Heebie-jeebies

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was first diagnosed with Diabetes. I did a low GI diet which got my levels down. In the years since then, I have slipped back into old eating habits. Which somehow still seems to give me a low hba1c level. I'm going to change my breakfast meal first. For a cheese omelet or Greek yogurt with blueberries and flaked almonds. I'll see how this goes.

You eat as bad as me mate. :rofl: I used to get the heebiejeebies on a regular basis, now I know why. You'll get it sorted once you have been on this forum a while I'm sure. 🙂 Mind you, I'm okay until I get to my sisters. Most of family diabetic and we're all as bad as one another. 🙄

When I was first diagnosed with Diabetes. I did a low GI diet which got my levels down. In the years since then, I have slipped back into old eating habits. Which somehow still seems to give me a low hba1c level. I'm going to change my breakfast meal first. For a cheese omelet or Greek yogurt with blueberries and flaked almonds. I'll see how this goes.

Hopefully a few tweaks to your menu will help you see off the heebie jeebies @Funnyday

Perhaps book an appointment with your GP to discuss the symptoms you are experiencing - they may want to adjust your medication.

As the meds you are taking have the ability to reduce your BG levels you will need to be careful not to make too many drastic changes to your menu without reviewing your meds. Medication and menu need to work hand in hand to manage glucose levels.

It might be that your afternoon snack was causing a swift rise and fall in your glucose levels, and that this ‘wobble’ was triggering your symptoms? Checking your glucose levels when you feel those sensations will help you interpret whether your levels are getting close to hypoglycaemia and need treating (below 4.0mmol/L) or simply caused by erratic BGs.

Let us know what you find out 🙂

I got a reading of 6.3 at 3pm. 6.2 at 4pm. 9.5 at 5pm and 12.3 at 6pm. I had two bags of crisps at 3pm. Two small sausage rolls at 4pm and I had a chicken casserole and rice at 5pm.

Eating fairly high carb meals every hour isn't really useful to see what effect it's having.
At the moment all that food is just adding to the level and leaving it quite high.
What is it at 6:00pm?

So two hours after eating you should aim to be < 8.5

12 is quite high, which might be the cause of the heebie-jeebies. Try cutting out the rice, sausage and crisps, as you don't seem to be able to handle it.

You do seem to be eating high carb food very frequently so it is not surprising that your levels are reaching such a high level of 12.
Is there any reason you are eating so frequently.
Many people will go many hours between eating with only drinks between.
Some people will get into the vicious cycle of eating high carb foods which increases blood glucose so the pancreas overproduces insulin which causes blood glucose to drop causing people to feel hungry and possibly a bit wobbly so they eat high carb foods to counteract the feeling and the cycle starts all over again.

I ate blueberries with Greek yogurt and flaked almonds for breakfast at 8 am. At 9 am my BG level was 10.3. I feel hungry and don't think that I can last all the way to lunch without having something else to eat.

I ate blueberries with Greek yogurt and flaked almonds for breakfast at 8 am. At 9 am my BG level was 10.3. I feel hungry and don't think that I can last all the way to lunch without having something else to eat.

Did you check before your breakfast @Funnyday ? Would be good to know if your levels have risen, fallen or remained the same since you woke up.

It’s not uncommon to see a rise at 1hr because in T2 the first phase insulin release can be reduced or missing. It‘s the number at 2hrs which may give you a better indication.

How about some cheese? olives? nuts and seeds? or an egg? Or even just the yoghurt and blueberries again?!

If you are used to fairly regular snacking it will take a little while before your body stops requesting the food at the time it normally gets it. That can be one of the trickiest things about building in regular snacks - it can become a very hard habit to break out of.

Are you well hydrated? Hunger and thirst can give confusingly similar sensations sometimes.

I worked it out and I only had about 120 calories. I might add a banana and see what that does. I didn't check before breakfast.

What was the reading before you ate?

What sort of Greek yoghurt did you use? I have around 100g or 2% fat FAGE yoghurt, and a handful of berries and sometimes a few almonds or a tablespoon of nut butter.
That doesn't cause my BG to go high, and I'm usually not hungry until the afternoon.

High blood sugar does cause hunger as your metabolism is unable to convert the glucose to energy.

I worked it out and I only had about 120 calories. I might add a banana and see what that does. I didn't check before breakfast.

If yoghurt and nuts is causing a reading of 10, you may well see a higher reading with banana due to the carbs it contains.

I'm not sure a banana would help as you are just adding carbs.
Full fat Greek yoghurt will not add carbs, or try some scrambled eggs with just 1 piece of toast.

It was 8.3 at 10 am.

That’s a great result @Funnyday

Would be interested to see if you found full fat greek yoghurt more filling / sustaining (many here do).

I agree that a banana is on average likely to cause a sharper rise in BG which may give you hunger pangs.

More nuts and seeds alongside the berries in your yoghurt perhaps?

I may add more nuts/seeds to it. I may be able to go without eating the banana. I'll see how I go. I'm not feeling hungry yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back