Has anyone Reversed their Diabetes or put on Remission? Wondering if it is possible for a Type 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, I fitted the profile perfectly and had a strong family predisposition to T2...the perfect storm. 🙄

Interesting MBT. Hope my question wasn’t too intrusive. I certainly fitted the profile, family history, past acute pancreatitis, overweight, stressed and eating like an unsupervised toddler at a birthday party. Biggest surprise was only starting with a Hb of 52! 🙄 (Incidentally been 44, 41, 40 and now 42 without meds).

Interesting MBT. Hope my question wasn’t too intrusive. I certainly fitted the profile, family history, past acute pancreatitis, overweight, stressed and eating like an unsupervised toddler at a birthday party. Biggest surprise was only starting with a Hb of 52! 🙄 (Incidentally been 44, 41, 40 and now 42 without meds).
Nice consistent numbers Amigo. Excellent work mate. 🙂

At what point do those people having bariatric surgery ‘put it into reverse’ though
Apparently it was almost immediate, unless I got the wrong end of the stick. They hadn't lost the weight yet!

Must go check out that link...

What I find fascinating is those people who have bariatric surgery. They've not yet lost their weight but I believe the diabetes is put into reverse. I wonder why? They need to do more research because I want to know. 🙂

It's all about measuring, so you need a Codefree and the strips so you can see what spikes you and what doesn't. Decent amount of exercise, walking at least 30 mins a day. I feel I could reverse mine or put it on hold if only I would stick to my own advice and beat my food addiction. I hate having blurry eyes. Good luck Smitha. Knowledge is everything, keep reading these excellent people, I'm so impressed with the people on this forum. I don't know what I would have done without their help and support. Not that I'm listening at the minute but the info is there for when I can get a handle on my dire lifestyle.

Glad to hear from you Ditto. I shall try and keep me educated.

I was given the choice & opted for no meds. My positive results have shocked everyone at our surgery. I saw one GP there recently about an unrelated issue. He looked at my notes and just said, "sod that, look at this!". He couldn't believe how good my blood results were.
So glad to hear about your results. Way to go Mark. That is a great achievement.

Thanks everyone. It is great to know that there are still chance of getting it under full control and hopefully that day is not far. I know each body is different and results vary. I am wondering whether your GP or DN provide your the testing meters and strips / should we request for one or all of you buy your own here in UK? Just wondering....thanks!

I had do buy my own meter & strips. My DN really wanted to prescribe me them but was not allowed. She is a strong believer in self testing.

So is it that type 2 are not allowed to do self monitoring funded by NHS or something? I didnt know that. It is fine as we can always buy one.

I had do buy my own meter & strips. My DN really wanted to prescribe me them but was not allowed. She is a strong believer in self testing.[/QUOTE

From what I can gather Type 2 is a bit of a lottery for testing equipment depending on where you live. I was lucky and just got the kit given to me when I was diagnosed by the DN, but a lot here haven't and have bought their own.

From my own experience I think I would always advocate self-testing if you can, because I've found it so valuable the last month and a half, and I don't think I'd have done so well without it. You will see some people say you don't need it, and it's fine if it's worked for them, but I'd rather not wait for my HbA1c test every three months to see how I was doing. And at least after a few months if you get a handle on it, then you can cut down your tests. But at least you'll know.

So is it that type 2 are not allowed to do self monitoring funded by NHS or something? I didnt know that. It is fine as we can always buy one.

Unfortunately buying the strips can be prohibitively high for some of our unwaged members Smitha.

Even if they are prescribed don't always get many.
There have even been reports of Type 1 having the number of strips limited.

Unfortunately buying the strips can be prohibitively high for some of our unwaged members Smitha.
They are a lot, especially if you really want to keep on top of your numbers.

My DN told me yesterday that they have problems with some surgeries prescribing the slow-release Metformin as it's more expensive than the usual, although they're both quite cheap. If some won't even do that then I can see that they won't want to prescribe testing strips.

From what I can gather Type 2 is a bit of a lottery for testing equipment depending on where you live. I was lucky and just got the kit given to me when I was diagnosed by the DN, but a lot here haven't and have bought their own.

From my own experience I think I would always advocate self-testing if you can, because I've found it so valuable the last month and a half, and I don't think I'd have done so well without it. You will see some people say you don't need it, and it's fine if it's worked for them, but I'd rather not wait for my HbA1c test every three months to see how I was doing. And at least after a few months if you get a handle on it, then you can cut down your tests. But at least you'll know.
Good inputs Beck. I guess investing on a good meter is the key then.

Yeah I understand that. Wonder why NHS do not support those in need.....it is altogether a different debate.

Even if they are prescribed don't always get many.
There have even been reports of Type 1 having the number of strips limited.
Oh really? That's a shame then.....as I believe being Type 1 you need to know what your levels are always....wonder why such a practice exist among Gps.

They are a lot, especially if you really want to keep on top of your numbers.

My DN told me yesterday that they have problems with some surgeries prescribing the slow-release Metformin as it's more expensive than the usual, although they're both quite cheap. If some won't even do that then I can see that they won't want to prescribe testing strips.
Beck...rightly said as I was just prescribed Metformin instead of my usual SR and i just asked them to change it as i was on it always with my previous doctors back home for which I paid and it is not that expensive too. Wonder why they do that.....let us see what they come up with tomorrow. Really annoying..

Oh really? That's a shame then.....as I believe being Type 1 you need to know what your levels are always....wonder why such a practice exist among Gps.
Many have to get their hospital teams to get them to increase.

Beck...rightly said as I was just prescribed Metformin instead of my usual SR and i just asked them to change it as i was on it always with my previous doctors back home for which I paid and it is not that expensive too. Wonder why they do that.....let us see what they come up with tomorrow. Really annoying..

There’s a lively debate taking place on here on the subject on supplying type 2’s with testing strips at the moment Smitha;

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/testing-strips-meters-for-type-2s.69839/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back