Guidance regarding amount of carbs per day

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
No personal experience but I have seen in another place talk of scrambling silken tofu, which seems to be very low carb. Might be worth a try?

MissDaisy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I would start at 100 and take it from there.
Hi everyone!

Newbie here - That’s roughly what other members have said to aim 30 per meal. There’s so much misinformation out there as on some sites it says 45-60 per meal! So glad I signed up yesterday as DR also said GI diet was best however you guys’ve say LCHF. This is what I am working towards

Just of interest is there an easy math calculation to find out carb count? I noticed online 30g with 8g fibre works out as 26. So if high in fibre this reduces the carb count slightly or can this vary depending inner other ingredients?

Many Thanks in advance MissDaisy

gil2625

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Being recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes ... I would like to know how many carbs I should aim for daily
To all you folks worried about Carbs I whole heartedly endorse Nutracheck a site which is run by qualified nutritionists. It is accessible by App or obviously via computer there are several types of eating plans (I use low carb) but as long as I diary what goes in my mouth daily, all is good. Have been losing constantly over last 15 weeks now down by slightly over 2 stone and BG is looking good. I don't normally check but after a brief hospital stay last week and having finger pricked 3 times I am ecstatic. Also, worth noting I am on 1mg Semaglutide (Ozempic) which is helpful for the weight loss and diabetes (type 2).

MissDaisy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
To all you folks worried about Carbs I whole heartedly endorse Nutracheck a site which is run by qualified nutritionists. It is accessible by App or obviously via computer there are several types of eating plans (I use low carb) but as long as I diary what goes in my mouth daily, all is good. Have been losing constantly over last 15 weeks now down by slightly over 2 stone and BG is looking good. I don't normally check but after a brief hospital stay last week and having finger pricked 3 times I am ecstatic. Also, worth noting I am on 1mg Semaglutide (Ozempic) which is helpful for the weight loss and diabetes (type 2).
Thanks I’ll check it out !

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just of interest is there an easy math calculation to find out carb count? I noticed online 30g with 8g fibre works out as 26. So if high in fibre this reduces the carb count slightly or can this vary depending inner other ingredients?
You have to be aware of whether you’re looking at a Uk site or a US one. In the U.K., carbohydrate has the fibre already deducted from it, so the straight carb figure as listed is the one you need. On American sites, fibre is included in the carb count, so you have to deduct it to get the pure carbs. I’ve never come across a chart where half the fibre is deducted, as seems to be the case with the example you’ve given, that seems odd.

MissDaisy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You have to be aware of whether you’re looking at a Uk site or a US one. In the U.K., carbohydrate has the fibre already deducted from it, so the straight carb figure as listed is the one you need. On American sites, fibre is included in the carb count, so you have to deduct it to get the pure carbs. I’ve never come across a chart where half the fibre is deducted, as seems to be the case with the example you’ve given, that seems odd.
Hi and thanks for reply

In UK so that’s makes it easier

MissDaisy

All The Little Kitties

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I sometimes get Alpro soy yoghurt which is low fat, but I combine it with fatty foods.
The problem with a vegan diet is it isn't what we evolved to eat - despite what the vegan thread on Twitter maintains, the more vegetarian early Hominids all went extinct.
At least with the insulin you can eat more carbs and use that to deal with it but although the Twitter folk maintained that there are tens of thousands of people who were cured of their diabetes by eating wholefoods, I have yet to meet anyone free of medication and lots of exercise on a daily basis. I did ask for diet or recipe recomendations, but all sources seem high carb and low in nutrition. It really does give vegans a mountain to climb.
Before this nightmare happened, I wasn't on any meds at all, didn't even get a headache.

All The Little Kitties

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Are you sure your fake meats are low in carbs?.... I only ask because you were checking sugar content until now if your previous post was anything to go by in that you assumed porridge was low carb. Vegan meat is often significantly higher in carbs than proper meat which generally has none.

@Drummer The OP only has basal insulin so cannot really compensate for carbs in her food at the moment.... I think that might need to change in the near future and additional bolus insulin may be required.
Yes, most of my fake meats are low in carbs. 2 sausages are 1.5gm.

MissDaisy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes, but even in the U.K. you have to be careful if you’re Googling stuff, that you haven't strayed on to an American site.
Hi

I will read the label & stay away from google then .... lol

Thank again MissDaisy