Hypo ? after evening meal

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The foods which can supposedly become resistant starch don't feature in my menus at all.
I've never bothered testing it carefully enough that I could see if it does anything for me.

I do sometimes cook, cool, and reheat, but mostly for convenience (so I can easily get everything hot at the same time).

Paulbreen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for that info Paul it’s a real help, I thought that by switching to brown or seeded bread would be healthy, never realised the amount in them I need to take a long hard look at my carbs intake and make some definate changes
If your tech savvy and have a smart phone download the carbs and Cals app, it tells you everything about your meals especially the dreaded carbs by portion size, if not get the book by the same name does the same but you have to do a bit of calculating, it would be a good Xmas gift suggestion if anyone asks you what you want for xmas

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As others have said, it sounds like a hyper not a hypo. Hypos usually wake you up and your heart is racing because it triggers adrenaline to be released. Hypers when your BG is high make you fatigued and want to sleep. Hypers are usually caused by eating more carbs than your body can handle.

Do you know what your HbA1c result was at diagnosis? This is usually a number of 48 or over but can be as high as 3 figures if things are really bad. Knowing that number gives us an idea of where you are on the diabetes scale and is a starting point for your journey with diabetes.

On a day to day basis, you might find it helpful to purchase a BG meter and test your BG (Blood Glucose) levels to see what they are doing when you feel sleepy like that. It is also an extremely useful tool to help you figure out which foods cause you the most problems and need to be avoided and which you can get away with. So some people can get away with the odd slice of wholemeal bread/toast whilst others have found that it sends their BG into orbit and all bread is best avoided or special low carb alternatives purchased and used sparingly. Same with potatoes. Some people can manage a roastie or two or half a dozen chips but a jacket potato or mashed potato is a no go. Mashed potato is sometimes not much different to eating sugar when it comes to releasing glucose into the blood stream with some people. The cauliflower mash suggested tastes great. I drain it well and then mash with a good dollop of full fat cream cheese and a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and it goes great with high meat content sausages.... be aware that cheap sausages are a mixture of meat and rusk, which is mostly carbohydrate from grains, so that will also contribute to how high your BG levels go after eating them and combined with potato mash can act like rocket fuel for your BG levels. Essentially all carbohydrates are broken down into glucose by the digestive system and absorbed into the blood stream, so you need to start looking at food labels for the carbohydrate content which will be in very small print on the back or side of packaging. It will also say "of which sugars" but all you need to know is the toptal carb value so ignore the sugars bit.

If you are interested in getting a Blood Glucose meter and testing your levels at home, they are relatively inexpensive to buy at approx. £15 for a basic kit but you need to buy extra consumable items as the kit only comes with 10 lancets and test strips, which you use iup very quickly. It is therefore cost effective to buy a meter which has the cheapest test strips and for that reason people here on the forum find the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit healthcare Tee2 are the most economical and reliable to operate. The test strips are £8 for a pot of 50 whereas some other meters can be double or even triple that...... Anyway, just something to think about if you are interested in monitoring your BG levels and using that information to work out which foods your body can handle and which are putting your health at risk.

If you are a chocoholic, try to go for high cocoa content dark chocolate. Minimum 70% cocoa solids and just have one small square as a special treat. I tend to have it with a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter to make it go further and be more satisfying.

Anyway, hope some of that helps and you are reassured that you are not having a hypo.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you enjoy cooking then you may find my Facebook page - linked in my signature here - could give you some very delicious, satisfying and enjoyable very low carb suggestions so you can enjoy your meals by making some swaps that much reduce your carb intake. I am on a keto regime of 20 -25g of carb a day and I have desserts and bread as often as I like because I make my own from low carb and high fibre and fat ingredients.

Worth a look anyway just in case anything turns out to be useful for you.

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As others have said, it sounds like a hyper not a hypo. Hypos usually wake you up and your heart is racing because it triggers adrenaline to be released. Hypers when your BG is high make you fatigued and want to sleep. Hypers are usually caused by eating more carbs than your body can handle.

Do you know what your HbA1c result was at diagnosis? This is usually a number of 48 or over but can be as high as 3 figures if things are really bad. Knowing that number gives us an idea of where you are on the diabetes scale and is a starting point for your journey with diabetes.

On a day to day basis, you might find it helpful to purchase a BG meter and test your BG (Blood Glucose) levels to see what they are doing when you feel sleepy like that. It is also an extremely useful tool to help you figure out which foods cause you the most problems and need to be avoided and which you can get away with. So some people can get away with the odd slice of wholemeal bread/toast whilst others have found that it sends their BG into orbit and all bread is best avoided or special low carb alternatives purchased and used sparingly. Same with potatoes. Some people can manage a roastie or two or half a dozen chips but a jacket potato or mashed potato is a no go. Mashed potato is sometimes not much different to eating sugar when it comes to releasing glucose into the blood stream with some people. The cauliflower mash suggested tastes great. I drain it well and then mash with a good dollop of full fat cream cheese and a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and it goes great with high meat content sausages.... be aware that cheap sausages are a mixture of meat and rusk, which is mostly carbohydrate from grains, so that will also contribute to how high your BG levels go after eating them and combined with potato mash can act like rocket fuel for your BG levels. Essentially all carbohydrates are broken down into glucose by the digestive system and absorbed into the blood stream, so you need to start looking at food labels for the carbohydrate content which will be in very small print on the back or side of packaging. It will also say "of which sugars" but all you need to know is the toptal carb value so ignore the sugars bit.

If you are interested in getting a Blood Glucose meter and testing your levels at home, they are relatively inexpensive to buy at approx. £15 for a basic kit but you need to buy extra consumable items as the kit only comes with 10 lancets and test strips, which you use iup very quickly. It is therefore cost effective to buy a meter which has the cheapest test strips and for that reason people here on the forum find the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit healthcare Tee2 are the most economical and reliable to operate. The test strips are £8 for a pot of 50 whereas some other meters can be double or even triple that...... Anyway, just something to think about if you are interested in monitoring your BG levels and using that information to work out which foods your body can handle and which are putting your health at risk.

If you are a chocoholic, try to go for high cocoa content dark chocolate. Minimum 70% cocoa solids and just have one small square as a special treat. I tend to have it with a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter to make it go further and be more satisfying.

Anyway, hope some of that helps and you are reassured that you are not having a hypo.
Good morning rebrascora many, many thanks for your interesting and informative post I can now start aiming for certain targets given the excellent advise given yesterday and today, I’ll certainly send for the Tee2 monitor my Hb1 recorded in November was 56, that’s when I started on Sukkarto, review expected in February next year . Never been offered any follow up advice etc from my GP

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you enjoy cooking then you may find my Facebook page - linked in my signature here - could give you some very delicious, satisfying and enjoyable very low carb suggestions so you can enjoy your meals by making some swaps that much reduce your carb intake. I am on a keto regime of 20 -25g of carb a day and I have desserts and bread as often as I like because I make my own from low carb and high fibre and fat ingredients.

Worth a look anyway just in case anything turns out to be useful for you.

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If your tech savvy and have a smart phone download the carbs and Cals app, it tells you everything about your meals especially the dreaded carbs by portion size, if not get the book by the same name does the same but you have to do a bit of calculating, it would be a good Xmas gift suggestion if anyone asks you what you want for xmas

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good morning Paulbreen, thanks for the info, I’m going to get one of my sons to buy me Spirit Healthcare Tee 2 monitor as a Crimble prezzy as suggested by rebrascora in her recent post the advice coming my way is brilliant, it’s really comforting to see I’m not alone and gives me aims and targets instead of worries ! by the way yesterday I only had my usual 2 rounds of seeded bread and butter until about 5.30 and then had a slim well microwave Tikka Masala with Pilau rice, and I felt a bit sleepy afterwards but nowhere near the terrible crashing out of it like I have been suffering!! perhaps yourself and Rebrascora have hit the nail on the head by highlighting Carb overload at tea time !

Paulbreen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good morning Paulbreen, thanks for the info, I’m going to get one of my sons to buy me Spirit Healthcare Tee 2 monitor as a Crimble prezzy as suggested by rebrascora in her recent post the advice coming my way is brilliant, it’s really comforting to see I’m not alone and gives me aims and targets instead of worries ! by the way yesterday I only had my usual 2 rounds of seeded bread and butter until about 5.30 and then had a slim well microwave Tikka Masala with Pilau rice, and I felt a bit sleepy afterwards but nowhere near the terrible crashing out of it like I have been suffering!! perhaps yourself and Rebrascora have hit the nail on the head by highlighting Carb overload at tea time !
Fingers crossed and the BG monitor will be a great help for you, don’t forget test before you eat and again 2 hours later and your aiming to be only 2-3 higher after the 2 hours, if your more than that = too many carbs in the meal. Once you start monitoring it’s useful to make a diary for each meal, it will help you pinpoint how t manage your foods
BG Before
List of food in the meal and carb content if you can work it out
BG After 2 Hours
It seems a pain but really worth while and it’s great to bring along when you see a diabetic nurse, they will be able to give you tips
All that said looks like your starting in the right direction and I wish you the best of luck on your new journey

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi again.
Great that your family are going to get you a BG meter for Christmas. You will get through a lot of test strips and lancets in the first few weeks so it might be worth mentioning to them that buying a couple of extra pots of test strips and a box of lancets with the meter would be a good idea to keep you going. The 10 strips in the meter kit usually only last a couple of days by the time you waste a few figuring out how to operate it. I bought myself a special BG monitoring device with my birthday money and it was the best present I could have been given... after all what is more important than your health.... and having the confidence to know what is going on so that you can take control of it makes a huge difference compared to wondering if you are eating the right things and then finding out 3 months or 6 months later when you get a blood test, that you got it wrong.

Unfortunately your Slim Well ready meal was likely not a great choice either. Slimming foods are usually low fat and low fat foods usually have extra carbohydrates added in the form of sugars and starches to improve the texture and flavour because the natural fat/oil has been stripped back. Rice is also a high carb food and I would imagine it was probably white rice which will release it's glucose quite quickly.... hence you were still sleepy, even if not as bad as the previous night and of course not having lunch will have helped your levels to come down before your evening meal sent them back up again.
Most of us diabetics go for the normal fat or even creamy versions of things (yoghurt milk etc) because the fat helps to stabilise our BG levels, keeps us from feeling hungry and provides slow release energy but eating more fat has to be combined with eating less carbs otherwise you just put on weight. I have double cream in my morning coffee instead of milk because it is lower carb (milk contains a small amount of carbs in the form of lactose)
I appreciate that you have probably been told to lose weight or follow a low fat diet by health care professionals but eating more fat and a lot less carbs is an easier and more sustainable way to lose weight for many of us. There is a lot of misinformation about fat and many of us find we are a whole lot slimmer, fitter and healthier by eating it and it often happens that cholesterol levels reduce despite eating more fat.... providing you eat less carbs. The thing I find amazing is that I just don't feel hungry anymore like I used to and I eat so much less than I did. The difference now is that I buy quality, mostly basic ingredients and cook from scratch.

Just so you don't get the idea that food is going to be unenjoyable. I had a fillet steak last night, fried in lamb fat (done rare) and I had that with a large plate of salad (mixed lettuce leaves, 3 cherry tomatoes and cucumber) and a big dollop of cheese coleslaw (not low fat but a creamy one). I am on a low budget but it was in the "reduced for quick sale" section and it took 4 mins to cook.... Can't get much faster food than that! The fat and protein are slower to digest so they keep you feeling full for longer but they don't spike your Blood Glucose levels and therefore don't put you to sleep.... on the other hand, the shot of rum (no carbs in spirits) I had with my bedtime hot chocolate may have helped me to sleep! ;)

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you I’ll certainly visit your Facebook page, especially because I’ve always been a bread fiend and the thought of not having bread is awful but you might have saved the day!!
If you don't already have one - I recommend getting a bread machine. Often relatives have one gathering dust you can commandeer and I started out with one I inherited from my father that he bought in the 80s or 90s and it was okay while I worked out whether I would want a more sophisticated model - in the end I bought a very basic model for around fifty quid from Amazon and it has made life even easier. It is all well and good making bread by hand when the bread is an occasional treat but if the bread is going to become an everyday staple then a bread machine (especially one that has a dough cycle so you can make individual rolls and freeze them for convenience and/or make pizza bases that you can freeze) makes things less of a faff.

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi again.
Great that your family are going to get you a BG meter for Christmas. You will get through a lot of test strips and lancets in the first few weeks so it might be worth mentioning to them that buying a couple of extra pots of test strips and a box of lancets with the meter would be a good idea to keep you going. The 10 strips in the meter kit usually only last a couple of days by the time you waste a few figuring out how to operate it. I bought myself a special BG monitoring device with my birthday money and it was the best present I could have been given... after all what is more important than your health.... and having the confidence to know what is going on so that you can take control of it makes a huge difference compared to wondering if you are eating the right things and then finding out 3 months or 6 months later when you get a blood test, that you got it wrong.

Unfortunately your Slim Well ready meal was likely not a great choice either. Slimming foods are usually low fat and low fat foods usually have extra carbohydrates added in the form of sugars and starches to improve the texture and flavour because the natural fat/oil has been stripped back. Rice is also a high carb food and I would imagine it was probably white rice which will release it's glucose quite quickly.... hence you were still sleepy, even if not as bad as the previous night and of course not having lunch will have helped your levels to come down before your evening meal sent them back up again.
Most of us diabetics go for the normal fat or even creamy versions of things (yoghurt milk etc) because the fat helps to stabilise our BG levels, keeps us from feeling hungry and provides slow release energy but eating more fat has to be combined with eating less carbs otherwise you just put on weight. I have double cream in my morning coffee instead of milk because it is lower carb (milk contains a small amount of carbs in the form of lactose)
I appreciate that you have probably been told to lose weight or follow a low fat diet by health care professionals but eating more fat and a lot less carbs is an easier and more sustainable way to lose weight for many of us. There is a lot of misinformation about fat and many of us find we are a whole lot slimmer, fitter and healthier by eating it and it often happens that cholesterol levels reduce despite eating more fat.... providing you eat less carbs. The thing I find amazing is that I just don't feel hungry anymore like I used to and I eat so much less than I did. The difference now is that I buy quality, mostly basic ingredients and cook from scratch.

Just so you don't get the idea that food is going to be unenjoyable. I had a fillet steak last night, fried in lamb fat (done rare) and I had that with a large plate of salad (mixed lettuce leaves, 3 cherry tomatoes and cucumber) and a big dollop of cheese coleslaw (not low fat but a creamy one). I am on a low budget but it was in the "reduced for quick sale" section and it took 4 mins to cook.... Can't get much faster food than that! The fat and protein are slower to digest so they keep you feeling full for longer but they don't spike your Blood Glucose levels and therefore don't put you to sleep.... on the other hand, the shot of rum (no carbs in spirits) I had with my bedtime hot chocolate may have helped me to sleep! ;)
Hi again.

Brilliant advice love the sound of your meal and I would never have thought about putting cream in my morning coffee cos every one says that’s bad !! I’ll definitely be having a coffee with that

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Brilliant advice love the sound of your meal and I would never have thought about putting cream in my morning coffee cos every one says that’s bad !! I’ll definitely be having a coffee with that
Be careful with increasing your fat intake. It is a brilliant way to improve your blood levels but taking in lots of fat will only improve your health if you are also vastly decreasing your carbs at the same time. If you increase your fats a lot without reducing your carbs hugely - all you will do is increase the fat swooshing around in your system and that can have bad results. If you reset your system to metabolise fats for energy instead of carbs by making fats your main fuel then you should find your blood sugars stabilise and your liver function and blood pressure starts improving too.
If you are still relying on carbs for your main fuel (by eating 'normal' bread and potatoes and starchy foods like wholemeal rice and pasta and lots of fruit and fruit juices) then eating more fat might be problematic.

These days I eat loads of double cream, high fat cheese (cheddar and others are zero carbs) butter, eggs, fatty cuts of meat, bacon, cakes (made with keto friendly sweeteners and keto friendly 'flours' like coconut and almond flour and fibres like psyllium husk and chia seeds and eggs) and keto recipe bread and very very sparingly I eat blackberries (3 or 4 at a time) raspberries and strawberries (I think of them as garnishes and as nature's candies) and very sparingly 100% cocoa chocolate and I drink decaff black tea and coffee and water. For veg I eat green string beans, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cucumber, small amounts of sweet peppers, cauliflower, celeriac, small amounts of onions and I use herbs and spices in my cooking.

I don't go near, potatoes, rice of any sort, canned beans, ready meals etc.
I hope this is helpful information.

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That information has saved me a lot of searching thank you I’ve just jotted down all your info, especially the one about the rum! being an ex Navy man it’s one of life’s little pleasures looks like my shopping basket will be taking on a whole different look from now on thanks for taking the time to get the advice to me

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Rebrascora hope you are well, I’ve been given the Spirit Tee 2 by one of my sons for Christmas, we gave it a try yesterday and my reading was bang on it was 8.2 before dinner and 9.1 after dinner which I thought was pretty good come today I was9.1 before dinner and I’m just waiting for 8.30 pm to take my after dinner reading I really can’t work out why the reading yesterday was so good and yet today it’s quite a bit higher have you any thoughts on it ? any advice would be welcome.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, what has your BG been the rest of the day? Cos it's everything you do or don't do, as well as eat or not eat generally, that affects your BG result. They don't occur in isolation!

No two days are ever precisely the same, so neither will anyone's BG. If the difference was between 5.0 and 25.0 then I'd say wash your hands and test again - but we always have to take into consideration that meters can be 15% either way out - so a result of 9.1 could be as high as 10.5 or as low as 7.8 - soooo, those 2 readings are near enough not be in the slightest worrying.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Good to hear you got a meter and have started testing. What you need to be aware of is that firstly the meters are not really accurate to a decimal place... non of them are. There is an allowed error factor of 15% so the meter is just there to give you a guide not a really definitive reading. You are looking to avoid large differences between before and 2 hrs after readings rather than what the actual readings are, particularly in these early days when you are just starting to take control of your levels.
Secondly, BG levels vary quite dramatically throughout the day and night even for non diabetic people. There are up to 42 different factors which can influence your BG levels, some of which you have control over, others you haven't. The most influential factor is what you eat, but exercise (even exercise you did yesterday or the day before can impact your current levels), stress, medication, how well you slept, hormones, ambient temperature, length of daylight, illness or injury...
So whilst 8.2 and 9.1 are both higher than your would eventually like, you are really just looking to see if the 2 hours after reading is less than 3 whole mmols higher. Yesterday's meal looks like it worked out great for you because the increase was only 0.9 which is brilliant.... what did you have out of interest?

Sutherland53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Rebrascora, thanks for the response, I had a roasted chicken leg, white steamed cabbage and 2 leeks, half container of Aldi carrot and swede mash and sneaked a chocolate mini roll in as a cheeky treat it’s yesterday’s numbers which are as different again! pre dinner 11.4 post dinner 8.9 after taking Sukkarto with the meal so I don’t know what went wrong itthere except I was busy the other day so I didn’t eat much at all except for 2slices of toast with butter, brown bread before my dinner yesterday was 2 poached eggs for breakfast, 2egg mayonnaise sandwich’s on brown bread at lunch and then a home made chicken Korma with cauliflower rice and a small plain Nan, I never realised that the meter reading could swing about as much and is really a guide, we’ll wait and see what today brings !! stay safe

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Metformin doesn't really have a direct impact on your readings like that. It takes time to build up in your system and has a slow long term effect over days and weeks rather than an hour or two after taking a tablet.

except I was busy the other day so I didn’t eat much at all except for 2slices of toast with butter, brown bread before my dinner
Are you saying you had 2 slices of brown bread toast before your dinner yesterday? If so, how long before. If it was within 2-4 hours, then your pre and post meal readings were a waste of time because the carbs from the toast will totally compromise the test... which is why your pre meal reading was so high at 11.4.
If you are hungry whilst you are waiting for a meal to be ready, try a boiled egg (always worth keeping a few boiled eggs in the fridge as snacks to fill you up when you get the munchies with a spoon of mayonnaise or have a chunk of cheese which are pretty much carb free rather than a carb rich food like bread.
Apologies if I have misunderstood and the 2 slices of toast were at lunchtime and there was no bread or toast eaten before dinner.

It does look like you are eating rather a lot of bread still. It really doesn't make that much difference to your diabetes whether it is brown, white or skyblue pink, the carbs in it turn to glucose in your digestive system. Wholemeal is healthier for your digestive tract because it contains more fibre, but bread is a high carb food which will raise your BG levels and therefore adversely affect your diabetes.
Not saying not to eat bread at all, but limiting your intake is important.... Maybe just one or two pieces of bread per day and look out for lower carb options like Livlife. Maybe ration yourself to just 2 pieces of bread a day like one slice of wholemeal and a pitta or naan, or two slices of wholemeal and no pitta or naan, but not at the same meal and see how your body copes with that.
You mention two poached eggs at breakfast. Did you have toast or bread with those too... or just the eggs? Maybe have on a bed of spinach instead of toast or have an omelette with a salad with coleslaw... I find I miss bread less if I don't have a runny yolk that needs soaking up, so an omelette works well.
Are you testing pre and post meal for your breakfast and lunch to see the effects of the bread in your sandwich?

As regards your BG levels varying. Non-diabetic people also have a constantly changing Blood Glucose profile and someone recently posted the graph of a non-diabetic fit active marathon runner which was plotted using data from a sensor which measures glucose levels every few minutes over the full 24 hour period and the results show how much of a constant battle is going on in the body to keep levels within quite a broad range.

I will see if I can find it and post it....