Hello new Type 2 HBa1C of 55....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya. I may see how I go without the metformin as you point out.... #

Symptoms: I still wake up with a dry mouth, but that could be the diet or the beta blockers as I'm on bisoprolol for the tachycardia and it's a known side effect along with freezing feet! I don't need to pee in the night. I have more energy having lost a stone and a quarter that's for sure!
If you have a dry mouth but not thirsty it could be you sleep with your mouth open so you are breathing through your mouth rather than your nose.

Update: HBA1C is now 37..... losing 10.5kg works. Did that in 120 days.

Still trying to lose another 5kg but keep eating spoons of peanut butter in my yoghurt..... Serum Cholesterol is 5.0/mmol/l so high end of normal. Might need more olive oil and less double cream.

Thanks everyone for top tips especially the Metformin MR: My top tip was myfitnesspal and eating konjak pasta for pasta.... and Exante pot meals doctored with a spoon of petit pois or topped off with spinach.

what do I do about the cholesterol>?

Alison /mrsMimoo

Last edited:
Fantastic achievement! Huge WELL DONE from me! I hope you are really proud of yourself because you deserve to be.

Fantastic achievement! Huge WELL DONE from me! I hope you are really proud of yourself because you deserve to be.
Thank you x I still can't quite believe it! Will continue on the low carb, and try to lose more weight. x

Well done! Fantastic news :D

My cholesterol reduced as I lost weight, it was 6.4 mmol/mol in October and 4.6 mmol/mol in February, so hopefully yours will do the same. It's probably a question for your GP though, I suspect they'll offer you statins if they haven't already. Mine did, but I said I'd rather try and continue with my diet changes and review it next time I see him.
HBA1C is now 37..... losing 10.5kg works. Did that in 120 days
You've done so well Alison, I hope you're proud of yourself! I'm proud of you 🙂

Great work!

It's good to see I'm not the only one who can't resist Peanut butter.

My cholesterol was OK but went up when I lost weight, so I got offered statins. I said I'd rather not right away and try to bring it down through diet - even though I don't each much with saturated fat in it.

Great work!

It's good to see I'm not the only one who can't resist Peanut butter.

My cholesterol was OK but went up when I lost weight, so I got offered statins. I said I'd rather not right away and try to bring it down through diet - even though I don't each much with saturated fat in it.
Ive been hyperfocused on the hba1c, so have ignored cholesterol (also GP has not tested it for 3 years). So may need to modify a few things. I used to eat oats quite alot but they are awful for BG so need some other soluble fibre, thinking about making keto bread with extra fibre or similar.

Peanut butter is my only 'sweet' treat apart from the odd berry. I have it with a bit of double cream or some greek yoghurt..... I am addicted to the organic crunchy variety.

I make bread using some psyllium husk and eat a lot of veg, so I think I'm getting a fair bit of fibre. I used to eat oats, but when I wore a Libre I saw a spike - BG went up but came down really quickly. I haven't had Oats since. :-(

I like the big tubs of ALDI peanut butter, both crunchy and non-crunchy. I have it with Greek yoghurt and piles of raspberries (Most fruit doesn't seem cause me any issue with BG.)

I used to use a bit of double Greek in a few recipes, but cut it out when I found I had high cholesterol.

peanut butter is a good oil for lipids so I'll keep eating it. I will however introduce Psyllium husk fibre to some of my foods to help mop up any excess cholesterol....

Generally, the most effective way of reducing LDL cholesterol is to take a statin.

Failing that, things which can have a moderate effect:

- Cut saturated fat (but not poly/monounsaturated fat)
- Cut refined carbs (but not fruit, whole grains etc).
- Eats lots of fibre

Last edited:
When losing weight cholesterol is likely to go up as it is part of the transport system moving the fats from cells to liver to be broken down. It is not some dreadful consequence of wrong diet but part of a natural process.

This is why I didn't want to leap straight onto statins, as my cholesterol was within the recommended levels when I was diagnosed, but had gone up after losing a fair amount of weight very quickly. I'd read online that losing weight can put it up briefly. Now I've stabilised my weight (I actually put some on) I'm hoping it will come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back