Guess the HbA1c...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to do DAFNE in order to be able to get a pump... Why do you think pumps shouldn't be offered before DAFNE?!

I think that carb counting is really fundamental for good control. So I don't think it's surprising that people can have trouble with their control (which makes them eligable for a pump) without it. So alot of people once they have the knowledge and skills from DAFNE (or similar) they might not need a pump, as they can get good control.
I have heard of people being offered a pump, doing DAFNE, having much improved control and then not being allowed a pump. Which I don't think is very fair. Of course not everyone will be able to get good control so might still benefit from a pump. If you are a competent carb counter then I don't think DAFNE should be mandatory.

I think it's good for you that you have been offered one, I just think that in general they shouldn't approach it that way. My opinion only, others may disagree with me and thats fine 🙂

No, I wasn't disagreeing at all, I guess I just didn't see what difference it would make if you were offered one before or after seeing as you need to do the course to get one... But now I understand! I have been speaking to my nurse a lot about carb counting, and while I am getting somewhere I'm hoping the DAFNE will fill in the blanks. And if that is enough to improve my levels I am happy; pump or no pump! But you're right, being offered one then having the offer retracted due to improved levels doesn't seem fair. I am not holding my breath anyway... It all seemed a bit easy and I won't believe anything until I can see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back