Hi I joined today

Hello @raaeft1 and welcome to the forum.
Do you know what your HbA1C level is, or what it was when you were diagnosed? This would let us know how deep into the diabetic zone you are.

I and many of us in here have gained remission from Type 2 Diabetes through lifestyle (either no medication or just metformin alone), mainly by eating much less carbohydrates plus taking no snacks and taking a 30min brisk walk 5 times per week which the British NHS recommend. However the NHS dietary advice for T2 diabetics i not good, since it includes too many carbohydrates - starches from grains and sugars from fruits.
I have heard that dietary control of diabetes is particularly difficult for people from your part of the world both because of the typical diet (vegetarian with lots of rice and/or breads) and the typical body type (slim but with some extra weight around the middle). Actually that is my natural body type too and is known as TOFI (Thin Outside, Fat Inside).

So far as diet is concerned, fish (if you eat it), Eggs, Paneer, Ghee are all your friends, along with leafy vegetables. Here in the UK when I eat at an Indian/Pakistani/Nepalese restaurant I have no rice or bread, instead I have a Saag Paneer dish along with a meat or chicken curry.

Do you know what your HbA1C level is, or what it was when you were diagnosed? This would let us know how deep into the diabetic zone you are.

I and many of us in here have gained remission from Type 2 Diabetes through lifestyle (either no medication or just metformin alone), mainly by eating much less carbohydrates plus taking no snacks and taking a 30min brisk walk 5 times per week which the British NHS recommend. However the NHS dietary advice for T2 diabetics i not good, since it includes too many carbohydrates - starches from grains and sugars from fruits.
I have heard that dietary control of diabetes is particularly difficult for people from your part of the world both because of the typical diet (vegetarian with lots of rice and/or breads) and the typical body type (slim but with some extra weight around the middle). Actually that is my natural body type too and is known as TOFI (Thin Outside, Fat Inside).

So far as diet is concerned, fish (if you eat it), Eggs, Paneer, Ghee are all your friends, along with leafy vegetables. Here in the UK when I eat at an Indian/Pakistani/Nepalese restaurant I have no rice or bread, instead I have a Saag Paneer dish along with a meat or chicken curry.
I picked up a leaflet in Morrisons pharmacy 'Mangaging diabetes'. Some not bad explanation of the difference between Type 1 and 2 and symptoms to look out for but says Type 1 typically affects younger people and also on managing weight to include pasta, rice and potatoes.
Missed opportunity but probably still valuable for the explanations.

If you blitz or grate a cauliflower until it resembles rice grains, then steam it or stir fry then steam for 8-10 minutes, it does make an acceptable substitute for cooked rice.

Thank you. Will search my medical records and post my HBA1C details.

Yes, I will follow this while eating outside. Also, have dals.

Do be aware that the lentils in dahls can release more glucose into the blood stream for some people than others. Sadly I am one of them. :( My body seems to be able to extract more glucose from them than they are supposed to contain and I am not the only one, so you might want to test the effect dahl has on your BG levels before assuming they are a good choice.

I picked up a leaflet in Morrisons pharmacy 'Mangaging diabetes'. Some not bad explanation of the difference between Type 1 and 2 and symptoms to look out for but says Type 1 typically affects younger people and also on managing weight to include pasta, rice and potatoes.
Missed opportunity but probably still valuable for the explanations.
Last HBA1C tested at lab on August 19,2022 ---6.3 %
Estimated HBA1C as per Centre application 7.1% (varies almost daily depending on sugar tested on my monitor.
Average Sugar as per mySugr application my last 90 days (159 mg) don't test regularly as per my doctor's advice.
June 25 2023-- 2 hours after lunch =211 mg and 2 hours after dinner=154 mg.

Do be aware that the lentils in dahls can release more glucose into the blood stream for some people than others. Sadly I am one of them. :( My body seems to be able to extract more glucose from them than they are supposed to contain and I am not the only one, so you might want to test the effect dahl has on your BG levels before assuming they are a good choice.
Thank you I will do so

Last HBA1C tested at lab on August 19,2022 ---6.3 %
Estimated HBA1C as per Centre application 7.1% (varies almost daily depending on sugar tested on my monitor.
Average Sugar as per mySugr application my last 90 days (159 mg) don't test regularly as per my doctor's advice.
June 25 2023-- 2 hours after lunch =211 mg and 2 hours after dinner=154 mg.
Those results in % don't look too bad, but it is a year since you last had an official HbA1C and estimates from spot readings put into apps are not very accurate so it would be wise to get an up to date test done.
The post meal readings we would look at in mmol/l so to convert from your readings we need to divide by 18 so that would give11.7 and 8.5 which are both higher than desirable as we would be looking at no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l 2 hours post meal. However pairs of readings so before you eat and after 2 hours will give you an idea of how suitable your meals are. You would be aiming at 4-7mmol/l fasting and before meals.
Many people here are also told they do not need to test but find it a very useful way of being in control of their diabetes management to find meals which their body can tolerate as by doing that you can cut out or reduce portions of foods which are a problem.

Those results in % don't look too bad, but it is a year since you last had an official HbA1C and estimates from spot readings put into apps are not very accurate so it would be wise to get an up to date test done.
The post meal readings we would look at in mmol/l so to convert from your readings we need to divide by 18 so that would give11.7 and 8.5 which are both higher than desirable as we would be looking at no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l 2 hours post meal. However pairs of readings so before you eat and after 2 hours will give you an idea of how suitable your meals are. You would be aiming at 4-7mmol/l fasting and before meals.
Many people here are also told they do not need to test but find it a very useful way of being in control of their diabetes management to find meals which their body can tolerate as by doing that you can cut out or reduce portions of foods which are a problem.
Thank you. Will work on this. Should I continue in this thread or post in the general chat?

Just checked my sugar two hours after lunch
177 mg= 9.83 mmol
What did you have for lunch?

As suggested by @Leadinglights above, if you start testing immediately before you eat and then 2 hours later, the pre meal reading will give you a baseline so that you can see how much that meal increased your levels and make decisions about whether your body coped OK or it was too heavy on carbs and increased your levels too much. So for instance if your premeal reading was 150 (8.3) and your post meal was 177 (9.8) then actually that meal wasn't too bad as it only raised your levels by 27 (1.5). However if your levels were 120 ( 6.7) before the meal and 177 (9.8) afterwards then your body was struggling to cope with that amount of carbs. You are looking to keep the rise in BG below 54 mg/dl (3 mmols) better still less than 36mg/dl (2mmols) increase. If you can regularly keep the rise in BG down, your baseline level will start to come down into range and then you are looking to keep the 2 hour post meal reading below 153mg/dl (8.5mmols)

Hopefully that makes sense but if you don't understand please ask.

What did you have for lunch?

As suggested by @Leadinglights above, if you start testing immediately before you eat and then 2 hours later, the pre meal reading will give you a baseline so that you can see how much that meal increased your levels and make decisions about whether your body coped OK or it was too heavy on carbs and increased your levels too much. So for instance if your premeal reading was 150 (8.3) and your post meal was 177 (9.8) then actually that meal wasn't too bad as it only raised your levels by 27 (1.5). However if your levels were 120 ( 6.7) before the meal and 177 (9.8) afterwards then your body was struggling to cope with that amount of carbs. You are looking to keep the rise in BG below 54 mg/dl (3 mmols) better still less than 36mg/dl (2mmols) increase. If you can regularly keep the rise in BG down, your baseline level will start to come down into range and then you are looking to keep the 2 hour post meal reading below 153mg/dl (8.5mmols)

Hopefully that makes sense but if you don't understand please ask.
I had chicken leg thigh cooked in gravy and extra mutton gravy with four rotis for lunch.
I had Paneer Masala Dosa with Sambar for dinner. Going to check my sugar after an hour.
Tomorrow I will test immediately before I eat and then two hours later.

Going to check my sugar after an hour.
Tomorrow I will test immediately before I eat and then two hours later.
Why are you testing one hour after eating today and two hours after tomorrow? Better to stick to two hours after.

I monitor my dietary intake, exercise, and diabetes on My Net Diary. Today approximate carb consumption is lower than on other days. However, this is approximate as values for most Indian food are unavailable.

Back