How do you stay motivated?

I much prefer them raw anyway. And - sorry about this but it's true - much easier to eat when you have a denture .......

I love a ‘warm raw’ courgette too @Transistor

But they are also lovely in a tray of roasted veg along with peppers, cherry toms, onions, garlic, and even fennel, celery and aubergine if you want to go the whole hog!

Also sauteed courgette which has gone all caramelised and
toasty on the outside. YUM!

First time we went to Corfu way back when me and husband Mk1 were still newly wed really there really didn't seem to be much offered in the way of veg at all with meals other than basic cold salad veg - and we hired a motorbike there so we could see a bit of the island (couldn't afford to hire a car) so when we were on the plane coming home and just after they said they'd be serving lunch I said to him 'I wonder if we'll have a lovely serving of ratatouille with lunch for a nice change? At which point he, plus anyone else who happened to overhear all let out a loud groan, which caused us and all of them to fall about laughing.

Noooo - carrots! But since then, I've had difficulty facing either cooked courgettes or aubergines, let alone the mixture, wherever I've been in the world !

Most likely far, far better freshly cooked and served, and not in a soggy overstewed re-heated oily dollop of bleugh, I'm pretty sure !

I've slipped back into old habits over the past few weeks and I feel like s##t so back on low carb today. It will take a week or two for me to feel the real benefits but worth it.
I love to cook so trying g out new recipes and adapting old favourites is the best way to keep me on track, along with menu planning...
I've never been a lover of veg (I used to get my 5 a day mainly from fruit) so my mission at the moment is to go through my low carb recipe books trying out anything that looks like it will be tasty.. I'm even going to try a recipe with courgettes. Almost unheard of for me.
So relatable @Lilsis, how have you been getting on?

First time we went to Corfu way back when me and husband Mk1 were still newly wed really there really didn't seem to be much offered in the way of veg at all with meals other than basic cold salad veg - and we hired a motorbike there so we could see a bit of the island (couldn't afford to hire a car) so when we were on the plane coming home and just after they said they'd be serving lunch I said to him 'I wonder if we'll have a lovely serving of ratatouille with lunch for a nice change? At which point he, plus anyone else who happened to overhear all let out a loud groan, which caused us and all of them to fall about laughing.

Noooo - carrots! But since then, I've had difficulty facing either cooked courgettes or aubergines, let alone the mixture, wherever I've been in the world !

Most likely far, far better freshly cooked and served, and not in a soggy overstewed re-heated oily dollop of bleugh, I'm pretty sure !
My OH likes courgettes, aubergines, peppers, tomatoes but all together bletch!!! whereas I love it with grated cheese on the top.

I'm back on track..
I did my 30 mile walk last Sunday, now gearing up for my 100k on 9th September.. I managed the walk much better than I have in the past so as long as I keep that in my head, I know I will stay on track.

Well done @Lilsis - great stuff!

I'm back on track..
I did my 30 mile walk last Sunday, now gearing up for my 100k on 9th September.. I managed the walk much better than I have in the past so as long as I keep that in my head, I know I will stay on track.
That's so great to hear :D

I spiralize my courgettes and then just pour boiling water over them and eat as spaghetti replacement.
Or
Fry the spiralised veg in butter and garlic very briefly sprinkled with pepper snd Parmesan cheese
or
Spiralised veg make a great salad.

A bit of a fan of a spiraliser

How's everyone getting on? I'm struggling to stay focused on my weight loss goals. HELP! :(

This helps me stay motivated. When I stray it only lasts a day or a meal.
At other times when I am tempted by cake etc, I think;
Do I want to lose my sight.
Do I want to lose my toes.
Do I want heart disease.
Do I want to damage my kidneys.
All the above will happen if I don’t control my diabetes and stay motivated.
A bit harsh I know, but it works for me.

How's everyone getting on? I'm struggling to stay focused on my weight loss goals. HELP! :(
Don’t lose sight of the main aim, which is to be healthier, but also ‘chunk it’ - it’s a term used in Running which means to just concentrate on the next 100 metres only, then the next and so on, it breaks down the run into chunks making it easier to keep going until the finish line - keep chunking it and think about the little steps which over time will make a huge difference 😉

This helps me stay motivated. When I stray it only lasts a day or a meal.
At other times when I am tempted by cake etc, I think;
Do I want to lose my sight.
Do I want to lose my toes.
Do I want heart disease.
Do I want to damage my kidneys.
All the above will happen if I don’t control my diabetes and stay motivated.
A bit harsh I know, but it works for me.
Does is work all the time for you? My problem is well if I have that cake now, it's not going to make a massive impact to the long-term but the trouble is I end up spiralling :(

Don’t lose sight of the main aim, which is to be healthier, but also ‘chunk it’ - it’s a term used in Running which means to just concentrate on the next 100 metres only, then the next and so on, it breaks down the run into chunks making it easier to keep going until the finish line - keep chunking it and think about the little steps which over time will make a huge difference 😉
Yes, breaking the overall aim or target down into smaller chunks is key!

Does is work all the time for you? My problem is well if I have that cake now, it's not going to make a massive impact to the long-term but the trouble is I end up spiralling :(
No, I’ve had lapses too.
Generally though I’m low/carb keto. I feel so much better when I’m eating this way, both mentally and physically.
Carbs/sugary foods are without doubt addictive for me.
Carbs lead to more carbs.
Remember the old adage, do you prefer chips or toes.

No, I’ve had lapses too.
Generally though I’m low/carb keto. I feel so much better when I’m eating this way, both mentally and physically.
Carbs/sugary foods are without doubt addictive for me.
Carbs lead to more carbs.
Remember the old adage, do you prefer chips or toes.
Carbs certainly do lead to more carbs! I've lapsed so much I can't see the woods from the trees to get back on the wagon. But today is a new day! 😎

A very interesting question

I have 2 main drivers.

1. To feel well, fit, happy, achieving success (weight loss, good BGs, etc)
2. Sheer terror, fear of complications of diabetes if uncontrolled
3. (Ok I can't count) intense dislike of failure (but a sheer joy of success)
4. An even greater intense dislike of not understanding or of not knowing relevant things

Me being me I take things very seriously and probably to extremes, micro managing my diet and exercise (but I have relaxed a bit more recently), but it works for me

Carbs certainly do lead to more carbs! I've lapsed so much I can't see the woods from the trees to get back on the wagon. But today is a new day! 😎

That‘s the spirit @NeoUser !

No point in wasting energy regretting the past. Be kind to yourself, accept yourself, and move forward.

You can’t change past decisions, but you can learn from them, and make today’s choices based on today.

That‘s the spirit @NeoUser !

No point in wasting energy regretting the past. Be kind to yourself, accept yourself, and move forward.

You can’t change past decisions, but you can learn from them, and make today’s choices based on today.
Thank you, well said!

Back