Heebie-jeebies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funnyday

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm confused about what is going on. I have type 2 Diabetes. I eat breakfast at about 8 am. Lunch is at noon to 1pm. My evening meal is at 5pm. If I am late having it by 15 minutes then I experience the heebie-jeebies. I feel like I am going to have a hypo. I get anxious. I can go all night without eating. But I can't go past 5pm without feeling strange and getting wound up. Any idea what is going on?

I'm confused about what is going on. I have type 2 Diabetes. I eat breakfast at about 8 am. Lunch is at noon to 1pm. My evening meal is at 5pm. If I am late having it by 15 minutes then I experience the heebie-jeebies. I feel like I am going to have a hypo. I get anxious. I can go all night without eating. But I can't go past 5pm without feeling strange and getting wound up. Any idea what is going on?

Do you take a finger prick to see what your BG is?
Are you taking any medication that can lower blood sugar? (i.e. Insulin or something like Gliclazide)

I believe hypo can be a side effect of Trulicity.

Do you have a meter so you can take a reading when you feel the heebie-jeebies?

Some of the symptoms of high blood sugar are similar to those of low blood sugar.

I need a new battery for my meter as I've not used it in a while. I also eat a couple of bags of crisps at 3 pm and a couple of small pork pies/sausage rolls at 4 pm.

I think I'd get some batteries and see what is happening.
What was your last hba1c?

I fancy a snack to fend off hunger pangs.
Then I'd guess you are eating things that create hunger pangs which won't be helping your T2.

Crisps and sausage rolls won't be doing your blood glucose levels any favours and will create their own hunger pangs.

I'd suggest you recharge your blood glucose meter and start monitoring exactly what that kind of food does to your blood sugar levels.

Try eating something like a boiled egg or some cheese and ideally some veggies or salad too instead of the crisps and pork pies.
You are on medication for Type 2 diabetes and weight loss but you are eating foods which will counteract those medications and make you hungry and just make things worse. If you can change your diet, the hunger pangs will go and your diabetes could improve to the point that you even may need less medication and you are likely to also lose weight, but continuing as you are is almost certainly harming you, if this is a daily routine.

What are you having for your regular meals if these are snacks?
It is likely that your regular meals are what is causing a rise and fall in your BG levels and as they fall you feel hungry and want to eat more. Usually about 2 hours after your previous meal or snack. Eating more carbs pushes your BG levels back up again and gradually your body gets used to these higher levels and wants to maintain them. I was a sugar addict prediagnosis so I know what this roller coaster feels like and it amazes me how much less I need to eat now that I avoid those high carb foods and a lot of the time am happy with just 2 meals a day or even just one and a snack and I don't feel hungry in between.
If you can eat more protein, fat and fibre (particularly green veggies/salad) and less carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, pastry, breakfast cereal and fruit) your levels will become more stable and you won't get the hunger pangs in between meals.

As your HbA1C is now 41mmol/mol which I assume you have reduced from a much higher level which would account for the amount of medication you are still taking. You may now be coping with the carbohydrates better though crisps and pastry don't sound too good for keeping your blood glucose where it needs to be. So get your meter out and start testing when you feel shaky as your blood glucose could be high due to the high carb load of crisps and pies which results in over production of insulin which then makes you go low.
Having meals which are based on protein and healthy fats will help you not to feel hungry.

For breakfast, I eat cereals. For lunch, I eat a couple of ham rolls or have a pasty. Evening meals are a variety of prepacked chicken meals with rice. Or a couple of burgers/sausages with a tin of baked beans.

Swap out Crisps for Almonds, Cashews or peanuts (but with peanuts, be careful with lectins, and allergies)

For breakfast, I eat cereals. For lunch, I eat a couple of ham rolls or have a pasty. Evening meals are a variety of prepacked chicken meals with rice. Or a couple of burgers/sausages with a tin of baked beans.
Ouch I would avoid all of that .. none of those will be helping control your blood sugars.
I guess that's why you are still taking 3 medications.
Carbs, carbs and more carbs.

Those medication are designed to work alongside diet. Although you have reduced your HbA1C to 41 which would be considered normal range, which is surprising that you have managed to achieve given you are having a pretty high carbohydrate diet, cereals, bread, pastry, rice, beans are foods which many Type 2s would avoid or only have occasionally and in small portions.

Unfortunately these foods are all poor choices to help you manage your BG levels.
Star with focusing on just one meal and making a change to a lower carb option and get into a habit for that meal for a week or two (breakfast is usually the easiest place to start because most of us have a similar breakfast every morning, so it is easy to make a change to that and stick to it.

Quite a few of us have creamy (full fat) Greek natural (not flavoured) yoghurt with mixed seeds and a few berries and maybe some chopped nuts and cinnamon.
Alternatively, eggs are really good and can be cooked in a variety of ways. I personally prefer an omelette because I can add a variety of different fillings depending upon what needs using up (usually including mushrooms and cheese and onion or peppers and courgettes and whatever meat I have etc and there is no runny yolk which "demands" some bread to mop it up.... I don't buy/eat bread anymore as it is not my friend. I used to love bread and spuds but they almost never feature in my diet anymore and surprisingly, I don't miss them. It took a bit of getting my head around at first but feel better for letting them go.

I am thinking that you are taking one of the medications to help you lose weight, but again those foods you mention are not going to help.
Have a look at this link which may give you some ideas for making some changes, it is an approach which has been found successful in both manging blood glucose and for weight loss. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

OK now I have picked my jaw off the keyboard I have to ask - you do know that diabetes is an inability to deal with carbs?

More importantly - have you had any advice from a competent HCP on how to manage your diabetes or was it just increasing the medication until you got normal Hba1c, although at the very top limit?
I am able to keep my Hba1c at the top end of normal eating a low carb diet, which means that I am very serene and trouble free.
I suspect that your blood glucose is up and down like a sideways version of that pong pong game on the old computers. Your Hba1c might be just normal, but the average of 1 and 99 is 50, and so is the average of 49 and 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back