Guidance regarding amount of carbs per day

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I started at 90gm a day and tried to reduce to 50gm a day. But I felt unwell and ended up on 75gm +-15gm after a few weeks of experimenting with measuring before and 2 hours after meals. I normally come out at around 75gm but don't panic if I'm a bit over. But don't forget to include all your fluids, milk, sauces, snacks etc.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I started at 90gm a day and tried to reduce to 50gm a day. But I felt unwell and ended up on 75gm +-15gm after a few weeks of experimenting with measuring before and 2 hours after meals. I normally come out at around 75gm but don't panic if I'm a bit over. But don't forget to include all your fluids, milk, sauces, snacks etc.
Thankyou for that! I need to find a good source of Carbohydrate amounts in gravy etc . Wondering if there is a booklet to be had that is like the Slimming World list of foods that are sins ....but list carb amounts instead

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou for that! I need to find a good source of Carbohydrate amounts in gravy etc . Wondering if there is a booklet to be had that is like the Slimming World list of foods that are sins ....but list carb amounts instead
Check out "Carbs & Calories". A lot of people around here seem to find it very useful.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou! Is it on this website?
It's a book, maybe also an app? I'm sure somebody will be along with more details - I don't use it, but it's very popular.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I use a website called NutraCheck and there are others like My Fitness Pal. I looked up gravy for you. 50ml proper beef gravy is 24 cals and 2.2gm carbs. 50ml chicken gravy is 22 cals and 2.7gm carbs. Bisto beef gravy granules made up to 50ml is 14cals and 2.7gm carbs. Bisto chicken gravy granules made up to 50ml is 13cals and 2.0gm carbs.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum @BeOdd

Hope you find a sustainable way of eating that suits you, your tastebuds and your BG :)
Well I enjoy food so much ... I am already planning my next meal as I am eating what is in front of me ... but I also enjoy a challenge and won’t let anything beat me ... I have turned it into a positive occurrence and believe it was a wake up call to treat my body with more respect... I actually eat a good balanced diet, but it is snacks that are my downfall. I always feel nauseous when I am hungry so I eat something whilst waiting for my meal to cook

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you! I did an experiment today to see what I can get away with ... I was out and about so I ate battered cod, peas and chips ... it was 5.2 the day before ... last night I was 6.6 .... so I now know how naughty that was ! But it had to be done ... I need to know what favourite foods I have to avoid from here on in... but it will be worth it not to have to take medication. It shall be trial and error for the first few weeks
Hi

Testing once a day will tell you little to nothing about which foods you can get away with and which you need to reduce portion size or eliminate. BG varies quite significantly through the day, even for a non diabetic. What you are looking for is your BG response to food. To find this, you need to test before each meal and then 2 hours after eating it. The 2 hour point afterwards is usually roughly the point at which your BG will peak as a result of the food, although if it was a particularly fatty meal like pizza, the peak can occur later. If your BG rises by 3 or more(but ideally no more than 2) at that 2 hour point after eating, then you ate too many carbs and need to reduce the carb content of that meal.

I too used to be like you and could eat my weight in sweets without getting sick and snacked between meals or whilst I was cooking. Since I started following a low carb, high fat way of eating I rarely feel hungry because the fat takes longer to digest than carbs, so it makes me feel fuller for longer and provides slow release energy and I often don't bother with lunch because I just don't need it. I eat so much less food than I used to but I eat good quality food. It has been a total revelation to no longer have those cravings and be so dependent on/obsessed with food but still very much enjoy what I eat. Over Christmas, people were eating chocolates and offering me some and it was not difficult to refuse..... this is pretty much a miracle as far as I am concerned as I was a chocoholic. It takes 2-3 months for your body and mind to come to terms with low carb eating but for me it has been quite liberating as I feel like I have control again.

For me it was important to find low carb snacks that I enjoyed, particularly in the early days, so for those occasions when you feel hungry or a bit nauseous, have a chunk of cheese or some nuts (walnuts or brazils or hazelnuts are lowest carb) or some veggie crudités with sour cream and chive dip or a boiled egg with a dollop of full fat mayonnaise or a few olives if you like them or a slice of ham with some creamy coleslaw.

We have spent our whole lives being told that fat is bad and to eat low fat, but because of the absence of fat in our diet we feel hungry more often and want to eat more and the thing we eat more of is carbs. Those carbs make us want to eat more carbs and our bodies produce insulin to deal with the glucose from those carbs but we are not doing enough exercise to burn them off so the body stores them as fat and eventually either our pancreas gets weary of producing so much insulin and starts to falter or our body starts to become immune to all hat insulin (insulin resistance) or we have no more capacity to store the glucose as fat, so there is resistance from the cells in accepting it.... and we get diabetes. The answer seems quite logical to eat less carbs and more fat...... there is also a growing school of thought that the research 70years ago on which the low fat dietary advice was based may well have been flawed and in any case. the obesity we now suffer as a society is leading people to higher risk of Cardiovascular problems than eating fat ever did. Surprisingly, fat does not in itself make you fat because it is self limiting..... you really don't want to eat too much of it as it is rich and you get full quickly, whereas 2-3 hours after eating carbs you are often looking for a top up/snack because your body stashed the glucose away and your BG levels are dropping.

Hopefully some of that makes sense.

I was very sceptical of eating more fat, but my weight is now stable at a normal BMI, I no longer feel hungry all the time and best of all, I enjoy my food.... I just don't feel the need to eat a lot of the rubbish throughout the day. For me now, on a very low carb diet, an occasional apple (with cheese) or banana (usually with a large helping of cream) is a huge treat and I really appreciate and savour them.... far more than I ever did before and more than I ever did with a packet of sweets. NB. The fatty food (cheese or cream) with the fruit slows the release of glucose from the fructose in the fruit, so you don't get a big BG spike from it.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Testing once a day will tell you little to nothing about which foods you can get away with and which you need to reduce portion size or eliminate. BG varies quite significantly through the day, even for a non diabetic. What you are looking for is your BG response to food. To find this, you need to test before each meal and then 2 hours after eating it. The 2 hour point afterwards is usually roughly the point at which your BG will peak as a result of the food, although if it was a particularly fatty meal like pizza, the peak can occur later. If your BG rises by 3 or more(but ideally no more than 2) at that 2 hour point after eating, then you ate too many carbs and need to reduce the carb content of that meal.

I too used to be like you and could eat my weight in sweets without getting sick and snacked between meals or whilst I was cooking. Since I started following a low carb, high fat way of eating I rarely feel hungry because the fat takes longer to digest than carbs, so it makes me feel fuller for longer and provides slow release energy and I often don't bother with lunch because I just don't need it. I eat so much less food than I used to but I eat good quality food. It has been a total revelation to no longer have those cravings and be so dependent on/obsessed with food but still very much enjoy what I eat. Over Christmas, people were eating chocolates and offering me some and it was not difficult to refuse..... this is pretty much a miracle as far as I am concerned as I was a chocoholic. It takes 2-3 months for your body and mind to come to terms with low carb eating but for me it has been quite liberating as I feel like I have control again.

For me it was important to find low carb snacks that I enjoyed, particularly in the early days, so for those occasions when you feel hungry or a bit nauseous, have a chunk of cheese or some nuts (walnuts or brazils or hazelnuts are lowest carb) or some veggie crudités with sour cream and chive dip or a boiled egg with a dollop of full fat mayonnaise or a few olives if you like them or a slice of ham with some creamy coleslaw.

We have spent our whole lives being told that fat is bad and to eat low fat, but because of the absence of fat in our diet we feel hungry more often and want to eat more and the thing we eat more of is carbs. Those carbs make us want to eat more carbs and our bodies produce insulin to deal with the glucose from those carbs but we are not doing enough exercise to burn them off so the body stores them as fat and eventually either our pancreas gets weary of producing so much insulin and starts to falter or our body starts to become immune to all hat insulin (insulin resistance) or we have no more capacity to store the glucose as fat, so there is resistance from the cells in accepting it.... and we get diabetes. The answer seems quite logical to eat less carbs and more fat...... there is also a growing school of thought that the research 70years ago on which the low fat dietary advice was based may well have been flawed and in any case. the obesity we now suffer as a society is leading people to higher risk of Cardiovascular problems than eating fat ever did. Surprisingly, fat does not in itself make you fat because it is self limiting..... you really don't want to eat too much of it as it is rich and you get full quickly, whereas 2-3 hours after eating carbs you are often looking for a top up/snack because your body stashed the glucose away and your BG levels are dropping.

Hopefully some of that makes sense.

I was very sceptical of eating more fat, but my weight is now stable at a normal BMI, I no longer feel hungry all the time and best of all, I enjoy my food.... I just don't feel the need to eat a lot of the rubbish throughout the day. For me now, on a very low carb diet, an occasional apple (with cheese) or banana (usually with a large helping of cream) is a huge treat and I really appreciate and savour them.... far more than I ever did before and more than I ever did with a packet of sweets. NB. The fatty food (cheese or cream) with the fruit slows the release of glucose from the fructose in the fruit, so you don't get a big BG spike from it.
Thankyou for taking the trouble to write all of that! I shall get back to you later after I have had time to read and absorb .... but first I have to get some food down my neck! All this talk of food is making me hungry

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you! I did an experiment today to see what I can get away with ... I was out and about so I ate battered cod, peas and chips ... it was 5.2 the day before ... last night I was 6.6 .... so I now know how naughty that was ! But it had to be done ... I need to know what favourite foods I have to avoid from here on in... but it will be worth it not to have to take medication. It shall be trial and error for the first few weeks
If the 6.6 was a long time after eating, you do not know how high it may have risen before falling again. As @rebrascora says, structured testing is needed!

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I found that eating fewer carbs in the mornings was good - like 10 gm with breakfast and the rest in the evening - it meant that I could have a dessert after dinner if I still felt the need later on, and it showed that I was more resistant to my insulin AM than PM. Being able to eat fish chips and peas and not spiking stratospheric is good - concentrating on not eating the sugary foods to start with might be your super power - but you do need to be consistent with your testing at the two hour point, otherwise you can't make any comparisons.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If the 6.6 was a long time after eating, you do not know how high it may have risen before falling again. As @rebrascora says, structured testing is needed!
It was an hour after the meal ... I am testing willy nilly... I don’t want to waste the strips but I need like you say to get some structure going ... I was thinking that after a fortnight of once a day, that I would do it weekly not to waste them... I really haven’t got a clue have I . I need to absorb all the comments and the course can’t come soon enough!

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It was an hour after the meal ... I am testing willy nilly... I don’t want to waste the strips but I need like you say to get some structure going ... I was thinking that after a fortnight of once a day, that I would do it weekly not to waste them... I really haven’t got a clue have I . I need to absorb all the comments and the course can’t come soon enough!
OK, so with a fatty meal like fish and chips the peak of the rise is often more like 3 or 4 hours than 2, so you may have gone much higher than 6.6 later on. With something high carb but low fat like cereal, the peak could be well under 2 hours.

Because of the cost of strips, we cannot really test 2, 3 or more times after each meal as well as before, so we recommend testing at first bite and 2 hours later to be consistent.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
An hour after eating a fatty meal like fish and chips and mushy peas, the majority of the carbs will not have been digested so the glucose from them will hardly have started hitting your blood stream and therefore the reading you took means nothing and you wasted that strip anyway. The best advice that I can give you is to buy plenty of test strips.... at least 2 or 3 pots of 50 and test just before and then 2 hours after each meal and keep a food diary with your readings. The fish and chips and peas (which are also a carb heavy veg) could very easily have pushed your BG into double figures a couple of hours later and kept it there fore several hours later but without testing at the appropriate time you might happily continue to eat it and your next HbA1c result at the docs be a big disappointment.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I agree with others who have said that occasional random spot-checks can only tell you so much ‘background’ information, but can’t really give you actionable results for any particular meal. More structured pre- and post-meal checks, along with a food diary (especially if you can guess/estimate the amount and type of carbs in different meals) will help you to adapt your meal plan to aim for more BG-friendly choices, without unduly having to restrict choices that your body is fine with.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
With some structured testing before and a fixed time, such as two hours, after a meal along with info about the amount of carbs you have eaten will give you info that you can then act on. With simple random spot checks you will not have enough info to make changes.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
OK, so with a fatty meal like fish and chips the peak of the rise is often more like 3 or 4 hours than 2, so you may have gone much higher than 6.6 later on. With something high carb but low fat like cereal, the peak could be well under 2 hours.

Because of the cost of strips, we cannot really test 2, 3 or more times after each meal as well as before, so we recommend testing at first bite and 2 hours later to be consistent.
Ooooof!!! Much higher than6.6 later ???!!! Now that is a worry .... I don’t want to be testing every whipstitch so the sooner I can find food that will keep me consistent the better really! Thankyou for all your help, I learned a lot from that and shall make bullet points to help me along the way. I have learned a lot today so Thankyou!!!