Freestyle Libre - Sensor failure rate of 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nor mine. Also had highish failure rate. I always give a 9 to the last question, how well was my problem managed, otherwise 4 out of 9 to things like 'how satisfied was I with the product' and for the following up 'say in your own words why .... ' I say poor reliability of an otherwise potentially great product.
I'm about to report my 20th or 21st sensor out of 25 or 26, it failed last Friday after giving the check again in 10 minutes message for 5 hours, it didn't give a reading at all as it had only been applied that day but I didn't report it then as I'd already reported one the previous day for the same issue and I'm fed up contacting them to be honest, levels were stable throughout so that wasn't the issue, I had 2 years relatively problem free on Libre 1 so it isn't user error lol, my scoring has decreased the more sensors I report :rofl: but yes the last always get a 9 xx

I'm about to report my 20th or 21st sensor out of 25 or 26, it failed last Friday after giving the check again in 10 minutes message for 5 hours, it didn't give a reading at all as it had only been applied that day but I didn't report it then as I'd already reported one the previous day for the same issue and I'm fed up contacting them to be honest, levels were stable throughout so that wasn't the issue, I had 2 years relatively problem free on Libre 1 so it isn't user error lol, my scoring has decreased the more sensors I report :rofl: but yes the last always get a 9 xx
Gosh that's horrendous failure rate that cant be just bad luck. Yes i am sure mine's not user error and wonder why so many people say they have no problems. Maybe its the Libre 2 that has more problems and they are using original Libre. Trust pilot reviews are dreadful so i know we are not the only ones.

wonder why so many people say they have no problems. Maybe its the Libre 2 that has more problems and they are using original Libre.
Nope. I have less problems with Libre 2 than I did with the original Libre.
I wish I could share my “secret” with those like you and @Kaylz who have so many problems.

i know of other people that have found them difficult to apply too it seems that some people find it really easy compared to other sensors some the other way round.
Rayray, I would say the Libre 3 are much easier to apply as they are much smaller so there is more room on your arm to get a good spot

I find this interesting. I started using Libre 2 last July and have had no problems until recently (last 2 weeks) when I had one fail after 4 days and the second immediately after the 1 hour set up time. Having said that, Abbott were extremely helpful when I phoned them and were able to carry out some sensor diagnosis from the information on my phone. In both cases it was a sensor problem and they replaced them straight away and sent me a pre-paid package to return the last one. Seems like a batch problem to me.

Hello everyone! I'm a new forum member and this is my first post. Very interesting thread here, which I found during a Google search on this topic to possibly explain why the Libre family of BG sensors no longer work for me. Although I reside on the other side of the pond, there are plenty of people here in the USA who use these products as well. This is the first user forum I've found for openly and honestly discussing this product, and I'm very happy to have found it. Thank you to all the people involved in this site's creation, continuation, and information!

I've been a type-2 diabetic for about 16 years now and began using the Freestyle Libre system late in 2019 -- the Libre 14-day was the only one available at that time. It was never very accurate -- when it worked at all -- but at least I could compare each new sensor with my more accurate One-Touch Verio test strip type BG meter for a good idea of what amount of offset I needed to add or subtract from the Libre's reading to have reasonable confidence in its accuracy. It was so nice to have the Libre system to keep tabs on my BG when I was away from home, by not having to sit down somewhere in public to do the cumbersome finger prick, test strip type, BG test.

For the first year of using the 14-day sensor setup, I would estimate that one out of four sensors had a problem that kept me from using it for the full 14 days. Some wouldn't work at all after the 1 hour warm-up period, others would keep giving me the "wait 10 minutes" message for hours, sometimes an entire day, before finally working. Still others would work for a number of days and then suddenly stop working and say "sensor failed" or "replace sensor."

None of these failures were due to improper adhesion... I learned early that no matter how well I cleaned my skin with alcohol, and made sure it was dry, I needed to use a single band of medical tape wrapped around most of my arm, to keep the sensor securely attached. So that wasn't the cause of the sensors failing. In fact, when a sensor was removed after an early failure OR it's full 14-days of service, it was still very well attached to the skin with a water-tight seal and an un-kinked sensor wick.

As far as accuracy of the 14-day sensors I used, about 30% were as accurate as my test strip meter, and the rest of them read 20 to 100 points higher. I only had a few that read lower than my test strip meter.

On the topic of test strips, even though the Libre reader has a slot for a test strip, and it may have had something to do with the calibration, none were available in America.

Also, I gave up calling Abbott customer service for replacement sensors because they made it so difficult to do. Normally there would be a long wait on hold before you got to talk to a person, and 90% of the time there was a communication barrier because they couldn't speak or understand English much at all. And all the information they requested for error codes and other diagnostic information -- would usually take close to an hour to provide. Abbott know that their sensors have a substantial failure rate... but they just don't care.

When the Libre II system became available where I live, I was happy to give it a try. It was nice that it had a low BG warning alarm to protect you from an insulin reaction during sleep. They needed to be recharged a couple times a week though -- instead of once a month like the 14-day reader -- but it was worth it for the alarm feature.

I was having about twice as many Libre II sensor failures and inaccurate readings as I had with the 14-day sensors. Gradually, it wouldn't work at all for me. My Dr. told me that another patient of hers had the same problem. I was able to get Abbott customer service to send me several replacement Libre II sensors and a new reader... but none of them worked for me. And I don't take vitamin C or any other supplements that could cause the system not to work. All that Abbott had to say about this is that their system may not work for everyone... but not WHY. I had my Dr. run a bunch of blood tests to see if there was a problem with my blood chemistry, but all was normal.

So, I went back to using the 14-day system and at least that worked SOME of the time. However, about two months ago, even the 14-day sensors would not work. The last four sensors all started the 60-minute initialization period okay, but after that... simply stated: Replace Sensor. My cost per sensor is $120 and I estimate I have wasted over $2,400 buying defective sensors in the past couple of years while Abbott is laughing all the way to the bank! They really do not care about the people who use their products. Thank goodness my test strip system is still reliable and accurate.

To all the people here who claim they have no or very few problems with the Freestyle Libre systems, let me say I am happy for you. For those here who have experienced more serious issues, I feel your pain. I hope what I've shared here is helpful for others. I sure do wish that Abbott would seriously investigate WHY their system fails to work with some people... especially people that it USED TO work for... WHY??? But, they answer only to their stock market shareholders, and maximum profits will always be their top priority.

Take care everyone...

Kent

Has anyone else kept a track of the failure rate of the sensor?

I have just started with the system. A 'trial' where I was issued a reader and one sensor, at the hospital but by a company rep. Clearly not a trial in the true sense of the word. More a marketing ploy to create demand. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I am now self-funding the sensors until my CCG (Cambridgeshire) approve the use.

The system is a step change in how I manage my diabetes and I find it extremely useful. However, I now have my 5th sensor on and, after 4 days, it looks like it is failing. I keep getting the error message that glucose readings are not available, try again in a few minutes.

This will be the 2nd of 5 sensors to fail, a rate of 40%. Tomorrow I ring Abbot up to see what they have to say. Anyone else had a similar experience or am I just the unlucky one to get the Friday afternoon sensors?
I have had issues in the past, reading too high then suddenly dropping low for hours at a time. This happened with about 3 of my sensors in a row. I have had trouble with the cannot read try again later thing, this always happens after my iPhone has died and been on charge for some strange reason. The one I had most recently that failed, when I removed it I noticed the needle had a bend in it and that one was very uncomfortable when I inserted it.

Hi sorry if I am on wrong thread on freestyle libre 2 with pods today after 12 days started to get scan error so I changed the sensor scanned as new sensor all good wait the hour started to get blood warnings and so scan get scan error after an hour 10 to 15 attempts to scan still scan error no code 373 so I replace this sensor swapping arms wiping off the sticky plaster stuff do whole process again still scan error on new sensor. The. I call Abbott get offered 2 new sensors 5-7 days delivery then advised to delete app on iPhone start again then I have to rescan sensor and start again it recognises sensor as ok the. Scan and guess what scan error still so 3 sensors not from same batch serial number and pricking finger anyone had this or similar any ideas?

@Type1pumping
I have a suspicion that a lot of the problems may be related to the phone app rather than the sensors being faulty and I wonder if you can get hold of a reader and try that instead and see how you get on with that.

@Type1pumping
I have a suspicion that a lot of the problems may be related to the phone app rather than the sensors being faulty and I wonder if you can get hold of a reader and try that instead and see how you get on with that.
Sadly I think it won't make a difference between using a phone (android) or the reader. I'm temporarily without Diabox and true CGM. I'd started my current sensor with the reader, so I'm now predominantly using the reader, scanning 35-40 times daily to keep track of where my BG has got to (oh, how I miss my Diabox!) and this sensor, like my previous 2, started 2+ mmol/L higher than actual and now on day 9 is 2+ mmol/L below actual (both at steady state). The window where they broadly aligned was less than 6 hrs.

I'm still working with this sensor, but will probably dump it tomorrow; certainly will if the differential worsens. Last night and this evening I'm getting low alarms that are false, which is manageable (under duress!) but is still poor product delivery by Abbott. Meanwhile I've been scanning on my android phone 8 or 9 times daily and populating food and insulin data for LibreLink and there is extremely little difference between the phone and reader. I'm having to finger prick a lot, because I can't trust Libre enough.

One bonus is that scanning with the reader is extremely quick and forgiving, whereas scanning with the phone often fails because the NFC is not exactly aligned and needs a 2nd or 3rd repeat, then it takes a few seconds to provide an actual reading. 35-40 x daily phone scans could become really stressful. In most other respects the reader is clumsy and basic, in relation to the phone and the LibreLink app.

Thanks everyone - so I called Abbott not much use effectively they first blamed the sensors - so are sending me 3 replacements. So last night I thought ok I will fire up the freestyle libre 2 reader. this morning I took off the 1 day old sensor I could not get the phone to read setup a new one used the libre reader all ok. Then tried to use the i-phone scan error. I got called back by Abbott as we raised a complaint and I got talked through clearing down the cache in the APP. yesterday the support guy told me to delete the APP as I have connection to my local NHS - today I was told I should not do that 🙂 just clear down cache. So I now have a working solution without finger pricking for one sensor on my arm but no phone working despite delete APP, clean cache, power off i-phone.

I will keep trying but I feel I will need to get to the end of this sensor then try again with a new one - while waiting for the next call back from abbott.

The Libre 2 is a disaster zone for Abbott. For that reason I switched to Dexcom, which is both more accurate, and if occasionally it drifts from accuracy, you can recalibrate the sensor and that fixes it. No need to complain to the manufacturers. Their customer service is better too, at least on this side of the Atlantic!

Has anyone else kept a track of the failure rate of the sensor?

I have just started with the system. A 'trial' where I was issued a reader and one sensor, at the hospital but by a company rep. Clearly not a trial in the true sense of the word. More a marketing ploy to create demand. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I am now self-funding the sensors until my CCG (Cambridgeshire) approve the use.

The system is a step change in how I manage my diabetes and I find it extremely useful. However, I now have my 5th sensor on and, after 4 days, it looks like it is failing. I keep getting the error message that glucose readings are not available, try again in a few minutes.

This will be the 2nd of 5 sensors to fail, a rate of 40%. Tomorrow I ring Abbot up to see what they have to say. Anyone else had a similar experience or am I just the unlucky one to get the Friday afternoon sensors?
Hi Derrick, yes I have the same problem. It says sensor on working wait 10 minutes. Happens at least twice with each 2 week sensor. It is frustrating as it usually happens when I most need it. Not sure how to resolve this. J

Hi Derrick, yes I have the same problem. It says sensor on working wait 10 minutes. Happens at least twice with each 2 week sensor. It is frustrating as it usually happens when I most need it. Not sure how to resolve this. J
The “wait 10 minutes” message is not a sensor failure.
It is, usually, an indication your levels are changing too quickly for Libre to calculate.
There are some errors which start with this message when it is not resolved. But not all wait “10 minute“ messages are precursors to failure. They are correct, designed behaviour.

I have had many issues, however, Abbots are very pleasant and send replacements quickly even when I had knocked them off myself. I did have 1 that just wouldn’t stick and another that only lasted for a few days. Mostly I have been very pleased using them over the last 5 years althoughI can get the ,’try again in 10 minutes’ sign quite frequently.

I think your suspicion is correct. After several “wait 10 minutes” and keen to avoid sending them back, I physically reset my iPhone which cured the fproblem. It also speeded up the functions of the programme.

This year as soon as the warm weather arrived and I started swimming, the accuracy of my Libre2 was unacceptable. I could also find other uses for £100/month. So I reverted to finger prick testing. Happily I found that the experience gained with the Libre was helpful when relying on finger prick blood test. The downside might be that the average bg will be slightly above what i might have achieved using the Libre. I’ll know that when next an hba1c test is done.

I think your suspicion is correct. After several “wait 10 minutes” and keen to avoid sending them back, I physically reset my iPhone which cured the fproblem. It also speeded up the functions of the programme.

This year as soon as the warm weather arrived and I started swimming, the accuracy of my Libre2 was unacceptable. I could also find other uses for £100/month. So I reverted to finger prick testing. Happily I found that the experience gained with the Libre was helpful when relying on finger prick blood test. The downside might be that the average bg will be slightly above what i might have achieved using the Libre. I’ll know that when next an hba1c test is done.
As a Type 1 you should now automatically qualify to be offered Libre on prescription, so you should not need to self fund. Personally I intend to continue using the reader rather than a phone because I think the algorithm in the reader is less problematic. I don't think I have ever had the scan again in 10 mins message with the reader..... but then I am still using the original Libre sensors which will sadly be phased out at the end of this year. I am hanging on till the bitter end with them as they have been mostly very reliable for me.

Hi,

This doesn’t surprise me as recently 3 out of my last 4 sensors have been faulty, and it’s causing a lot of stress and anxiety when I’m getting told by my nurses to trust the libre.

Abbot have replaced the faulty sensors but this shouldn’t happen nearly as frequently, and no one should constantly be having to return sensors for replacements which then also don’t work.

It looks like mine all came from the same batch number which I suggested when I phoned Abbot, but I haven’t heard anything about faulty batches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back