Hi I joined today

I had chicken leg thigh cooked in gravy and extra mutton gravy with four rotis for lunch.
I had Paneer Masala Dosa with Sambar for dinner. Going to check my sugar after an hour.
Tomorrow I will test immediately before I eat and then two hours later.
I suspect it is the rotis which are the reason as being flour based as high carb. to give you an idea, the Carbs and Cals book give a 43g roti as being 20g carbs so if similar you would have had 80g carb which would likely be too much in one meal. So I think with the other ingredient your meal could well have been nearly 100g carbs.
If you are looking at low carb then 130g carbs per day is a good starting point and that includes drinks and snacks.

You are absolutely right. It is the rotis that spiked the sugar. I am aiming for 130 g carbs.

I am unable to register for Learning Zone as it is asking for some UK area code. I am from India.

You are absolutely right. It is the rotis that spiked the sugar. I am aiming for 130 g carbs.
The book/ Carbs and Cals there is a version specifically aimed for other cuisines, Carbs and Cals World Foods which you may find useful.

Before meal/breakfast 126 mg = 7 mmol
2 hours after meal/breakfast (from first bite at 8.40 am) 174 mg= 9.66 MMOL
After checking sugar at 8.30 am, I had a snack at 8.40 since breakfast was being prepared by my wife. Started eating proper breakfast at 9.15 am onwards.

Before meal/breakfast 126 mg = 7 mmol
2 hours after meal/breakfast (from first bite at 8.40 am) 174 mg= 9.66 MMOL
After checking sugar at 8.30 am, I had a snack at 8.40 since breakfast was being prepared by my wife. Started eating proper breakfast at 9.15 am onwards.
This is going to be confusing things in judging if your 'snack' and breakfast are OK, as soon as you start to eat food starts to be converted to glucose by the enzymes in your mouth but if you are then eating something else after some time, it is effectively topping up what you already have eaten. So the second test is not a full 2 hours from your main breakfast.
In that circumstance I would have tested before you started you actual breakfast and then 2 hours after that.

I think it is important to understand that there is an element of discipline to diabetes management and having a snack before breakfast is probably a lack of discipline unless you had a good reason for it. You certainly won't die of hunger in that 35 min period whilst your wife prepares breakfast, so you don't "need" a snack. As @Leadinglights suggests, the snack compromises the test to a certain extent because the release of carbs from the snack will start impacting your levels before you start breakfast itself. What was the snack? Was it carb rich or more protein and fat?

I think it is important to understand that there is an element of discipline to diabetes management and having a snack before breakfast is probably a lack of discipline unless you had a good reason for it. You certainly won't die of hunger in that 35 min period whilst your wife prepares breakfast, so you don't "need" a snack. As @Leadinglights suggests, the snack compromises the test to a certain extent because the release of carbs from the snack will start impacting your levels before you start breakfast itself. What was the snack? Was it carb rich or more protein and fat?
I think I had two salted biscuits

I checked my sugar just before eating breakfast. I shall be checking 2 hours after the first bite and post the result here. My query is can I take my normal medicines including Metformin now or should I take them after the 2-hour test? Please guide.

Medicines are fine to take with your food and indeed it is important to take some like Metformin with food, so hope you did that. Looks like you had a great result from that breakfast.

Back