General Election - campaign for diabetes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm the Digital Communties Executive here at Diabetes UK, and was responsible for setting up our latest e-campaign. It's wonderful to see that so many people have taken part, and to read some of the positive responses that have been received. Thank you all for helping! It's been our most successful e-campaign to date which is really encouraging.

We'd love to have a record of any responses you receive from your parliamentary candidates. If you're happy to, you can email them to campaigns@diabetes.org.uk - it will really help us to have an overall picture of the success of the campaign.

Thank you all again for taking part. If you've got any questions or comments, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer!

Joe

Joe Freeman
Digital Communities Executive
Diabetes UK

Hey Joe when this election has calmed down a bit could you give us some advice on our Diet Drinks Awareness campaign DiDkA ?
http://www.didka.co.uk/
cheers
Am on behalf of DiDkA \~/ 🙂

Got a reply from my Green Party candidate very quickly - another plus for the Greens!

Dear Alan,

I am very happy to support the fight against diabetes below and to join the All Party Parliamentary group on Diabetes (surely not ?for??). Health is a special interest of mine, and I am a Steering Group member on Southampton LINk. In particular I am especially interested in the role of nutrition in conditions such as this, as this is clearly a central factor.

Best wishes,

John Spottiswoode

Might press him about the distinctions as nutrition is not implicated in Type 1

Got a reply from my Green Party candidate very quickly - another plus for the Greens!

should do and send him link to loubie fb xx

I have emailled my local Labour and Lib Dem candidate, the only 2 that came up. Will wait to see what they have to say... Wish we had a Green Party rep in our constituency!

Hi there, sure can. I've noticed it on Twitter, and retweeted your message a while ago I think. I'll see what we can do for you. How is it going?

ha we had wondered who you were !
well becky (sacred heart) and I are having a little break from it at mo following the big dipper weekend but are getting back on the case at the big combined circle D 2yr birthday bash and a DSF meet. I did approach duk a few weeks back through 'sheena patel' and after a bit of too-ing and froo-ing i spoke to someone in campaigns who advised that DuK had no resources to be able to help ....what we are hoping for is advice and a bit of guidance ...a bit of time really not money as such ...thank you 🙂

Last edited:
just checked no green party in my area only...con ...lab...lib dem...UKIP ...the winner last time had a 31% majority ...i doubt i'll get any replies !

Hi Northerner, yes, there seems to be a need for more education about how diabetes is aquired - the response I received below echoes yours. I guess there has been such a focus (quite rightly) on T2, issues around the others are less well known.

I have been wandering about this campaign and we have been E-Mailing our candidates but with the first of the big debates with the three Leaders of the main Party's is on ITV tonight.Here is part of a E-Mail I received this morning would asking a question as regards this Be a bit much.Their e-mail for questions is below. anyone Ideas sorry if this post is a bit long.

Tonight on ITV, Nick Clegg, Gordon Brown and David Cameron will be going head to head in a TV debate. This is the first of three debates that will be taking place in the run up to the General Election on May 6th.

These are the first of this kind of televised Party Leader debates in the UK. The first debate comes from Manchester, will chaired by Alistair Stewart and the first speaker will be Nick Clegg. Each leader gets a one-minute opening statement and a 90-second closing one.

The first half of the 90 minute Election Debate will be devoted to domestic affairs, with the rest on any topic. ITV are inviting questions before the debate, with more information on their special debate website at http://www.itv.com/electiondebate/

If you have a question for the first half of the debate on issues such as the NHS, Education, Immigration, Law and Order, the Family, the Constitution, Trust in Politics or Political Reform you can email them to debate@itv.com. You can also send a question for the second half of the debate on other election issues.

ooooh donald could we think up a really good question ....i would like to know what there thoughts on the obvious varying levels of care we all recieve ( postcode health service) and how they see that Diabetic care could be standardised as nice guidelines seem to have varying interpretations ???

ooooh Donald could we think up a really good question ....i would like to know what there thoughts on the obvious varying levels of care we all receive ( postcode health service) and how they see that Diabetic care could be standardized as nice guidelines seem to have varying interpretations ???

Hi AM I'm thinking along the same lines but could not phrase it right.I could try it and see if it is read out but i.am sure they will be swamped with questions but it is worth a try

Hi Donald, there might be some useful phrases on the DUK site you culd use. You could ask directly something like: "There are over 2.2 million people with diabetes in the UK whose treatment and access to the expert support and equipment they need depends very much on where they live. How will you ensure they get fair and equal access, no matter where they live?" Although, it is perhaps best to put it in your own words. I expect there will will be many people with other conditions, such as cancer, asking the same question!

PS - Am's other bit about the NICE guidelines is good too.

Last edited:
right am and runner just E-Mail question to them lets see what happens tonight.If anyone would like to send one send it to debate@itv.com

Thanks am hope you do not mind I sent I used your question as it is better phreased then the way I was goning to put.Right lets if it is picked

I would like to know what there thoughts on the obvious varying levels of care we all receive ( postcode health service) and how they see that Diabetic care could be standardized as nice guidelines seem to have varying interpretations ??? .
a friend of ask me this question and agree with it also wish to know their thoughts on this, I would also like to ask all Three as regards the attached information from Diabetes uk.

Last edited:
right am and runner just E-Mail question to them lets see what happens tonight.If anyone would like to send one send it to debate@itv.com

Thanks am hope you do not mind I sent I used your question as it is better phreased then the way I was goning to put.Right lets if it is picked

I would like to know what there thoughts on the obvious varying levels of care we all receive ( postcode health service) and how they see that Diabetic care could be standardized as nice guidelines seem to have varying interpretations ??? .
a friend of ask me this question and agree with it also wish to know their thoughts on this, I would also like to ask all Three as regards the attached information from Diabetes uk.

good one donald i ve been busy this afternoon so thanks for sending it
i will do a similar one myself !

all sent

i am a member of the diabetes support forum supported by DUK and from discussions on our threads it is obvious that diabetic care varys across the country i would like to ask the party leaders on how they see that Diabetic care could be standardised as the NICE guidelines seem to have varying interpretations ???
with regards

if people want to lift this and send themselves maybe one might get through !
debate@itv.com

Hi all,

I saw the 'debate' if you can call it that. It appears only the very general, overall questions about health look like being considered....

They did not touch on health until 9:42 and only about three questions.

Hello,

Watched this last night too. Didn't look like they took any email questions at all :(

NiVZ

No they did not in the 90 minutes there only a Few select questions and very stage managed. Alastair Stewart did well to stop it turning in to the Cameron and brown show

I got a reply from my local mp saying he'd write to the pct with the comments I'd raised (mainly around pumps!) and would write back to me when he got a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back