Hello new Type 2 HBa1C of 55....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't just Prof Taylor saying about lasting T2 Diabetes remission, it's also the Low Carb exponents in the UK (Dr David Unwin etc. ) , in Australia (Dr Paul Mason. Dr Gary Fettke etc) , in South Africa (Prof Tim Noakes ), in the USA (the Virta doctors including Volek and Sarah Hallberg) and from Canada a proponent of fasting which is a more extreme version of vlcd or Low Carb for the morbidly obese ( Dr Jason Fung). All of the above mentioned including Prof Taylor have agreed a definition of the term Type 2 Diabetes remission, in the last couple of months.
And there are people who have met that definition for over 10yrs - so don't let anybody try to persuade you that it's a myth!
I have now had an email from the actual Professor Taylor (I was so suprised) and he's saying I'm on the right track and my blood tests prove it. This and you guys makes me feel I am going to get there...

That’s a good achievement!
I have also acquired a testing kit - gluconavi. I'll have a go tomorrow at a wake up blood sugar reading (it was 9mmol before food at 0700 when I was diagnosed) and see what it is now. And then before food and after food (two hours). First meeting with diabetic nurse on 4 Jan. Hoping she's enlightened and won't give me the stupid eat well plate basic rubbish as I am now committed to low carb, done with pasta rice and bread, and will stay on my VLCD until i hit 15kg loss. Then i will go on a 1000 to 1200 cal a day low carb regime.... to maintain my weight. There will be no beige food for me. I ate 850 cals on xmas day and my trouser belt is three notches down.

Not tried the metformin as I have IBS and drug complications. But might do at some point. I really want the slow release ones !

I have also acquired a testing kit - gluconavi. I'll have a go tomorrow at a wake up blood sugar reading (it was 9mmol before food at 0700 when I was diagnosed) and see what it is now. And then before food and after food (two hours). First meeting with diabetic nurse on 4 Jan. Hoping she's enlightened and won't give me the stupid eat well plate as I am now committed to low carb, done with pasta rice and bread, and will stay on my VLCD until i hit 15kg loss. Then i will go on a 1000 to 1200 cal a day low carb regime.... no beige food for me. I ate 850 cals on xmas day but no carbs. I dont' feel so thirsty in the morning any more and my trouser belt is three notches down.

Not tried the metformin as I have IBS and drug complications. But might do at some point. want the slow release ones !
Going with a low calorie diet you need to be careful with as low calorie normals means high carb.Fair enough not trying the metformin as even without your medical conditions it can have unfortunate side effects but the slow release does stop some of the side effects

Going with a low calorie diet you need to be careful with as low calorie normals means high carb.Fair enough not trying the metformin as even without your medical conditions it can have unfortunate side effects but the slow release does stop some of the side effects
I'm on exante meal replacement shakes, with green veg twice a day and the occasional salmon steak and green veg supper (newcastle diet). I am not exceeding 80mg of carbs a day - can go lower if needed.

I'm on exante meal replacement shakes, with green veg twice a day and the occasional salmon steak and green veg supper (newcastle diet). I am not exceeding 80mg of carbs a day - can go lower if needed.
I’ve heard that the Newcastle diet works quite well for some T2s

I’ve heard that the Newcastle diet works quite well for some T2s
it's easy to stick to and all the stuff i eat goes into myfitnesspal so I can add it up.
Professor Taylor told me to lose 15kg so I will. my HbA1C has gone down from 55 to 49 in a month already.

it's easy to stick to and all the stuff i eat goes into myfitnesspal so I can add it up.
Professor Taylor told me to lose 15kg so I will. my HbA1C has gone down from 55 to 49 in a month already.
That’s great to get your HbA1C down that much!

That’s great to get your HbA1C down that much!
I think I was just too fat for my own body. The personal fat threshold theory of professor Taylor I think seems to apply to me. I am going to try to get to the weight I was when I was in my 20s and see if that works. I think/hope it will.

Last edited:
I think I was just too fat for my own body. The personal fat threshold theory of professor Taylor seems to apply to me. I am going to try to get to the weight I was when I was in my 20s and see if that works. I think/hope it will.
Don’t forget that yes weight is a big contributor to T2 but isn’t always the cause

Just did before food early morning blood sugar on gluco navi. It was 4.7mmol this morning compared to at diagnosis it was 9mmol. cautiously hopeful here. As it was my first time I ended up stabbing my fingers about 6 times to get a sample (newbie errors).

Just did before food early morning blood sugar on gluco navi. It was 4.7mmol this morning compared to at diagnosis it was 9mmol. cautiously hopeful here. As it was my first time I ended up stabbing my fingers about 6 times to get a sample (newbie errors).
Oh dear on the finger pricking, there are some YouTube videos which may help you.
But a few tips, make sure your hands are warm, massage your finger gently towards the finger tip, choose a site just to the side of the middle on the flat bit of the finger, and give a quick prick.
I use my middle finger of the left hand and then use my thumb to press gently behind the hole to bring a drop of blood out, which I can collect with the strip already in the monitor. You only need a drop the size of a pin head (not an armful).
The reading you got was brilliant though.

Looking good! That's a completely "normal" reading & a pretty hopeful sign that you may have cleared enough fat from yr liver to get its insulin sensitivity back on track.

Next stop: getting the pancreas sorted (or to put it another way, getting after-eating levels normalised).

Looking good! That's a completely "normal" reading & a pretty hopeful sign that you may have cleared enough fat from yr liver to get its insulin sensitivity back on track.

Next stop: getting the pancreas sorted (or to put it another way, getting after-eating levels normalised).
I am glad its back down from 9mmol! I will continue the weight loss to lose 15kg if I can. thanks for advice on finger pricks lol I'll try a test after my breakfast. should be no more than 3mmol more I gather

You need to test just before you eat and 2 hours after and yes the increase should be no more than 2-3mmol/l, 2 is better so if it is 3 then you might still want to reduce your carbs a bit, obviously if over 3 then definitely look to reducing the carb component of your breakfast.
It would be more accurate if you are testing breakfast to retest rather than use a fasting test if there was much of a time lag from getting up to having breakfast.

Hi! That’s exactly what I’ve done/am busy doing! I think I’m quite fortunate in that my diabetic nurse has a good relationship with professor Taylor so has a very progressive approach. He has been to my health centre before to give talks about weight loss and remission to type 2 patients. Living in Northumberland is a huge benefit also I think. I found professor Taylor’s book hugely enlightening and actually made me a little easier on myself as at diagnosis aswell as fear I was overwhelmed with feelings of self loathing and disgust but as he puts it some people are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at size 10 with a healthy bmi and some size 22 because everyone’s fat tolerance threshold is individual to them and everyones genetic pull for type 2 diabetes is entirely dependent on your genetic make up. So for example my diabetic nurse who is also a type 2 diabetic and has been so since she was 35 is and always has been a size 10 so not even overweight never mind obese. At diagnosis even with this progressive take on things she did say to me right ok Sarah you have type 2 diabetes it is unfortunate and it is sad There is no cure type 2 diabetes cannot be cured but it can be put into remission. She described it something that’s present but not active when put into remission it lays dormant and that it is then in my own hands to keep it so because it all depends on my behaviour. In the main the first part of achieving emission for most people is weight loss and staying in remission long term is maintaining that weight loss since being diagnosed in September I’ve lost 3st 11lb and my last hba1c at the end of November was down from 89 to 45 I’m hoping I can get that down a bit more still. I’m 5ft7 and have gone from a size 22/24 to a size 14. My dad thinks being diagnosed as diabetic has saved my life because it’s only then that I’ve sorted myself out so in a weird way he’s probably right, my dad was diagnosed in his mid 40’s and he wasn’t overweight he has had it for 20 years now and is still managed by tablets and diet x

Random medical appt for an injection and was seen by A Nice diabetes nurse. She gave me some great support and advice, likes my diet, is content I am not going to carry on with the current cheapo Metformin (tried it for 3 days - stomach cramps and the runs...) and is happy that i will keep losing weight until I hit my target. She is thinking I might even be in prediabetic range. I'm not scheduled to have another HbA1C till March. I can wait....

I see you have had lots of helpful information. I would just say that with a current HbA1c of 49 and other bowel problems, you should just keep doing what you have been doing without diabetes medication. My GP practise will not prescribe Metformin if the initial diagnosis HbA1c is under 60. Even the SR version gave my bowel problems. They encourage healthy eating and exercise instead.
I tried a variety of the Exante shakes but found them much too sweet. Instead I take Nuut Paleo and Keto which are also made up with water.

I see you have had lots of helpful information. I would just say that with a current HbA1c of 49 and other bowel problems, you should just keep doing what you have been doing without diabetes medication. My GP practise will not prescribe Metformin if the initial diagnosis HbA1c is under 60. Even the SR version gave my bowel problems. They encourage healthy eating and exercise instead.
I tried a variety of the Exante shakes but found them much too sweet. Instead I take Nuut Paleo and Keto which are also made up with water.
Thanks. Your stats are very impressive. I don't mind the Exante products but might try the Nuut ones you recommend! I quite like the shakes as I takes away any agonising about what I can eat....I just eat them and a stack of green veg....

Do what works for you I couldn’t do the shakes to be fair I didn’t actually try them but the thought of them was enough for me so I went with the hairy bikers diet books and it’s working, as long as you lose weight (if you’re overweight) to reduce the fat in your liver you’ll get there. I’ve put 2lb on over Christmas was feeling rightly sorry for myself yesterday but back on track today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back