sausage (95% meat content) bacon, black pudding... (contains some carbs but was a special treat as I do love it) an egg from one of my hens with fried onion, mushrooms and savoy cabbage... no bread or other carbs apart from the barley in the black pudding.... it was yum and I haven't needed anything else to eat all day and I have been pretty active.... Here it is for a bit of inspiration...View attachment 15981

Just because we are diabetic, doesn't mean we can't eat well... just have to choose the right things;)
Well that looks a brilliant breakfast meal I don’t think I would need anything else all day either if I had that I’m really a one meal a day person, I’ll have my breakfast toast and then nothing else until tea time as a rule, if I’m peckish I usually have a few slices of deli meat, ham or whatever, I’ll give the scrambled egg on toast a try, never thought about scrambled eggs instead of boiled thanks, let’s take the morning readings for a few days and then see how we get on, my pre bed reading was 6.2 so to get an 8.2 reading before any food or drink was a bit disappointing and unexpected really thanks again Rebrascora I’ll post the next few days results soon

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The increase in the morning reading is likely due to something called Dawn Phenomenon. It is believed to be a throwback to prehistoric days when we didn't have cupboards and fridges so breakfast had to be hunted down or foraged and energy was needed to fuel that so the liver developed a ritual of pumping out some extra glucose to help us start the day.

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ooh that’s interesting Rebrascora seems like diabetes has been around for a long time then!! I must have a word with this Dawn what’s her name!!!interesting that my pre dinner readings today was 5.4 !! wonder what it will be at around 9 ish, we’ll have to wait and see but I’ve only had rump steak, leeks, carrots and green beans which is a fairly reqular meal and it’s never spiked a reading, very interesting about the Dawn phenomenon though

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @rebrascora, hope your well a few readings as promised for you to look at and give your opinion, I’ve list pre breakfast/post, pre dinner/post and bed,over the last 4 days so here we go ....,
Pre breakfast 7.2,7.3,8.0,6.9
Post breakfast 8.7,7.9,8.4,7.6

pre dinner 5.2, 6.3, 8.0, 7.0 6.3
Post. 6.2, 7.5, 8.2, 6.7 7.5

pre bed 6.2, 6.4, 5.4 6.1 ........,

hope you can work out my scales !
Obviously not entered tonight’s pre bed reading but they look fairly consistent don’t they interesting spike halfway through the week, checked my diary and nothing really significant in my food intake to create it, I wasn’t eating fish/chips in bed!!! I could eat a small portion of fish/chips but I’ve put them on my banned list thanks for taking the time to look at those readings Rebrascora hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pre breakfast 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, 6.9
Post breakfast 8.7, 7.9, 8.4, 7.6

pre dinner 5.2, 6.3, 8.0, 7.0, 6.3
Post. 6.2, 7.5, 8.2, 6.7, 7.5

pre bed 6.2, 6.4, 5.4 6.1 ........,

Those look really good @Sutherland53

The old T2 guidance used to be 4-7 before meals and no higher than 8.5 by 2hrs after. Forum members who check before and after eating generally aim for a rise of no more than 2-3mmol/L from the meal.

Your readings all seem to fall within that. And your rises from before to after seem to be generally around the 0.5-1.5 mark. Great stuff!