Glasgow Meet - 10th June 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow’s the big day. Glasgow is going to be hot! Everyone welcome to pop by, I’ll be in residence like the queen! :rofl: Don’t be shy, I remember my first meet, also in Glasgow but another pub, I was petrified. What if they’re all weirdos or axe murderers? But it was great and I’ve made lots of friends over the years, So join us if you can. I can assure you I’m only weird.
😉

Hope you all have a great time tomorrow.

I used Trainline it was simple ( which is great for a Luddite like me) and I store the tickets in my Apple wallet.
I avoid train line genreally because, unlike the train companies, they charge a booking/admin fee.
I am a frequent train passenger so maybe I am less confused by all the options (although the different ticket types can drive you crazy).

Tomorrow’s the big day. Glasgow is going to be hot! Everyone welcome to pop by, I’ll be in residence like the queen! :rofl: Don’t be shy, I remember my first meet, also in Glasgow but another pub, I was petrified. What if they’re all weirdos or axe murderers? But it was great and I’ve made lots of friends over the years, So join us if you can. I can assure you I’m only weird.
😉
Good luck with the day, it is always nerve racking when you have organised something, I don't usually sleep well the night before. Glasgow is a lovely city with all the Macintosh art trails. I was really upset when the School of Art was destroyed by fire and then again after the restoration.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be able to make it: This afternoon, I went out to buy new jeans and a shirt, (along with lightweight socks) for the meet and over did the walking. 🙄

My gyp knee from an old skiing accident started to play up, and I had to be helped back to my flat. At the moment i can barely hobble a couple of metres to the kitchen. I will see what it is like tomorrow morning, but as things stand [pun intended], I doubt I could make it across the road to the express store never mind go to Glasgow.

Sorry folks

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be able to make it: This afternoon, I went out to buy new jeans and a shirt, (along with lightweight socks) for the meet and over did the walking. 🙄

My gyp knee from an old skiing accident started to play up, and I had to be helped back to my flat. At the moment i can barely hobble a couple of metres to the kitchen. I will see what it is like tomorrow morning, but as things stand [pun intended], I doubt I could make it across the road to the express store never mind go to Glasgow.

Sorry folks
That’s a shame but your health comes first. Hope things improve for you soon.

Have a great time together.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 🙂 I had dearly hoped to attend, but it seems it's far more difficult - and expensive - to get to Glasgow from Harrogate than it was from Southampton chiefly because I'm no longer as close to an airport.

I have great memories of Glasgow Meets in the past, so I'm sure everyone will have a lovely day 🙂

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 🙂 I had dearly hoped to attend, but it seems it's far more difficult - and expensive - to get to Glasgow from Harrogate than it was from Southampton chiefly because I'm no longer as close to an airport.

I have great memories of Glasgow Meets in the past, so I'm sure everyone will have a lovely day 🙂
Thanks Alan. I would have loved to see you again, it’s been a while. Maybe we can do another Manchester meet some day or Newcastle.

I avoid train line genreally because, unlike the train companies, they charge a booking/admin fee.
I am a frequent train passenger so maybe I am less confused by all the options (although the different ticket types can drive you crazy).
I always book Avanti trains through the Avanti website. After 9 long distance journeys you get upgraded to a “gold member”, so I received a code for a free return journey anywhere on the Avanti west coast line this week.

😉
Hope you all have a great time, love glasgow so wish I was there!

We’re here, in the main doors at the front and all the way to the right hand side.

Hope you all enjoy yourselves and if you throw your keys into a big bowl or anything like that we don’t need to know! :rofl:

Many thanks to @eggyg for organising the event which went off a treat. Great to put faces and personalities to people who you only know by posts on a forum.

Did you get home OK @eggyg? The London train I got on terminated in Carlisle and we all had to pile on the following London bound train where we got garbled announcements telling us that it would get to Preston (phew!) but they did not know if it would go any further. Something to do with trackside fires somewhere a bit further south. Looked as if they bringing the West Coast main line to a halt. I think you were on the next train so I hope it got as far as Carlisle!

I learned several things including the answer to something I have often wondered about and that is how you enter Chinese characters into texts on a phone! The Chinese student in the seat next to me showed me how it is done so all in all, a brilliant day.

Many thanks to @eggyg for organising the event which went off a treat. Great to put faces and personalities to people who you only know by posts on a forum.

Did you get home OK @eggyg? The London train I got on terminated in Carlisle and we all had to pile on the following London bound train where we got garbled announcements telling us that it would get to Preston (phew!) but they did not know if it would go any further. Something to do with trackside fires somewhere a bit further south. Looked as if they bringing the West Coast main line to a halt. I think you were on the next train so I hope it got as far as Carlisle!

I learned several things including the answer to something I have often wondered about and that is how you enter Chinese characters into texts on a phone! The Chinese student in the seat next to me showed me how it is done so all in all, a brilliant day.
It was a great day. I did get home eventually, train was half an hour late and it was like a greenhouse stood in that station. They were telling folks who had to change at Carlisle to go to the Midlands to stay on the train and get off at Preston where it was hoped they’d have more of a chance of catching their connection! They were having a right nightmare. The train manager was shuffling bits of paper about and trying to advise those affected. Poor bloke. I hope everyone got where they needed to be.

Glad you had such a good gathering and hope that you all made it home without too much hassle.

If any of you are heading south and can make it on the afternoon of 3 Sep we are having a forum meet up in Taunton. On holiday? Heading for Cornwall? just take a break. There is the added bonus of a concert afterwards in aid of Diabetes UK. Two choirs and a steel band.

Glad it went well!

Sorry about the train disruptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back