How do you stay motivated?

When I was small and the only child we moved in with my father's parents for my mother to look after his mother who was slowly dying due to the complications of type 2.
Over the next 5 years - things happened.
Things I will never forget.
Two more children were born, so my mother was unable to manage the household and her mother in law, my father and grandfather were not exactly the sharpest minds - they got things very wrong.

Old Nick will be skating to work the day I abandon low carb.

When I was small and the only child we moved in with my father's parents for my mother to look after his mother who was slowly dying due to the complications of type 2.
Over the next 5 years - things happened.
Things I will never forget.
Two more children were born, so my mother was unable to manage the household and her mother in law, my father and grandfather were not exactly the sharpest minds - they got things very wrong.

Old Nick will be skating to work the day I abandon low carb.
Totally agree @Drummer

All very new to me, but based on things I have enjoyed in the past which it turns out are healthy habits for "remission journey" are unsweetened tea drinking, and relearning to cook healthy meals using wholefoods where I can control sugar/salt/fat/carbs/calories after plentiful neglect before/during/after the lockdown and pandemic, and swapping out for treats, so dried/tinned/frozen fruit instead of anything containing "free refined sugars" and it's steep learning curve as it appears human body doesn't differentiate between white sugar and agave or maple syrup or honey, it's all glucose, so learning I can't go to health stores and stock up on ethical natural healthy organic blah labelled snack bars!
I guess long-term having fixed achievable goals motivates me and I'm trying hard to do everything I can to lower my blood sugar levels before repeat blood tests in month, then six month goal is losing weight sustainably to feel healthier and reduce strain on my struggling organs as another part of my remission, fingers crossed my damaged body can restore itself and complies with all scientific research! More Tea Vicar ha!
One of the problems is that all the 'healthy' foods that are fine if not Type 2 diabetic can be problem foods if you are, so the 'healthy' snack bars, dried fruits, whole grains are still too high carb.

Yes it's very early days for me as waiting for repeat blood tests in month and follow up with my GP, as the first blood test I had in September this year showed blood sugar levels of 95, with Nurse telling me the average is 48, and her suggestion was swapping fruit juice for fresh fruit and dried fruit as snacks during rushed stressful five minute consultation, but I am slowly learning that Type 2 Diabetes remission is much more complex than that, especially as I became overweight as result of the lockdown and my blood tests indicate I have fatty liver also, and waiting for access to NHS weight management clinic and diabetes clinic if my tests show I require medication.

Do people on remission journey cutout all carbs, or use gram flour or nut flours as alternatives? I am also lifelong Vegetarian, so currently it feels I'm like limiting my already limited diet, but happy to try anything to lower my blood sugar levels and lose weight healthily, so not going to Turkey for cheap gastric band surgery holiday just yet!

My gallows humour, no judgment, but ignorant well-meaning people have said that to me as their solution like it's no big deal with no risks ha!
If your level is 95mmol/mol then it is likely that you will be prescribed medication as that is pretty high. The threshold for diagnosis is over 47mmol/mol so if people are at the lower end of the diabetic zone then some dietary changes are often sufficient.
It makes it that bit more difficult if vegetarian as the carb free foods like meat and fish are off the menu but it is still very possible to follow a low carb vegetarian regime. This link has a veggie meal plan which you may find useful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
It is a low carb regime but low carb is suggested as being less than 130g total carbs per day but it is not NO carbs. Making the carbs you do have worth it for enjoyment and taste rather than empty carbs like sugary foods, rice, pasta, potatoes, pastry, breakfast cereals etc.
Yes whole fruit is better than fruit juice but many fruits are high carb and dried fruit very high carb as they the sugar is concentrated.
When people have limited menu choices then it is a good idea to get a blood glucose monitor so you can check your tolerance to your meals by testing before you eat and after 2 hours when an increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l would indicate your meal was OK, more than that your meal would be too carb heavy.

Reactions: tjo
Do people on remission journey cut out all carbs
The short answer is no, but I did aim (and still do) to maintain a diet below 130g per day by staying away from sweet stuff like cakes and biscuits, by substituting riced cauliflower for rice, cauliflower or celeriac mash for potatoes, making chips with celeriac and eating more salads and green veggies. I also switched to red lentil pasta and cut my portion size to 40g. I'm not vegetarian so my diet contains meat - mostly chicken or beef mince, and occasionally lamb - and fish. I eat fruit but mostly berries and never anything exotic like banana or pineapple, and certainly nothing dried. Nuts also feature a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replies, that's very helpful and useful info I appreciate has come from lived experiences and I think the Nurse meant well by telling me fruit juice is pure sugar, but realistically my goal to live in remission with no medication seems to be keeping my BG levels around 30-40, if the threshold for Type 2 Diabetes is 47 - sorry I'm still reading up on the percentages for BG levels!

I can limit my carbs to 130g per day and generally avoid takeaway fried foods due to cross-contamination risks with meat, fish and animal products, and very poor animal welfare and environmental and social justice standards from the big franchises with bold primary colour logo's, not naming names as not advertising them! Lentil pasta sounds perfect, buckwheat noodles are also low carb as buckwheat is seed and not high carb grain ha!

I was also curious to know if people in remission use sweeteners like Stevia as sugar free carb free way to add sweetness to bland foods, as previously I would have made porridge with blackstrap molasses thinking this was "healthy" but it's just more glucose I don't need, or do you learn to live with blander food? Other alternatives to reduce sugar and glucose I have considered are herbs, spices, veg stock, vanilla, marmite, pepper, celery, instead of condiments and sauces full of refined sugars, having previously added things like brown sauce and mango chutney to food before I knew I was at risk of developing diabetes!
I tend to use plenty of herbs and spices and all the things you mention, as you start to reduce the amount of sweet things you have your tastes will change and many things will taste far too sweet. You can find low carb curry sauces but I use pastes or dry rubs. People often worry about the odd spoonful of ketchup or sauce whereas the problem is often with what they put it on.
If you like curry one of my favourite is butternut squash, cauliflower and chick pea and I either add boiled eggs or paneer.
There is no need for low carb meals to be bland.
I use black bean or edamame bean pasta as it is lower carb than even red lentil but I must look for the buckwheat noodles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never use sweeteners. I gave up sugar in my tea decades ago, and in my coffee once I got my T2 diagnosis. Once in a while I'll have something that I put barbeque sauce on, or brown sauce, but even then I measure my portions, but I've never liked tomato ketchup so it doesn't feature at all.

Haven't seen a buzzard locally for ages BUT now quite frequently see a sparrowhawk sitting on our fence. And saw him/her terrifying all the little birds in next door's shrubbery. Lot more red kites all over the place in the last 5 or so years. Wondering what's now resident at the end of our back garden, since any number of local cats gravitate towards there most days lately. In spring we well know they're after baby birds whose parents regularly nest in the leylandii; hey ho, can't stop their basic instincts and can't always be there to chase em off either.

I've recently started reading 'Atomic Habits' by James Clear. Has anyone else read this book? It's definitely inspiring me to make small changes, not just with regards to diabetes and my remission goal but generally in life. It's a motivating read for sure!

I've recently started reading 'Atomic Habits' by James Clear. Has anyone else read this book? It's definitely inspiring me to make small changes, not just with regards to diabetes and my remission goal but generally in life. It's a motivating read for sure!
Not heard of it before so will have a look on the web later.

Happy New Year everyone - I hope 2024 is a great one for you all and it's the year we're able to put our type 2 diabetes into remission (or stay there if you're already there!!). How is everyone getting on?

Despite my hba1c being < 42, I have no desire to be classed as "in remission" which is another reason I keep taking 1 metformin per day. Being in remission may mean coming off the diabetic register and therefore out of the system. I'd rather take advantage of regular checks and monitoring to make sure there are no nasty diabetic surprises down the road!
I found out today I am in remission and never had medication. Despite this I still have to get tested once a year and told not to bother using BG meter anymore. it’s more to do with the scales for me now and keeping off and still losing weight. They won’t lose me in the system I won’t let them and I can always talk to my drs if I’ve not had notification of my testing. I am happy to see there’s a remission support service in the forums also.

I found out today I am in remission and never had medication. Despite this I still have to get tested once a year and told not to bother using BG meter anymore. it’s more to do with the scales for me now and keeping off and still losing weight. They won’t lose me in the system I won’t let them and I can always talk to my drs if I’ve not had notification of my testing. I am happy to see there’s a remission support service in the forums also.
I’m still losing weight. I use slimmimingworld for weight loss. I need to keep at the eating plan and I’ve left many times before but it’s the weight loss that got me my remission. I’ve never had medication. I was told last year I was close but not quite so this year I’ve did it. I’ve lost 19 lbs so I realise that within that 19 lbs is diabetes! if that goes on again I will lose my remission. It’s onwards and upwards. Downwards I should say. Thank you

Have you been trying to make changes aiming to move towards remission of your diabetes (either by substantial weight loss via soup/shake or Newcastle style approach, or via a low carb menu)?

How have you been finding things?

What keeps you motivated?

Have you faced any particular struggles keeping on track? What keeps you on your path to success?

Do you have any hints or tips to share?

Have you already achieved remission (as defined by 2 consecutive HbA1c readings below 48mmol/mol with no medications)? How have you found it transitioning to a maintenance menu? Are you keeping your weight stable? How have you dealt with any fluctuations?

If going low carb, are you finding your menu sustainable? Are there situations or circumstances you find more challenging (eg holidays or celebrations), and how do you navigate those?

What inspires you to keep going with the approach you are using? Let us know below.
I tried on my own, I tried the twelve week carb programme and that worked but not good enough so they put me in Metformin and it was awful. They tried Jardiance ( Empaglioflozin) and even increased it but I got hungrier and felt I ached from head to toe.
They have stopped medication as I was better on diet alone but I am now not motivated.
I read above but to be honest it all about diet and depriving oneself .
I think well what is there but food. My arthritis never got good on any diet either. Yes, but I never got down to normal size.
So Getting back to buying clothes of the peg is going to be my first aim.
I am going on the shake soup and bar diet when they get around to it.
Do not know if I will or can achieve it
People put their blogs on you tube .
I think I’ll have a rollercoaster. Crying one minute the next maybe talking myself that its healthy happier me to be accomplished.
For I know if i can do it should be beneficial.
one meal at a time .
one day
one week
. Can i do the twelve week shake?
People say it helps to have a diet buddy but with no friends to do that with….
Well done to those that get there.
Anxious. Know food to me is like alcohol to an alcoholic.
It will be tough.

Last edited:
I have ordered this book and hope to let you know my thoughts sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back