Getting very angry with Abbott over Libre 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PattiEvans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I got very angry yesterday after installing the latest software release from Abbott for the Libre 2 which is supposed to correct the problems caused by the previous update. Now I am not only getting the slooooow reporting of the actual number after a scan (up to 4 minutes) that I had before, I am also getting the "scan failure, try again in 10 minutes" notice frequently. So I rang them. I obediently re-booted my phone after clearing the cache as instructed. This made no difference at all. So then the conversation went on with me telling the agent that my phone worked perfectly before the update at the end of November prior to the latest one, which was supposed to cure the problems caused. I asked if there was any way I could revert to the original software version and was told NO. So after me telling him I am using a Moto G6 Play phone using Android 9 he tells me it's not one of the compatible phones. He was nice enough and obviously sticking to his script. I then said, "so is it your recommendation that I buy a new phone?" Apparently not... it is his recommendation that I use the reader. I tell him that means carrying reader, phone and PDM at all times, when I can hardly carry a small handbag due to a wedge fracture of my vertibra which causes pain. He then says yes, that's what you'll have to do. In conclusion he says "so can I report that you are complaining because your phone does not work with the sensor". I said "NO you can't" You can report that my phone which previously worked perfectly with the Libre 2 now doesn't work due to Abbot's so called 'upgrade' which was forced upon your users without notice or choice. The problem lays with your software which is unfit for purpose"

FWIW this is what their website says on compatible phones:

FreeStyle LibreLink will only work with phones that meet the following minimum requirements:

• Android Operating System 5.0 and higher, Near Field Communication (NFC) capability.

So my phone meets their recommendation. I'd like to take this further... any ideas on how this can be done?

Sorry to hear this I can't answer your question. Though I had an experience with a caller handler earlier in the week, that made me think they are not as customer centered as they used to be.

I can totally understand your frustration Patti and I am sure this situation was reported by someone else on one of the other Libre problem threads. Will see if I can find it as maybe you can club together to wage quite justifiable war on Abbott over this.

Personally I love using the reader and will continue to do that when I get upgraded to Libre 2 particularly as I read so many reports of the phone app causing problems after updates, but then I often see my phone as a nuisance and intrusion and head out without it, but my reader as an essential and since it is so much smaller than my phone and scans so easily and reliably, it gets preference over my phone for pocket space along with JBs of course, especially since the strap on my little rucksack handbag broke and I haven't managed to fix it yet. 🙄

I went thru exactly the same thing @Pattidevans. My phone WAS compatible but suddenly WASN’T after their upgrade (and it should be compatible, according to the website criteria). I insisted they send me a Libre 2 reader in the end, because it was the only way to solve the problem. I did all my complaining, etc via email because I knew talking to someone would just wind me up. IMHO Abbott have made a right pig’s ear of things. I can’t keep “upgrading” my phone cos their app is rubbish!

I got very angry yesterday after installing the latest software release from Abbott for the Libre 2 which is supposed to correct the problems caused by the previous update. Now I am not only getting the slooooow reporting of the actual number after a scan (up to 4 minutes) that I had before, I am also getting the "scan failure, try again in 10 minutes" notice frequently. So I rang them. I obediently re-booted my phone after clearing the cache as instructed. This made no difference at all. So then the conversation went on with me telling the agent that my phone worked perfectly before the update at the end of November prior to the latest one, which was supposed to cure the problems caused. I asked if there was any way I could revert to the original software version and was told NO. So after me telling him I am using a Moto G6 Play phone using Android 9 he tells me it's not one of the compatible phones. He was nice enough and obviously sticking to his script. I then said, "so is it your recommendation that I buy a new phone?" Apparently not... it is his recommendation that I use the reader. I tell him that means carrying reader, phone and PDM at all times, when I can hardly carry a small handbag due to a wedge fracture of my vertibra which causes pain. He then says yes, that's what you'll have to do. In conclusion he says "so can I report that you are complaining because your phone does not work with the sensor". I said "NO you can't" You can report that my phone which previously worked perfectly with the Libre 2 now doesn't work due to Abbot's so called 'upgrade' which was forced upon your users without notice or choice. The problem lays with your software which is unfit for purpose"

FWIW this is what their website says on compatible phones:

So my phone meets their recommendation. I'd like to take this further... any ideas on how this can be done?
I really do sympathise with what you say. If it is any consolation (and I know it probably isn't) there are many people who are also experiencing identical problems on both Android phones and iPhones, if other forums are anything to go by.

My phone isn't on the list of "official" smartphones listed as compatible with Libre 2 and Librelink. However, if you go into the Freestyle Librelink app on Google Play store, there is a section that tells you whether the Librelink app is compatible with your mobile. It says mine is.

I've checked my phone using the diagnostic tools provided by my mobile manufacturer. According to those diagnostic tools there is nothing wrong with my phone and particularly its near field communication and low energy bluetooth, both of which are working "normally."

My Android phone's operating system upgraded itself from 12 to 13 in the last 5 weeks. I don't have a problem with that. When you buy a new mobile you pay for operating system updates and security patches for a period of time which are supposed to make your mobile more "stable," more secure and less prone to being hacked. Google and mobile phone manufacturers are entitled to update their mobile operating systems and phones.

Around 15 November 2022 Abbott put in Google Play store its first update to Freestyle Librelink. The primary purpose of the update was to allow the smart insulin pens Novopen 6 and Novopen Echo Plus to communicate with Librelink, but also to fix some bugs in Librelink.

My phone downloaded and installed that update. Since then the high and low glucose alarms don't work on my phone. Neither does the signal loss alarm. And my phone now registers constant false "scan errors."

Thankfully I am not hypo unaware. But what are you supposed to do if you are hypo unaware, you've gone to sleep and you are relying on Freestyle Libre 2 sensors and the Librelink app to issue an alarm to wake you (or a partner/friend/carer) up so you are alerted to your sugars potentially going low, so you can double check and have a fighting chance to do something about it?

I've contacted Abbott Customer Services on many occasions and gone through their checklist of things to try (all permissions allowed; turn all alarms off and on again; delete cache; restart phone; uninstall and reinstall Librelink; Abbott sending out replacement sensors on the basis that the sensor you're wearing is faulty). None of these "solutions" has solved the problem permanently.

Abbott put out a further update around 1 December 2022 which was supposed to fix the issues caused by the first update. But the second update still hasn't fixed the problem on my phone permanently.

There's a limit to the number of times I'm prepared to turn my mobile phone on and off again each day to make Librelink work properly.

I don't want to carry around a separate reader in order to get alarms. I remember when Abbott first began promoting the Libre 2 in the UK. At that time they were proactively encouraging users that everything could be done on one's smartphone using their Librelink app.

This issue has been going on for the best part of 6 weeks now and Abbott don't appear to be any closer to sorting the problems with Librelink out permanently for a number of users.

For me Libre 2 is unfit for purpose at present.

And I agree, it is monumentally stupid that there isn't a simple process where you can simply remove the updates so that Librelink is put back to the state it was in before the original upgrade issued in mid November 2022.

It also extraordinarily disappointing no one in the NHS appears to be liaising with Abbott to encourage them to sort this problem out asap. Being able to get replacement Libre 2 sensors isn't enough.

I feel sorry for the customer service staff at Abbott. They will have been given a script and are forced to stick to it.

The Dexcom people must be rubbing their hands with glee though (notwithstanding that apparently the number of prescriptions for non-Abbott glucose monitors in England is reported to be comparatively very small since NICE updated its glucose monitor eligibility guidance in April 2022 and there was some "umbrella" guidance/edict issued by NHS England in August 2022 allowing a wider number of flash and/or continuous glucose monitors to be prescribed - which most integrated care boards/integrated care systems have either ignored or been tortoise-like in implementing).

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Abbott to fix this mess and how many customers they will lose in the meantime.

I don’t want to minimise your problem, but just to put the other side, I have run LibreLink on Nexus 4, Wileyfox Swift, Pixel 3a, and currently Pixel 6a. Now I’m not suggesting for one moment that it’s been all problem free, but hardware compatibility has never been a problem.

As a test I would suggest trying Juggluco (also on Play Store), it does real time (?) CGM by hijacking the alarm signals, and allows a NFC scan to mimic the LL one. It will run alongside LL happily, and will hopefully confirm something:confused:.

Good luck!

As a test I would suggest trying Juggluco (also on Play Store), it does real time (?) CGM by hijacking the alarm signals, and allows a NFC scan to mimic the LL

Thanks for the suggestio. Does Juggluco upload to the LibreLink app online? My Librelink is linked to my diabetic team.

All the same I think Abbott should be held responsible.

Thanks for the suggestio. Does Juggluco upload to the LibreLink app online? My Librelink is linked to my diabetic team.

@Pattidevans Abbott must be held responsible for the current issues. It is Abbott who has convinced the UK Healthcare and Medical Products Regulatory Agency, which regulates medical devices in the UK, to grant Abbott a licence to make available to UK patients their Libre 2 sensors and Librelink software on the basis that, in normal use, a Libre 2 sensor and Librelink app will provide high and low glucose alarms.

I've just seen on another forum a user explain that they are very hypo unaware and rely on the Libre 2/Librelink to do what it is supposed to, who now cannot receive alarms following updates on their phone.

Again I ask: why is the NHS not taking any proactive steps to liaise with Abbott to resolve this matter for patients?

I wonder if people in NHS are aware of the problems people are having.

I don’t want to minimise your problem, but just to put the other side, I have run LibreLink on Nexus 4, Wileyfox Swift, Pixel 3a, and currently Pixel 6a. Now I’m not suggesting for one moment that it’s been all problem free, but hardware compatibility has never been a problem.

As a test I would suggest trying Juggluco (also on Play Store), it does real time (?) CGM by hijacking the alarm signals, and allows a NFC scan to mimic the LL one. It will run alongside LL happily, and will hopefully confirm something:confused:.

Good luck!
Hello @barrym. I hope all is well with you.

Prior to my Android phone downloading and installing Abbott's mid November 2022 update (and the Android OS update from 12 to 13) my phone worked perfectly with Libre 2 sensors and Librelink. Never had a problem with Libre alarms.

Post the updates/OS update, the Librelink alarms don't work.

Perhaps not. I know I've spent all my time contacting Abbott Customer Services and my mobile phone manufacturer.

But I'm sure some of the disgruntled users must have contacted their diabetes clinicians over the last six weeks.

My DSN and consultant are aware because we chatted about the problem. My DSN sighed and said “I should ring them again “ but she’s incredibly busy.

I think I need to get onto my pump nurse to ascertain whether they're aware of the issue or not.

However I do think Abbott should be made accountable for this complete lash up and be held to account. It is not good enough to blame people's phones, especially when their phones meet their published guidelines. At first I was inclined to bear with them as they said they were working on the software to correct their mistake, but I cannot swallow their shrugging off the problem and trying to make it the user's fault. Especially after releasing yet another "fix" that simply makes things worse.

So I am going to put together an email to send to them. I will pass it by you all before I send it, but I think it would be a good idea to encourage as many people as possible to send the same or similar email making the strength of feeling from the Diabetic world felt.

I belong to a FB group and on other forum, so I will publish in those places. It would be good if everyone could pass it on to other online groups.

How frustrating for you @Pattidevans

No wonder you were cross - especially since your phone meets the published criteria :(

Yes it does, although I’ve never switched that on (as I use both apps) so don’t know how well. What is there to lose?

@Pattidevans, you can uninstall the app from your phone and then install and use one of the previous versions.

2.8.2 was the November update

2.8.1 was the October update

2.5.3 was the March update

Use the one that last worked properly for you.

https://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.freestylelibre.app.gb/

The apps are at the bottom of the page
Thanks @BennyG it is very helpful to know about this archive of previous versions of Librelink.

Presumably Abbott are completely unaware that this archive of their Librelink software from a third party source exists. None of their customer services staff have mentioned it when I've asked for technical support.

Also, presumably if someone does "roll back" the current version of Librelink to a version "before the Abbott uodates" they will lose the ability of their Novopen 6 and Novopen Echo Plus smart insulin pens to communicate with Librelink.

@Pattidevans, you can uninstall the app from your phone and then install and use one of the previous versions.

2.8.2 was the November update

2.8.1 was the October update

2.5.3 was the March update

Use the one that last worked properly for you.

https://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.freestylelibre.app.gb/

The apps are at the bottom of the page
Thank you for that BennyG, I will do that! It would be useful if Abbott customer services would give out this info, but they probably won't. The worry is, of course, that they will foist another faulty "upgrade" on us without our knowledge, but at least we can book mark that page just in case.
Also, presumably if someone does "roll back" the current version of Librelink to a version "before the Abbott uodates" they will lose the ability of their Novopen 6 and Novopen Echo Plus smart insulin pens to communicate with Librelink.
Yes, if that's what you are using, but many of us aren't using those pens. I am on a pump as are many other people, so do not need that ability. How do we know those using those pens are able to use the update either since their phones might not be up to it? Useless having the facility if the hardware that worked previously no longer does.

Notwithstanding I still do not think Abbott is being the least bit responsible in this issue. If anyone wanted to write to the CEO it is Neil Harris at Abbott House, Vanwall Business Park, Vanwall Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 4XE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back