General Election - campaign for diabetes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've emailed my Lib Dem and Conservative candidates but have heard nothing back yet - they must be busy or something !

found out today there is a green party member here ...but heard nothing from any candidates yet

This is the reply i got from our labour candidate.
He didn't put his name to it just an email addy, probably sent by his secretary

Anita,
I checked out the Diabetes website. I am happy to support the Diabetes UK campaigns such as the silent assassin and living with diabetes.

Have yet to hear from liberral & concervative candidates.

Last edited:
Just had this reply from Conservative party

Dear Anita

Thank you for your email.

Having discussed your concerns with Andrew Turner, he has asked me to give the following response regarding the Conservative Party's position on the points you have raised.

The NHS is our number one priority. We will increase funding for the NHS each year, in real terms, in the next Parliament. We have made this decision in order to meet the rising demands on the NHS, while at the same time maintaining our objective of achieving results for patients that are at least as good as any in the world. These demands on the NHS include an increasing and ageing population, public health threats and complex new treatments. This does mean that we cannot make spending promises which add to costs or which would prevent the NHS from using the resources it will receive in the most effective way possible, in the light of the best available clinical evidence.

While we have committed to real terms increases in health spending, I believe that we can get better bang for our buck with regards to services for long term conditions such as diabetes. We have to make sure that every pound spent gives us a pound of care. Therefore individual health budgets will help make sure money is spent on what patients want and need.

And to make sure diabetes patients, especially children, get the best possible care, we will make sure that all the relevant organisations work together. Too many times you hear that the local NHS, local authorities and schools are not working together and this means that some children slip through the cracks. Joined up working is key to improving the quality of life for children with long-term conditions like diabetes.

Whilst providing better and more consistent care for people will diabetes we will also tackle the rise of type 2 diabetes. We will build new partnerships with local authorities and the business community to help deliver major preventative public health objectives, including reducing the causes of diseases such as diabetes and promoting healthy lifestyles. - We have made it clear that public health is a priority for a Conservative Government we will provide separate public health funding to local authorities and weight public health funding so that extra resources go to the poorest areas.
The Conservative Party believes passionately in equality. During the passage of the Equality Bill, Conservative spokesman, Mark Harper, persuaded the Government to include provisions which will restrict employers from asking disability/health related questions of job applicants before the offer of a job is made. This will make it much more difficult for employers to discriminate against people with a mental health condition in the recruitment phase, and will help break down one of the barriers which prevents people with a mental health condition from moving into work.

Research will also be a key part in our drive to improve prevention and produce better outcomes for people with Diabetes.

Overall, our reforms will mean that a Conservative Government will deliver a radical improvement in the services and care given to those who suffer from diabetes.

I do hope this deals with your concerns and thank you once again for getting in touch.
Kind regards
Karen Holmes

on behalf of Andrew Turner
seeking re-election as the Island?s MP

Thumbs up for the lib dems! :D

Got a letter today from Chris Huhne, who is a lib dem candidate and also the Eastleigh MP where i live.

Dear miss smith,

Thank you for your email regarding the Diabetes Manifesto. i will respond in full shortly.
with best wishes, Yours sincerely, Chris huhne, with a signature.

Will let you know when i get the full letter. if i dont get another letter i will track him down as i am friends with him on facebook! lol 😛

Just bumping this up! How have your candidates done so far? I get the impression that the two main parties are less inclined to reply. We've had a few responses from the Greens. I had one from John Spottiswoode (Green), and a promise of a reply from John Denham (labour), but have heard nothing at all from the Tory candidate.

If you haven't emailed your candidates yet, do it now!🙂

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_invo...t-campaigns/Parliamentary-candidate-campaign/

I sent mine off but ive had no reply yet

Hi Sweetsatin,

Can't say I'm impressed with your candidate's reply - no actual commitment, just generalisations about how working together is apparently going to solve everything. Mentioned research, but nothing about any financial commitment to it! Didn't metnion the DUK manifesto?

I haven't had a response from conservatives yet, just labour and lib-dem.

recieved reply from labour party candidate .....

'Thank you for getting in touch with me in relation to the Diabetes UK manifesto. I am glad that you have drawn this to my attention, I confess that the challenges and impact of diabetes has not been something about which I have been particularly well informed and would be glad of the opportunity to deepen and broaden my understanding.

I think that the Improving Lives manifesto offers a number of very interesting proposals and I am particularly interested in what we can do to diagnose early, support children and to support self care generally within a robust medical framework. If elected I will be pleased to convene a meeting of people affected by diabetes in the constituency to listen to views and gain a deeper understanding based on personal experiences, of what more government locally and nationally should be doing to address the needs of diabetes patients.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Miles
Labour Parliamentary Candidate, Beaconsfield
miles4beaconsfield.com

only reply i have had ...but my postal vote has gone already

Nothing else from the rest of the polaticians
Afraid i won't be voting for any main party at the moment,... but i will vote.

My husband is our Welsh Conservative candidate. Because he has a good knowledge of how Diabetes affects people he has made it a priority of his to support us. He wants to raise awareness of it, get more funding, and support our care teams. Bless him!

I emailled my Lid Dem and Labour candidates AGES ago and not heard a peep. Must say I'm a little disappointed!

recieved reply from labour party candidate .....

'Thank you for getting in touch with me in relation to the Diabetes UK manifesto. I am glad that you have drawn this to my attention, I confess that the challenges and impact of diabetes has not been something about which I have been particularly well informed and would be glad of the opportunity to deepen and broaden my understanding.

I think that the Improving Lives manifesto offers a number of very interesting proposals and I am particularly interested in what we can do to diagnose early, support children and to support self care generally within a robust medical framework. If elected I will be pleased to convene a meeting of people affected by diabetes in the constituency to listen to views and gain a deeper understanding based on personal experiences, of what more government locally and nationally should be doing to address the needs of diabetes patients.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Miles
Labour Parliamentary Candidate, Beaconsfield
miles4beaconsfield.com

only reply i have had ...but my postal vote has gone already

Blimey, a staight-forward, considered, honest reply!

Nothing else from the rest of the polaticians
Afraid i won't be voting for any main party at the moment,... but i will vote.

That's the most important thing Sweetsatin! 🙂

My husband is our Welsh Conservative candidate. Because he has a good knowledge of how Diabetes affects people he has made it a priority of his to support us. He wants to raise awareness of it, get more funding, and support our care teams. Bless him!

Well Lauren, I have to say I wouldn't vote for him in a million years because of the rest of his party's policies, but good on him for the support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back