HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

I’ve now gotten back into the habit of going to the gym regularly. I’m there three times a week (or four) to do resistance work. I’m often there twice to do cardio.

I used to do 5x5 and found that worked well but I’ve had such a long time out that I’m now doing a classic three day split with more lower body work thrown in on top. That’s because it’s part of the rehab for my bust Achilles. (Not that I have an Achilles in my bust (or male equivalent) but rather that my Achilles was bust!)

I do some cardio after each resistance session but mainly save full on cardio for so called rest days when I’ll do perhaps 45 minutes or an hour on the treadmill either doing intervals or a sustained low speed hill (15% incline at no more than 5 whatever the speed is).

For cardio I generally use Apple Fitness + programs and vary the speed/incline to suit my goals. The 60 minute sessions are two stacked 30 minute programs.

I log EVERYTHING in the gym.

I follow up the pure cardio sessions with meditation (again using the Apple Fitness + programs) for 20 or 30 minutes.

Today I was there for roughly 90 minutes in total and that’s pretty typical.

It’s been a month of going 3 or 4 times a week and although weight loss has occurred it has been minimal. What’s noticeable however is that once wobbly bits now don’t wobble anywhere near as much and there’s been a seismic improvement in base fitness.

It also really helps my mental health.

My exercise level dropped completely after my hysterectomy in October. I have started to feel more myself in the past few months and have started picking up my exercise levels again. I've been managing between 20 and 60 minutes a day. Nothing very scientific, just a mix of exercise bike, Beat Saber, free weights and general PT sort of stuff in no particular order or aim. Just having fun and keeping moving as the fancy takes me. I am also doing more physical activity generally as I am clearing my mum's house in readiness to put it on the market to fund her residential care. I counted using my hand cranked manual washing machines to do laundry today as my 30 minutes exercise. I like it when I can feel my exercise achieves a task other than just fun or fitness - it saved some electricity and didn't make the house hot as I did it outside.

I do breathing exercises too. I agree with you @ColinUK it definitely helps my mental health. I am finding these days that physical exercise is reducing my blood sugars as expected. Back when I started exercising it used to raise it instead. I think removing my ovaries and the inflamed reproductive system has brought my cortisol levels down to a sensible level and my body is starting to reset to a better functional baseline.

Unfortunately all the weight I lost prior to surgery has returned although my shape has not got any larger - my husband says he thinks I have improved muscle mass and I am trying to believe that is the case.

Weight training at the gym 4-5 nights a week, don’t do any cardio other than walking the dog as job is very physical installing driveways and patios for a living but if weather is nice and it’s a day off work will take him on my favourite walk which is 7 miles

I’ve now gotten back into the habit of going to the gym regularly. I’m there three times a week (or four) to do resistance work. I’m often there twice to do cardio.

I used to do 5x5 and found that worked well but I’ve had such a long time out that I’m now doing a classic three day split with more lower body work thrown in on top. That’s because it’s part of the rehab for my bust Achilles. (Not that I have an Achilles in my bust (or male equivalent) but rather that my Achilles was bust!)

I do some cardio after each resistance session but mainly save full on cardio for so called rest days when I’ll do perhaps 45 minutes or an hour on the treadmill either doing intervals or a sustained low speed hill (15% incline at no more than 5 whatever the speed is).

For cardio I generally use Apple Fitness + programs and vary the speed/incline to suit my goals. The 60 minute sessions are two stacked 30 minute programs.

I log EVERYTHING in the gym.

I follow up the pure cardio sessions with meditation (again using the Apple Fitness + programs) for 20 or 30 minutes.

Today I was there for roughly 90 minutes in total and that’s pretty typical.

It’s been a month of going 3 or 4 times a week and although weight loss has occurred it has been minimal. What’s noticeable however is that once wobbly bits now don’t wobble anywhere near as much and there’s been a seismic improvement in base fitness.

It also really helps my mental health.
In 2019 - pre Covid - I was HbA1c 43 Prediabetic . Always fit & healthy, now 65 . Never got Covid. Took up running again - 20miles pw .
2023 began to lose energy when running, barely managing 2miles before had to stop . Doc prescribed Folate & Iron to improve Oxygen supply to muscles. Not much change since, but my HbA1c has increased to 43 . Anyone experiencing or aware of a link between HbA1c and poor running performance ?

In 2019 - pre Covid - I was HbA1c 43 Prediabetic . Always fit & healthy, now 65 . Never got Covid. Took up running again - 20miles pw .
2023 began to lose energy when running, barely managing 2miles before had to stop . Doc prescribed Folate & Iron to improve Oxygen supply to muscles. Not much change since, but my HbA1c has increased to 43 . Anyone experiencing or aware of a link between HbA1c and poor running performance ?
Just triggering my hobby horse ... have you been checked for peripheral artery disease? Very underdiagnosed, but onset of walking/running difficulties can be an early sign (it was for me, looking back).

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/peripheral-arterial-disease-pad/

An HbA1c in the 40's wouldn't be a big risk factor, but high BP and/or high LDL cholesterol might be.

Weight training at the gym 4-5 nights a week, don’t do any cardio other than walking the dog as job is very physical installing driveways and patios for a living but if weather is nice and it’s a day off work will take him on my favourite walk which is 7 miles
Walking the dog is far more important than gym work. Bar the modest go on the exercise bike all my exercise is normal activity. Live on my own. I’ve realised housework is superb exercise. Up and down the stairs. Stretching. Lifting. Even having a shower, washing up and my favourite gardening.
It’s really useful to think about your movement when carrying out a normal activity you might be surprised.
I’m clearing out the shed at the moment I’d put good money on that being far more effective than going to the gym.
It’s cardio, weight bearing, stretching, lifting,walking.

Inevitably age will affect running ability. Controversial but I work with a Nuero Physio, had a stroke a few years ago. He has quite a few mantras but one of them is if you are doing an activity and you start struggling, stop. He’s very much opposed to the “ pushing yourself to the limit “ theme.
That goes for anyone. I’ve come a long way . Thankfully ignored the advice of the NHS . Just for the sake of argument I can walk now a big part of it is walking properly. I will go for a walk , I’m very conscious of balance, foot placement but as soon as I start struggling I will stop, might even have a day off but next time I will try and walk a little further. It’s very incremental. The stroke is almost irrelevant it’s just about keeping fit. I don’t even set any major targets anymore.
I’m 65 and I’m a darn sight fitter and slimmer than most of my contemporaries in this area. The one thing I can’t do is jogging. Never enjoyed it pre stroke far too metronomic too much damage to joints, even heart valves.

30-45 minutes morning walk in the public park

I just do what I can. I have breathing issues and so cannot walk distance, in very hot, cold, wet or windy weather. But I do try and short walk 3 times a week, garden weather permitting, get caught up on the exercise reels on FB and do those :D I used to do qigong daily but got out of the habit something I need to bring back in. I also occasionally do exercise on you tube video. I have some weights at home and sometimes remember to do that as well as wall press ups and I like the dance videos too :D I used to do gym regularly in my 60s but now in my early 70s I do what I can or feel the inclination to do. Sometimes its just crochet :D I manage between 2-6000 steps on a daily record, but I am not so sure my 3D fit bud is very accurate.

You are all doing great 🙂

I am a member of a running club and run on average 4 times a week and race distances from 5k to ultra marathons.I have just booked Shropshire way marathon for next year.

I am a member of a running club and run on average 4 times a week and race distances from 5k to ultra marathons.I have just booked Shropshire way marathon for next year.
I’d never call myself a runner but I used to do 5k’s regularly and have done a half. Bust my Achilles and it’s taken years to recover.
Now I run on the treadmill or elliptical rather than outdoors but this week I did my first 5k on the elliptical! It wasn’t fast but I was still chuffed I was able to do it!

What’s your fav Ultra?

Back