HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

It might sound odd but we live near to a cemetery and during lock down we were walking everyday around there and it was amazing what we noticed in the inscriptions on gravestones as well as the plants and trees. It prompted me to look up some of the notable people buried there which was very interesting as well as the history of the cemetery itself.

Busy weekend.

Park run on Saturday with my wife, at a leisurely pace.

On Sunday 42 miles on the bike, which was dry, after being rained on two weekends in a row. Getting back to the speeds I was managing at the beginning of summer last year.

And yesterday evening middle daughter fancied a run. She set off at a very fast pace, which I couldn't keep up with, but she couldn't sustain the effort, as her asthma is giving her a bit of trouble. We finished 5km in about 30 minutes, but I reckon if she had paced herself better she could have done under 24 minutes.

My legs are now complaining.

@Carlos Wow 42 miles that's impressive!

I know how you feel being rained on... thought it'd be a good idea for a run yesterday, was bucketing down! Looking forward to the sun coming back that's for sure..

@Carlos Wow 42 miles that's impressive!

I know how you feel being rained on... thought it'd be a good idea for a run yesterday, was bucketing down! Looking forward to the sun coming back that's for sure..
This year has been a bit meh with the weather. I don't mind the rain so much, if it wasn't for the wind, or when I wasn't expecting it and I'm wearing the wrong clothes.

I agree with you that more frequent is better, but two days of the week I am fasting, so exercise on those days has to be gentle walks (I usually get at least 30 -40 mins those days walking as I walk to work and walk outside when I get breaks) I would get so tired if tried to sprint. Out of curiosity, it seems your doing a lot of exercise, what is your BMI and weight?

Have you tried sprinting on fasting days?
I often did strenuous work for an entire day after an early start, and ate in the evening, so around a 24 hour enforced fast with no problems.
(Probably what helped cause the diabetes, as I overate in the evening)
When I did the 800 calorie Newcastle diet I didn't stop exercise.
I found not exercising burnt protein rather than fat, so it helped lose weight while keeping muscle tone.

Bit of a suggestion, as wearing shoes really gets uncomfortable and painful. Walking in Crocs is brilliant, for me anyway. Keeps my feet cool, and the bumps on the inner sole, stop the feet from hurting, except on a rare bad day.

I'm back in open toed sandals (April to November normally), I find them more comfortable than crocs, apart from the odd stone.
Great for the exercise classes as well as walking, and still qualify as driving shoes.

I started wearing a FitBit this year and at the same time I've increased my daily walking to 16K+ steps.

Based on the data from the FitBit and some standard equations, I average about 11 MET-hours per day of committed exercise walking: 2+ hours at a bit under 5.5 METs.

So a bit less than 80 MET-hours per week. That makes me "very active", versus the standard exercise recs which correspond to something like 7.5 to 15 MET-hours per week.

I reckon this is pretty damn good, given that I have PAD with a left fermoral artery completely blocked from thigh to knee. I'm pretty much addicted to walking now, though I wish I could run. At my current max pace, running would probably be more efficient, but my gammy leg really has no idea how to do it these days.

Last edited:
Thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread as to how much exercise we each do on a daily/weekly basis. I for one have resumed exercising on my exercise bike twice a day to help me stay as fit as I can atm & also to maintain a good bgls. My old back prevents me from walking too far for any length of time but I'm hoping to resume swimming soon, used to swim 1mile x 4times per wk (No back pain when swimming) Didn't learn to swim till I was 63! My right knee doesn't currently condone exercise so i start off slowly on my exercise bike then build up, a replacement knee could be on the cards! I also do stretching & floor exercises.

Type2 since April 2016
Diet & exercise only
Originally diagnosed with Type 2 in October 2017. I attended a course locally about living with diabetes and met others in in a similar situation to myself. Wasn't wanting to take Meds so made a big effort to lose weight between February to May 2018. I went from near 20 stone to 16 stones in that time. I used exercise as I walk in my job as an enforcement officer and cover between 40 to 50 miles per week. I also own two rescue dogs. Fast forward to my current situation. I have had a number of falls, one where I ended up in hospital as I collapsed at home after a long hot shift in Saltburn. The Doctors couldn't find anything medically wrong with me and I was referred to a hospital in Northallerton and the diagnosis was I suffer from hypotension (low blood pressure). I have to drink copious amounts of water everyday. However the falls have continued not as frequently but I have permanently damaged the inside of my right knee (A medial collateral knee ligament injury to the inside of my right knee leading to a meniscus tear) and cannot bend it when I walk now. I still have to walk at least 40 miles a week but the knee is much weaker. I have lost my confidence due to the issue of the leg giving way at random points when I am on duty. I have spent money on physio, had two cortisone injections but the doctor told me at some point I will either need keyhole surgery or a knee replacement. I have yearly checks on my blood and have remained borderline or slightly under.

Thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread as to how much exercise we each do on a daily/weekly basis. I for one have resumed exercising on my exercise bike twice a day to help me stay as fit as I can atm & also to maintain a good bgls. My old back prevents me from walking too far for any length of time but I'm hoping to resume swimming soon, used to swim 1mile x 4times per wk (No back pain when swimming) Didn't learn to swim till I was 63! My right knee doesn't currently condone exercise so i start off slowly on my exercise bike then build up, a replacement knee could be on the cards! I also do stretching & floor exercises.

Type2 since April 2016
Diet & exercise only
i do Nintendo Ringfit 30mins for 6 days rest 1 day,i'm 77 yrs old

I was diagnosed at 8 years of age in 1962. I am now 70 so have been type 1 for 62 years. As a child the paediatrician recommended lots of exercise so Mum sent me to ballet lessons and I loved dancing. At 15 i auditioned for a place on a full time dance course in London, was accepted and began a few months later. Doing 90 minute dance classes all day, every day resulted in hypos and gradual insulin dose reductions were worse than useless so I eventually simply halved the amounts of the 2 types of insulin that I took and this worked well. After 3 years of training I danced professionally including 3 years in The Italian Operetta Company. After I married I became desk bound in an office so my insulin requirements rose once more, which was hardly surprising, in spite of long walks to and from work and evenings and weekends spent pulling walls down on our house and all the additional work required to get our it the way we wanted. After I had 2 children I took a degree, did a years post graduate teacher training course then worked as a teacher until I retired. Now it's wonderful to have more time for myself so I am doing 2 ballet and one contemporary class every week plus frequent national dance classes which I thoroughly enjoy. I am so glad my Mum took the advice of the paediatrician as I am sure it's kept me healthy as a person of advanced years with type 1 diabetes -- could be wrong of course -- LOL.

Great to read how you have managed and of the adjustments that you. Much of your time without the tech that we have now. Have you changed your management ? Pump? sensor?
Like you as a retired teacher I am making the most of my ‘spare time’ but not quite as energetically as you.

One of the confounding things when diagnosed a couple of months ago was that I am fairly active with a good diet and reasonably healthy lifestyle. I'm at the gym three times a week Tue-Thu-Sat, usually for an hour on weekdays and then longer on Saturdays as my son likes to come along and we always end up doing more.

I've been working the 5x5 training programme, which is great for someone my age as it doesn't focus on lots of reps which can cause injury to joints - it's a strength programme (which luckily is really good for Type 2 :D). Essentially 5 compound exercises (bench press, deadlift, overhead press, squats and bent over rows) for 5 sets of 5 reps (apart from deadlift which you only do 1 set of 5 reps), but not all exercises on the same days - you alternate between workout 'A' and workout 'B', and aim to increase the weight by 2.5kg each time - or 'progressive overload' as they call it.

My workout currently:
Tue (A): Squat 100kg x 5x5 / Overhead press 42.5kg x 5x5 / Deadlift 140kg x 1x5
Thu (B): Squat 102.5kg x 5x5 / Bench press 70kg x 5x5 / Bent over row 75kg x 5x5
Sat (A): Squat 105kg x 5x5 / Overhead press 45kg 5x5 / Deadlift 145kg x 1x5

I add a few secondary exercises to work specific muscle groups/body parts, but stick to the same core routine above.

Sounds complicated when written down but if you Google it, there are plenty of videos that explain it better than I can! :rofl:

I also walk every day - either walking the dog at lunch or on office days, a walk round campus where I work. Currently trying to squeeze in 11,111 steps every day to complete the 1,000,000 steps challenge for Diabetes UK - equates to about 4.5 miles each day.

When opportunity arises I also like to get out on my mountain bike and either a family amble around Milton Keynes or a little play in the woods on the trails.

Hi All, I’m trying to get back to managing my type 2 diabetes in a better more productive way following years of letting stress and anxiety dictate how badly managed my diabetes was.
I’ve battled for years with high blood glucose levels.

I have to say “GOLLY! You Lot! I am in awe of you all. Well Done!
I am kicking my pet slug into touch! Started two days ago as up until then My life was pretty much sedentary. I’m starting off small by setting myself little targets. 1st target was to walk up and down our stairs 10x on the trot. I did 20 trips.
I suffer the dreaded Dawn Phenomomen! I’m trying to find ways to get my BGLs lower as it’s nearly always just above 10mmol when I wake. I’ve tried eating 2x Rich Tea Biscuits at 3am. Can’t do it! It was like eating cardboard! Then I tried eating a protein laden Breakfast cup, Not easy at around 3am. (BTW. Most nights I wake around 3am. Was told it was the time when my body started to decrease my insulin as my BGL were going up. Because I had not eaten in 6 hours or more.)
Yesterday, someone on this forum suggested to exercise just before going to bed as exercise eats up glucose in the blood. So I walked up and down our stairs 10x more, on the trot 15 minutes before going to bed. I’m amazed! Woke up this morning and my BGLs was 7.9!!!

So today I’ve done 3 hours house work, (wiping down all window sills and walls that had marks on. I cleaned our bathrooms including moping the floors. Have done 13x on the trot stair trips and have just done a 30minute Cardio Walking Work out from YouTube. I will do a further 10x stair trips before going to bed tonight. I am feeling good and motivated to do more. Thank You all for being so motivational.

Hi All, I’m trying to get back to managing my type 2 diabetes in a better more productive way following years of letting stress and anxiety dictate how badly managed my diabetes was.
I’ve battled for years with high blood glucose levels.
Me too. The only difference is that I belong to Type1 group. It has been an uphill struggle for sure.
I have to say “GOLLY! You Lot! I am in awe of you all. Well Done!
So am I. I do not think that I have done all this exercise in my entire life, not to mention daily. I have never been a sporty type and I don't think I will ever be. I know my life now depends on how I manage my Diabetes.
I am kicking my pet slug into touch! Started two days ago as up until then My life was pretty much sedentary. I’m starting off small by setting myself little targets. 1st target was to walk up and down our stairs 10x on the trot. I did 20 trips.
I feel as if i am going to pass out.
I suffer the dreaded Dawn Phenomomen! I’m trying to find ways to get my BGLs lower as it’s nearly always just above 10mmol when I wake. I’ve tried eating 2x Rich Tea Biscuits at 3am. Can’t do it! It was like eating cardboard! Then I tried eating a protein laden Breakfast cup, Not easy at around 3am.
Why do you feel the need to eat at 3:00am? Especially when you are waking up to high readings. All I know is that food makes the BGs go up. If I do not eat, they won't go up. Someone pls explain it to me. Thanks.
BTW. Most nights I wake around 3am. Was told it was the time when my body started to decrease my insulin as my BGL were going up. Because I had not eaten in 6 hours or more.)
I wake up around 3:00am every night but for a completely different reason. The thought of food could not be farther away.
Yesterday, someone on this forum suggested to exercise just before going to bed as exercise eats up glucose in the blood. So I walked up and down our stairs 10x more, on the trot 15 minutes before going to bed. I’m amazed! Woke up this morning and my BGLs was 7.9!!!
Just reading about it is making me feel tired.
So today I’ve done 3 hours house work, (wiping down all window sills and walls that had marks on. I cleaned our bathrooms including moping the floors. Have done 13x on the trot stair trips and have just done a 30minute Cardio Walking Work out from YouTube. I will do a further 10x stair trips before going to bed tonight. I am feeling good and motivated to do more. Thank You all for being so motivational.
I live in hope ...

I cycle nearly every day 30/40 miles per day
I was road racing 10 yrs ago (2nd in the national veterans 55-60 age group) a typical RR is 25mph avg for 2 1/2 hrs that was 10 yrs ago though
I still ride hard 20 mph avg for 30 miles that’s possible for anyone that sets there mind to do it
Can’t get my glucose below 4.5 at 13.00hrs after fasting all night and smashing it for 40miles on bike in morning.

I tore my meniscus at the same time I was diagnoised with diabetes. I was given a series of exercises for my meniscus and have been doing them daily. I have a static bike, I do lunges, squats and work with a resistance band. I do about 40 minutes am and pm I walk most places and avoid lifts if I am on a decent level floor. All this helps strengthen my meniscus, not quite sure if it helps keep my diabetes at a manageable level along with the low carb diet.

I cycle nearly every day 30/40 miles per day
I was road racing 10 yrs ago (2nd in the national veterans 55-60 age group) a typical RR is 25mph avg for 2 1/2 hrs that was 10 yrs ago though
I still ride hard 20 mph avg for 30 miles that’s possible for anyone that sets there mind to do it
Can’t get my glucose below 4.5 at 13.00hrs after fasting all night and smashing it for 40miles on bike in morning.
Why would you want to get below 4.5.
Some people find fasting or exercise actually increases blood glucose as the liver starts to release glucose in the absence of food.

Back