Guidance regarding amount of carbs per day

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Being recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes ... I would like to know how many carbs I should aim for daily

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The answer so often on here is ‘It depends ‘.

We all tolerate different foods in different ways. The important think to think about is how many carbohydrates you are eating. In whatever for the carbs are they will convert into glucose once they get inside you. They then need insulin to deal with them. If your glucose readings are too high (ie you have Diabetes) then you do not have enough insulin available or it does not work properly. If you eat less carbs you will need less insulin.

One good thing to do would be to find out how much carbs you are taking on board at each meal. You can then reduce this. No need to take any notice of the ‘of which sugars’. Just focus on the total carbs in each meal. The info for this will be on packets, or on google, and I know for me when we started to do this we were surprised.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou for your advice .... I just needed to know if 100 carbs a day is average for type 2 diabetes or would it be more like 30 carbs ... I was hoping for a rough guide to aim for to reduce my sugar intake

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This problem is why you often see people reporting being advised to ignore the GP or nurse telling them not to get a meter and find out their blood glucose levels - the amount of carbs, and the foods to choose are very individual - some, like me, have to limit all the high and even medium carb foods because of the spikes they cause - I thought that reducing from 50 gm of carbs down to 40 as the daily limit might push down Hba1c numbers - nope - rock solid on 42.
I'd advise taking your sugar consumption right down as a starter - that cuts out so much which is going to hinder progress. Then the starches - change bread to a low carb version such as Livlife or a protein bread such as that sold in Asda, instead of potatoes, parsnips, carrots have cauliflower, courgette, swede or turnip, avoid grains - even sweetcorn and porridge until you see your numbers coming down. You can make the changes gradually, as eating low carb is very effective.
These days, some years from diagnosis I eat in the mornings, a chop or steak and mushrooms, coffee with cream, and then don't need to eat again until the evening. Salad, stirfry or roasted veges all selected to be 10 percent carbs or less seem to do the trick.
I got my meter from Spirit Healthcare, registered first, did a confirmatory email response and then ordered their Tee 2 meter, lancets and pots of testing strips free of VAT as a consequence of being diagnosed with diabetes.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well the amount that you can tolerate is the amount you can tolerate and there's no minimum or maximum to that because every single person's personal toleration is different. Hence each of us needs to discover that by using a BG meter to inform us.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This problem is why you often see people reporting being advised to ignore the GP or nurse telling them not to get a meter and find out their blood glucose levels - the amount of carbs, and the foods to choose are very individual - some, like me, have to limit all the high and even medium carb foods because of the spikes they cause - I thought that reducing from 50 gm of carbs down to 40 as the daily limit might push down Hba1c numbers - nope - rock solid on 42.
I'd advise taking your sugar consumption right down as a starter - that cuts out so much which is going to hinder progress. Then the starches - change bread to a low carb version such as Livlife or a protein bread such as that sold in Asda, instead of potatoes, parsnips, carrots have cauliflower, courgette, swede or turnip, avoid grains - even sweetcorn and porridge until you see your numbers coming down. You can make the changes gradually, as eating low carb is very effective.
These days, some years from diagnosis I eat in the mornings, a chop or steak and mushrooms, coffee with cream, and then don't need to eat again until the evening. Salad, stirfry or roasted veges all selected to be 10 percent carbs or less seem to do the trick.
I got my meter from Spirit Healthcare, registered first, did a confirmatory email response and then ordered their Tee 2 meter, lancets and pots of testing strips free of VAT as a consequence of being diagnosed with diabetes.
Oh Thankyou that was very helpful! So it depends on the individual then really. I always have porridge for breakfast! .... and I graze all day long ... little and often ...... there is no food on the planet that I don’t like!.... I live to eat .... my life revolves around food !!!! So I have my work cut out starting from the moment I get up !!!! Watch this space .... it shall be one almighty challenge

Mrsw2811

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The DESMOND course I went to in Feb recommended less than 120g carbs and low fats. But, everyone is different and there are many different diets being followed on this forum. I'm trying to stick to under 120g carbs most days until my next hba1c to see if it helps me. Good luck.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The DESMOND course I went to in Feb recommended less than 120g carbs and low fats. But, everyone is different and there are many different diets being followed on this forum. I'm trying to stick to under 120g carbs most days until my next hba1c to see if it helps me. Good luck.
I think that is the course I am booked for, but not until the end of April ... that is the only thing I really needed help with, so thanks for replying .... I shall use 120 as my highest and take it from there. If I hadn’t eaten a whole pyramid of Ferrera Rochet and a multi pack of Crunchies all to myself at Christmas I reckon I would still be Pre Diabetic!!!

Mrsw2811

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think that is the course I am booked for, but not until the end of April ... that is the only thing I really needed help with, so thanks for replying .... I shall use 120 as my highest and take it from there. If I hadn’t eaten a whole pyramid of Ferrera Rochet and a multi pack of Crunchies all to myself at Christmas I reckon I would still be Pre Diabetic!!!
Ha ha! That sounds delicious :p

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Oh Thankyou that was very helpful! So it depends on the individual then really. I always have porridge for breakfast! .... and I graze all day long ... little and often ...... there is no food on the planet that I don’t like!.... I live to eat .... my life revolves around food !!!! So I have my work cut out starting from the moment I get up !!!! Watch this space .... it shall be one almighty challenge
You might be able to manage porridge - some people can, some need to be careful about the amount, or the type of oats they use, and then there's me, who just can't cope with anything grain in the mornings.
I eat meat or fish and low carb foods, which can be quite a large meal - in the hot weather I had a large salad. I do like the foods I can have - but I don't need to eat again all day after a nourishing breakfast. You can eat if you need to - there is always something to eat with the low carb way of eating - just avoid carbohydrate. If you are constantly topping up your intake of carbs you are also topping up your blood glucose level.

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the info!.... I am on a mission now to find out what I cannot eat ... rather than what I can ... I think it might be easier

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It is not always what as simple as that sometimes it can different eating things at different times of the day. Also sometimes adjusting the size of the portion can make a difference.

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
All said above but one thing you might do is to do a retrospective food diary and see just how much carbohydrate you have been eating. Take a typical day and write down everything, including all the grazing and coffees and whatever. Look up carbohydrate content for each item and add it all up. You may have to weigh out some of "your size" portions and do some sums to get carb content for some things.

This will give you a base line and help you when thinking about targets. It will also help you to spot any easy targets - high carb items that can be eliminated from your diet - and it will give you a bit of practice in carb checking, something you will soon get very used to!

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
All said above but one thing you might do is to do a retrospective food diary and see just how much carbohydrate you have been eating. Take a typical day and write down everything, including all the grazing and coffees and whatever. Look up carbohydrate content for each item and add it all up. You may have to weigh out some of "your size" portions and do some sums to get carb content for some things.

This will give you a base line and help you when thinking about targets. It will also help you to spot any easy targets - high carb items that can be eliminated from your diet - and it will give you a bit of practice in carb checking, something you will soon get very used to!
Now that makes a lot of sense to me! I shall take your advice and I am sure I will get the hang of it! Thankyou!

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It is not always what as simple as that sometimes it can different eating things at different times of the day. Also sometimes adjusting the size of the portion can make a difference.
Thank you! I did an experiment today to see what I can get away with ... I was out and about so I ate battered cod, peas and chips ... it was 5.2 the day before ... last night I was 6.6 .... so I now know how naughty that was ! But it had to be done ... I need to know what favourite foods I have to avoid from here on in... but it will be worth it not to have to take medication. It shall be trial and error for the first few weeks

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you! I did an experiment today to see what I can get away with ... I was out and about so I ate battered cod, peas and chips ... it was 5.2 the day before ... last night I was 6.6 .... so I now know how naughty that was ! But it had to be done ... I need to know what favourite foods I have to avoid from here on in... but it will be worth it not to have to take medication. It shall be trial and error for the first few weeks
Nothing much wrong with 6.6 though.

Seriously, I strongly advise not getting stressed about readings in the 6's

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Nothing much wrong with 6.6 though.

Seriously, I strongly advise not getting stressed about readings in the 6's
I was Pre Diabetes in November ... Christmas was the straw that broke the Camel’s back I think ... the reading was 6.8 when the nurse told me I had type 2 .... no meds tho, I have three months to lose weight and bring the number down to 5 ... I take enough meds as it is so I am on a mission !!!!!!

BeOdd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou all for your helpful information... it gives me plenty to work on to give me a good start .... now then what shall I have for breakfast