Freestyle Libre - Sensor failure rate of 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bristol area - South Glos.
There was a web site i read somewhere (didn't bookmark it) which explained how to inform your GP that the Fresstyle Libre should be available with NO COST TO GP it seems for type 2 but certain criteria .. some that i remember....
  • On Insulin
  • Injecing more than 3 times a day (I was injecting up to 6 times with various Bolus of Rapid insulin)
  • Excessive Finger Prick Testing (I was up to 7-10 times a day)
Following a DKA and my Sugars/HBA1C going all over the place it seemed sensible to move to the CGM from finger prick tests

See https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/nice-guidelines-recommend-wider-use-for-flash-and-cgm

Hope that helps
Actually it does cost GP practice budget, all primary care costs are allocated against that including attending A&E. However it may not be a net increase in cost ("cost neutral") compared to the number of strips they may otherwise be prescribing in those situations where NICE recommends that it is provided, and in the long run may effectively provide a saving by providing better control, and therefore reducing complications and their associated costs.

Has anyone else kept a track of the failure rate of the sensor?

I have just started with the system. A 'trial' where I was issued a reader and one sensor, at the hospital but by a company rep. Clearly not a trial in the true sense of the word. More a marketing ploy to create demand. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I am now self-funding the sensors until my CCG (Cambridgeshire) approve the use.

The system is a step change in how I manage my diabetes and I find it extremely useful. However, I now have my 5th sensor on and, after 4 days, it looks like it is failing. I keep getting the error message that glucose readings are not available, try again in a few minutes.

This will be the 2nd of 5 sensors to fail, a rate of 40%. Tomorrow I ring Abbot up to see what they have to say. Anyone else had a similar experience or am I just the unlucky one to get the Friday afternoon sensors?
I have only been using the Libre sensor for a month but I have had so many issues. It is so unreliable. I have positioned and applied all sensors correctly. One fell off after a bath. One failed after getting message saying I had to wait 10 minutes for a Glucose reading. One failed due to the app not being compatible with my Samsung mobile and I had to clear caches. The longest a sensor has lasted it 6 days. I using it correctly and have followed all instructions to the letter. When it works it is great but I have to carry around my test stripts for when it stops giving readings. Rather pointless. Frustrating but I hope that these issues can be resolved. Any ideas folks?

I've had about an 80% failure rate lately, pretty much every one fails before reaching 14 days, usually around the 9 to 10 days it just started giving very low reading and eventually dies, im getting really sick of having to ask for replacements, it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong every time and asking for free replacements (we pay for them in New Zealand)
I used to use them years ago and never ever had any failures ever, then something changed and their failure rate went through the roof (seemed to be around the time they changed the software on the sensors to not work past 14 days when we used to be able to get 20+ days when using a phone app back in the day)
I've pretty much gone back to finger pricks 99% of the time as they are totally unreliable and not worth the cost for the last few years and just get one or two when I'm really needing some sort of reading when im out and about

I have had them fall off and occasionally knocked off when I wobbled into a door frame, Abbots always replace them. My last two sensors have lasted for 16 and 17 days.

I've had about an 80% failure rate lately, pretty much every one fails before reaching 14 days, usually around the 9 to 10 days it just started giving very low reading and eventually dies, im getting really sick of having to ask for replacements, it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong every time and asking for free replacements (we pay for them in New Zealand)
I used to use them years ago and never ever had any failures ever, then something changed and their failure rate went through the roof (seemed to be around the time they changed the software on the sensors to not work past 14 days when we used to be able to get 20+ days when using a phone app back in the day)
I've pretty much gone back to finger pricks 99% of the time as they are totally unreliable and not worth the cost for the last few years and just get one or two when I'm really needing some sort of reading when im out and about
Hello @HamishR,
You've posted this in what is already a very long thread, which is good because it provides a fair record of Libre Users having unreliable sensors, but the number of responses (you were #223) makes it a bit awkward to glean the full picture.

I've only used Libre 2 and that started in Feb 2021. My failure rate was over 50%, none from falling off and all either stopping early or giving wholly unreliable readings. I've found Abbott to be wholly reasonable about replacing them, but like yourself I was very frustrated by the hassle of asking along with the inconvenience of the frequency and the stress of never being sure if my sensor was OK.

There does seem to be a lot of people struggling with Libre 2 unreliability, yet a far greater number who don't have that unreliability. Last year, at post #208, I commented:
"I've reluctantly accepted that my (still) 50% failure rate is me! My body and Libre 2 don't seem to like each other. My current Libre started almost 3 points above actual, dropped a bit then yesterday was 2 points low and now seems close. All comparisons in steady state, ie horizontal arrows. I use and broadly trust the trend arrows but finger prick before main meals and any corrections.
I work with unreliable Libres and 'work' is an appropriate bit of vocabulary, constantly having to mentally adjust and check what is going on in relation to what I was anticipating. But I work with them because the faff of constantly replacing and waiting for replacements makes it necessary that I do tolerate and work with them."

This is still the case. When a sensor stops early I have to replace it, and if they become completely erratic I then give in and replace - but otherwise I tolerate them. Just having CGM is still (for me) a lot more helpful from trend arrows and alerts (alarms) than just finger pricking. I deduce that you have been T1 for a long time and feel more comfortable about depending on finger pricking than myself - my D, with no pancreas, is pretty brittle. I can plummet from 8s to low 4s extremely quickly (also spike very quickly but that is less of a concern for me) and after spending a lot of my 1st year (before Libre) in hypo territory or on the rollercoaster of low to high and back again Libre has helped me - despite the frequent failures. I am retired, so can adjust my lifestyle to cope with this, although I am pretty resentful about having to do so.

There are alternatives. In spring 2022 NICE updated the Guidance, NG 19, for T1s using CGM. This included widening the availability of CGM for all T1s; which creates an increased short term cost for the prescribing authorities. NICE also increased the range of CGMs that could be prescribed from Libre 2 to include 3 other CGM providers; this is no-cost or low cost for the NHS.

Unfortunately these no-cost alternatives are, for my regional Integrated Care System (ICS), bogged down in the bureaucracy of the extra cost for more CGM for all T1s; so my ICS has still not approved the alternatives. My Consultant has recommended the change for me from Libre 2 to Dexcom One, but my GP is unable to write that prescription, since Dexcom One is not listed in our Regional medications Formulary, even though it is within the NHS generic listing! I live in Bucks, which is now part of the Regional Bucks, Oxford and Berkshire West (BOB ICS).

In a different thread about mobile phone compatibility in Jan this year, link here hopefully:

@BadaBing drew attention to the MHRA yellow card notification sysyem, whereby we Users can (and should) notify the MHRA about Libre 2 failures - as a normal and reasonable duty of care for a medication that is not working properly. This was in response to my comment that there seems to be no way of informing the NHS Contract Manager who is procuring this medical product; we Users tell the supplier (Abbott) direct that there is a problem and Abbott generally always replace but are not noticeably doing anything about the problem. They just absorb the cost penalty, presumably there is ample profit for them to do that!

In the final analysis:
There are real problems with Libre 2 for some Users.
There are alternative no-cost options, but bureaucracy is currently obstructing this for me.
The MHRA yellow card system for reporting these problems is an option.

I have had a lot of sensors where the sticky ring stays on the skin but the sensor falls off.
So it's a fault with the adhesive that attaches to the actual sensor body

Has anyone else kept a track of the failure rate of the sensor?

I have just started with the system. A 'trial' where I was issued a reader and one sensor, at the hospital but by a company rep. Clearly not a trial in the true sense of the word. More a marketing ploy to create demand. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I am now self-funding the sensors until my CCG (Cambridgeshire) approve the use.

The system is a step change in how I manage my diabetes and I find it extremely useful. However, I now have my 5th sensor on and, after 4 days, it looks like it is failing. I keep getting the error message that glucose readings are not available, try again in a few minutes.

This will be the 2nd of 5 sensors to fail, a rate of 40%. Tomorrow I ring Abbot up to see what they have to say. Anyone else had a similar experience or am I just the unlucky one to get the Friday afternoon sensors?
I have had some problems with my Libre 2 Sensors also.I am on NHS supplied luckily. Been on Libre 2 for 6 months which equals 12 sensors. 2 of those have proved faulty, Replaced by with no prblems by Abbot.

I dont think they have any Quaity Control.

I'm still using the libre 1 model in New Zealand as we're not worthy of being given the libre 2 down here for some reason, I just find it hard to believe it's not a quality control or cheapening of the product, when I used many of them all those years ago when they first came out (I imported from Australia back then) and never had one single failure until they changed something to stop them working past 14 days (they started to go into an automatic loop mode and gave the same few readings again and again after 14 days+x hours on my phone, they also never warned anyone they did that so at the time I didn't know it was looping the last few hours readings!) that's exactly when my failure rate went through the roof, it's like they put new software on the sensors that cared more about stopping them working past 14 days than keeping them working to 14 days. They don't get knocked, submerged under water (just a shower, I don't go swimming with a sensor on), they get extra tape attached to them so they don't bumped off as well, I'm a desk/office worker so the sensors don't get stressed with massive exercise either. They are just an unreliable product now, especially when we pay $100nz dollars per sensor of our own money to use them here.
Sounds like the Libre2 model is just as bad as the 1 model for UK users too

Isn't it interesting that the original Libre on the US market were given a shorter life of 10 days I think and then it was extended to 14 days for the market here but elsewhere in the world the lifespan was increased further.

I am on the last day of my last Libre 1. :( It has been a very reliable product for me and I am concerned about the changeover to Libre 2 because it does seem that there have been more issues with it judging by the posts on this forum but I believe most of them have been software issues/phone compatibility after updates etc, so whilst anxious, I am hopeful that using the reader will negate a lot of those potential issues. Keeping fingers crossed I am not adding to the negative comments on this thread next week! 🙄

I keep a spreadsheet of all the sensors i've had, if they've lasted the distance, if they errored out, what the codes were, if they didn't error, what the accuracy was, the lot number, the serial, expiry date, date applied, whether on script or replacement from Abbot, and exactly where the sensor was applied.

I normally use the Reader as my primary scan source (I forgot to scan my latest sensor first a few days ago 😱) and I find the Reader much faster, simpler and far more forgiving. I use my phone to record data and a simpler way of relaying the readings and data to the web-based LibreView.

But, @rebrascora, this doesn't change my 50% failure rate. When a sensor dies early, it dies for both the Reader and my phone. Also, when the differential between actual and interstitial is too great to reasonably work with - again this applies to both Reader and phone; indeed, the 2 devices create effectively identical readings. So I'm not convinced that my c.50% failure rate is because of the phone and its software. I have gracefully accepted it is me! My body doesn't appreciate having Libbre attached - but I do! I suspect you will have few problems with Libre 2, since Libre 1 has been so good for you; and the alerts (alarms) should bring a new dimension to your ability to manage your BG - despite them being needlessly clumsy for this 2nd generation device.

I keep a spreadsheet of all the sensors i've had, if they've lasted the distance, if they errored out, what the codes were, if they didn't error, what the accuracy was, the lot number, the serial, expiry date, date applied, whether on script or replacement from Abbot, and exactly where the sensor was applied.
Someone after my own heart! I do the same but only record serial numbers, not lot numbers. But I do the rest and it’s interesting to see how the sensors behave. So far they’ve done quite well and only had a small percentage of failures.

I think many of us were told when we were first given the Libre and training for the product by our DSNs that "if the sensors don't work or don't last the full 14 days, then you must contact Abbott, explain what has happened, and Abbott will replace the sensors."

And Abbott have done so in the main.

Unfortunately Abbott dutifully replacing sensors and none of us thinking anymore about it, has led to a situation now where the number and frequency of failure rates on Libre 2 sensors are becoming more and more significant and noticeable.

If a sensor fails, even if I have a second sensor to hand to put on and can start it immediately, I still have to wait at least 60 minutes before the second sensor is useable. I may not always have blood tests strips to hand.

So a malfunctioning sensor will invariably delay me diagnosing and treating hypoglycaemia or hyperglycemia.

So I know I keep saying it, but I say again, if people are finding issues with the sensors failing too frequently, they ought to consider filing a Yellow Card incident online with the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency as well as notifying their GP and diabetes clinicians.

Someone after my own heart! I do the same but only record serial numbers, not lot numbers. But I do the rest and it’s interesting to see how the sensors behave. So far they’ve done quite well and only had a small percentage of failures.
currently have a failure rate of 5/12. By failure, I mean failed prematurely with an error code and had to be replaced. A couple of others that went on to work normally either started reading high (by high, I mean +4mmol) or low (more than 2mmol lower than fp 5 mins earlier) but became usable within 48hrs.

These are the columns. I was inaccurate in my previous note:
sensor started​
Supplier​
failure reason​
error number​
error code​
days before failure​
other errors​
lot number​
serial number​
date supplied​
expiry date on box​
the reason i capture lot number is to consider the possibility of "bad batch".

Last edited:
Isn't it interesting that the original Libre on the US market were given a shorter life of 10 days I think and then it was extended to 14 days for the market here but elsewhere in the world the lifespan was increased further.
Don't the Libre sensors (Libre 1 that was as well as Libre 2 and 3) contain a watch battery, that one would usually find in a watch that would power a watch for at least a year?

Don't the Libre sensors (Libre 1 that was as well as Libre 2 and 3) contain a watch battery, that one would usually find in a watch that would power a watch for at least a year?
I suspect the battery is much smaller than a typical watch battery. I can believe they're expected to last a month or two (you want a bit of slack) but I'd be surprised if they could last a year.

I would treat any statistics coming out of the manufacturer about failure rates with a healthy dose of cynicism. Statistics are readily malleable.
I mean the % failure rate from the spreadsheet @Eternal422 is keeping

So I know I keep saying it, but I say again, if people are finding issues with the sensors failing too frequently, they ought to consider filing a Yellow Card incident online with the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency as well as notifying their GP and diabetes clinicians.
Won't I be regarded as a PITA reporting it via Yellow Card? For me, the sensors are still "usable" within limits, it's just that sometimes they are insufficiently accurate with the actual number, which is something I can work around, and sometimes they fail, which is why I keep strips handy. The trends thing is great, and so are the alarms especially when used during physical exertion. I'm kinda queasy using Yellow Card in case they take it away.

also I'm unsure what "too frequently" means in context. 50%? 25%? what is expected, what are the thresholds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back