HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

Wirrallass

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread as to how much exercise we each do on a daily/weekly basis. I for one have resumed exercising on my exercise bike twice a day to help me stay as fit as I can atm & also to maintain a good bgls. My old back prevents me from walking too far for any length of time but I'm hoping to resume swimming soon, used to swim 1mile x 4times per wk (No back pain when swimming) Didn't learn to swim till I was 63! My right knee doesn't currently condone exercise so i start off slowly on my exercise bike then build up, a replacement knee could be on the cards! I also do stretching & floor exercises.

Type2 since April 2016
Diet & exercise only

Last edited:
I'm trying to do yoga everyday and then other forms of exercise 3x per week (run, pt, bounce, kettle bell workout etc)

Walk everyday. Monday to Friday aim for a minimum of 15000 steps. At the weekend I try and do more. If the weather is dry I try a do a walk of between 10 and 15 miles on Sundays.

Not enough!! I'm fairly active at work during the day and i wil walk to the shops instead of driving now. I've bought an exercise bike which i've started using on an evening and weekends. Its quite hard to motivate myself after a days work & then an evening meal to start on the bike though. As lighter nights approach i will go out for a walk more but i have dodgy knees so its a matter of balancing the exercise needed against the pain & swelling from my knees afterwards. I'd love to swim more but the local council are busy closing public baths at the minute, Thanks for that!

500kcal at the gym most days, in the form of a 5km+ run, or else combination of treadmill walking uphill, running, bike, steps and cross-trainer. If I've got more time at the weekend and/or fancy a carby breakfast such as French bread and jam, I'll sometimes go for 1000kcal. My new year resolution is to do at least 26 park runs this year, ie. 1 in 2, so far managed 2 out of 3.

Also, disco dancing, much more fun than the gym and you can do it for hours without getting bored and you use a lot of different muscles.

Currently don't do as much as I used to as still unsure with the whole what kind of exercise to reduce my insulin for but I do love walking could walk for miles and also used to love going out on long bike rides until once when me and the OH got lost and I had to phone my mum so we could get back - we ended up out in the country where she was brought up as a child thank god haha x

Week days I walk to work so over 10,000 steps, plus we have a dog, I walk her ever other night so even more steps.

Sometimes I run with the dog.

Most weeks I do 2- 3 days, 15 minutes of some sort of cardio too.

I need to get back to running 3 times a week as that was really good, need this cold to do one!

Not enough - most weeks it's 2-3 times of various stuff. Although I'm retired I still find myself going to different meetings, I'm on rotas and duties (I'm a churchwarden, I run a semi-regular film club and I'm a volunteer theatre usher), and some weeks I find it hard to fit in exercise as well :(, but my BG is behaving itself at the moment, so I'm not complaining 🙂

Ack! You've all shamed me into doing a quick one of Gay's Gaspers 😱 ....better a quick one than none at all 😉

I often think I don't do enough, but I do quite a bit at work. And pushing wheelchairs is quite a workout. Especially hospital ones, as the're wheels usually go in opposite directions! Might get a tracker from Aldi. They are like Fit Bits but a fraction of the price (£24.99). The wife has one & it's great.

I'm a fairly active person, by nature, and I have a few golden rules I follow, like parking at the far end of the supermarket carpark (fewer paint dings is an added bonus), walking all the isles, when when I don't need anything in them, and aside from overnight, I use the loo upstairs, if I'm downstairs (and vice versa). So I'm active but also what I call sedentary active.

On Wednesday our local DUK group meeting had a speaker from the NIHR, talking about exercise, relating it to both diabetes and general health. He was excellent, and made his talk interactive. I don't mean we were doing star jumps or running on the spot, but making contributions and comment along the way.

Aside from "the more you can move around and exercise the better" generalisations, he shared a couple of absolute humdingers. The shocker for me was that studies have shown folks significantly overestimate their activity levels, but again, studies show the average person is sedentary 80% of the day. A day being a 24 hour cycle.

The second, and most amazing thing was they ran a small study (most likely a feasibilty to something bigger) into the impacts of just standing up. This is the act of standing, not the act of loitering around. Their study had participants into their lab for 2, 8-hour periods. During the first, the participants were fed a couple of set meals, and their body data (pulse etc) monitored by FitBit stylee kit, plus regular bloods (via a canula fitted at the outset).

The process was then repeated (participants, food intake, content, timing and measuring) exactly, except that participants were asked to stand up and stay standing for a 5 minute period, every 30 minutes. The improvement in their blood glucose scores was positively significant. He quoted a figure, but when I interrogated him (as I would,......... ahem), he did admit he'd have to revisit that detail.

So in effect, limiting the duration of our sitting to shorter periods of time is helpful, even if we can't do anything else.

There's about to be a feasibilty study run to look at the impact of exercise (no dietary interventions) on pre-diabetic individuals. Those measurements will be done by FitBit gizmos and participants wearing Libre sensors.

There is some fascinating work being done on diabetes at the moment, and that's only a tiny, tiny granule of it. The NIHR site details all the various studies and trials they are running, and they're always looking for trialists.

Currently don't do as much as I used to as still unsure with the whole what kind of exercise to reduce my insulin for but I do love walking could walk for miles and also used to love going out on long bike rides until once when me and the OH got lost and I had to phone my mum so we could get back - we ended up out in the country where she was brought up as a child thank god haha x
Why don't you start slowly.

Why don't you start slowly.
I am im not too bad with walking sometimes but I walk much quicker now with having more energy so have to watch haha and as for the bike rides my OH works most of the time and my mates ain't into that kinda thing x

I am im not too bad with walking sometimes but I walk much quicker now with having more energy so have to watch haha and as for the bike rides my OH works most of the time and my mates ain't into that kinda thing x
Good.

I normally walk anything between 5 to 8 miles at work.The job can also involve heavy lifting so sometimes the last thing I want to do is excercise.however I still try and do a minimum of 3 workouts on a cross trainer pushing myself quite hard.

I cycle to work and back Monday to Friday (4 miles each way) and go for a 20 minute walk at lunchtime. If I am forced by inclement weather to take the bus, I get off a couple of stops before the end of the journey, and with a mile-ish walk at lunchtime, walk about 4 miles in total. I also use a Slendertone belt and do about 300 arm exercise 5 times a week. I find that exercising shortly after eating reduces the spike in my blood sugar.

I've bought the tracker from Aldi. Did over 90 steps just putting up a pair of curtains!🙂

Back