Heebie-jeebies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good luck with the exercises @Funnyday - hope you find them helpful.

Reducing your snacking would make a huge difference too if you are able to do that. You may be taking in an extra meal or more’s worth of energy each day in those snacks - so adjusting your meals to be more satisfying and keeping you fuller for longer so that you find it easier to resist the nibbles could really help the exercise to trim you up a little - and that in turn will help your glucose management… which will make you feel less hungry… and so on - it can become a positive cycle that makes progress easier 🙂

I had a three-egg cheese omelet at 10 to 9 am. At 10 to 10 am my bgl was 8.1. At 10 to 11 am it was 7.0.

I had a three-egg cheese omelet at 10 to 9 am. At 10 to 10 am my bgl was 8.1. At 10 to 11 am it was 7.0.

I think I would find it helpful to have a before and 2hrs after reading, rather than 1hr and 2hr, but no before?

That way you can see the ‘rise’ the meal gave you, rather than just the resulting numbers - though your resulting numbers do look great!

I had a couple of ham salad wraps at noon for lunch. My readings are as follows. At 1 pm it was 7.3. At 2 pm it was 9.0. So a high reading at 2 pm.

I've now run out of lancets. I should receive some more this coming week. I will try taking a reading before eating when I get them.

Not official advice, but I just reuse lancets for weeks until they start to hurt!

There’s an old forum jokes about people changing their lancet annually on St Swithin’s Day - whether they need to or not 😉 :D

Yes, I am a member of the St Swithin's day club and it was last July 15th when I last changed my lancet. There have been times since then where I have been up at the stables without washing facilities and had to choose the least dirty finger o_O rather than the cleanest one, as they were all noticeably grubby and never had any issues with infection so far in 4 years of testing and reusing lancets. The only thing I wouldn't do is use one of my lancets on someone else or use their used lancet on me. As long as you use it on yourself only, then reusing should not be a problem. Entirely up to you of course if you want to follow the official guidance of single use and wait for your new ones to arrive.

I really would encourage you to scrap the testing one hour after eating. Testing just before eating and then 2 hours after will give you more useful results.

I've now run out of lancets. I should receive some more this coming week. I will try taking a reading before eating when I get them.
If you can retrieve your lancet you will have something to use for before your meal and you can save on strips by just then doing after 2 hours as1 hour is not too useful.
Your breakfast result looked good but looks like 2 wraps not too good so maybe just try 1 with extra ham.

I don't see how you can reuse lancets. They are spring loaded and after using them once the spring is discharged. So unable to puncture the skin again. I use Unistik 3 comfort lancets.

I don't see how you can reuse lancets. They are spring loaded and after using them once the spring is discharged. So unable to puncture the skin again. I use Unistik 3 comfort lancets.
Yes it looks like those are single use so it may be difficult to reuse.
It does then work out quite expensive though.
I don't think those would hurt any less that those that are reusable, not that they actually hurt anyway.

Can't believe you have probably) the only lancing device on the market that doesn't allow you to reuse them. 🙄 I don't think any of us knew there was such a thing, hence our comments. Even the Accuchek Fastclix, which has cartridges of 6 lancets, allows you to decide when you want to move on to the next lancet in the cartridge, rather than doing it automatically and £9.50 for 100 is going to significantly add to the cost of testing if you can't reuse them. I would urge you to consider using a different lancing device unless you are intent on continuing with single use as it will be economically more viable to buy a new one and save money on buying so many lancets, especially if you are testing quite a lot at the moment.

Can't believe you have probably) the only lancing device on the market that doesn't allow you to reuse them. 🙄 I don't think any of us knew there was such a thing, hence our comments. Even the Accuchek Fastclix, which has cartridges of 6 lancets, allows you to decide when you want to move on to the next lancet in the cartridge, rather than doing it automatically and £9.50 for 100 is going to significantly add to the cost of testing if you can't reuse them. I would urge you to consider using a different lancing device unless you are intent on continuing with single use as it will be economically more viable to buy a new one and save money on buying so many lancets, especially if you are testing quite a lot at the moment.
The only single use lancets I had come across were ones we used in the lab for safety reasons as with many people using the lancing device, not loading it properly and getting blood all over it, we had to change to single use. They were pretty cheap bought in bulk from a lab supplier.

The only single use lancets I had come across were ones we used in the lab for safety reasons as with many people using the lancing device, not loading it properly and getting blood all over it, we had to change to single use.
I have a bag of them somewhere. A hospital used them and they seemed neat and when I asked a nurse gave me some, though I think I only ever used a couple. And now I've got a FastClix so don't care much.

A hospital used them
This was years and years ago. I can imagine hospitals and similar settings still use them. Seems a bit odd to prescribe them, and if I were buying them I'd buy a FastClix and a box of cartridges (which would last a very long time).

Is there any particular reason you’re using single use (and painful) lancets as used in hospitals etc rather than a reusable home device?

They're what I have always used. The large size of the pens puts me off of using them.

They're what I have always used. The large size of the pens puts me off of using them.
What about the large size of the lancing device puts you off? The needle is just as small as single use ones, there’s just a better mechanism for making it less painful which makes the device bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back