Freestyle Libre - Sensor failure rate of 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 0.5 is fine but 2.0 isn't and also 'you can't rely on them' is a bit bonkers given that is exactly what people do. Interestingly the Libre did record me having 3 incidences of night time hypoglycemia. But now I just think those were probably errors in the sensor. Especially as Abbott note - I can't rely on it.

I'm also not 'just at risk' of diabetes. I'm at risk of diabetes.
Mine incorrectly records night time hypos if I sleep with my weight on it - ie on my left arm if that's where I've put the sensor. I've learned to turn over if that happens!
We can't rely on anything 100% - I always carry the blood testing gear just in case. My dad had it much worse - there was no blood testing until he'd been diabetic (type1) for about 15 years, and he had to p ay himslef for his first meter, which caused a big row at home as Mum wanted a new washing machine.....

I think 0.5 is fine but 2.0 isn't and also 'you can't rely on them' is a bit bonkers given that is exactly what people do. Interestingly the Libre did record me having 3 incidences of night time hypoglycemia. But now I just think those were probably errors in the sensor. Especially as Abbott note - I can't rely on it.

I'm also not 'just at risk' of diabetes. I'm at risk of diabetes.
Hypos during the night can be caused by lying on the sensor. It is referred to as a compression low. It is one of the reasons why you are advised to double check low readings with a finger prick.
I agree that reliability, with the Libre 2 particularly, has been a problem for some people but those of use whose lives depend upon the use of insulin and correct dosing still find them a huge advantage over finger pricking but there are times when that is still necessary.
In your situation, I think it may not be the best tool for the job as you are looking at smaller tolerances when you are just at risk of diabetes. So the difference in a rise of 2 and 3 mmols after a meal is significant whereas for a Type 1 like myself we are trying to keep my levels mostly between 3.9 and 10 but accept that they will spike up higher occasionally despite our best efforts, because timing and absorption of injected insulin is much different to the insulin your pancreas naturally produces. If I get the timing a bit wrong 30g of carbs can spike me up to 14 or 15 and then bring me back down. Obviously the Libre will show that quite clearly even it is actually reading 16 or 19. It tells me I injected my insulin too late and that is what I am interested in knowing, so I can adjust it better next time. It doesn't matter too much to me if that reading is 2 or 3 mmols out, it is still way too high, but if i need to inject insulin to correct it and it is too far out then I might inject too much insulin and end up hypo, which is why high and low readings should be double checked.

Here is a warning from Abbot. What this Warning appears to be saying is that it is pretty useless as an absolute measure of glucose values but might be useful as a relative measure. As far as I can see the Libre Pro is identical to the Libre2 but targeted at professional, clinical, use.

IMPORTANT: The device may inaccurately indicate hypoglycemia. The results of the clinical study conducted for this device showed that 40% of the time when the device indicated that user sensor glucose values were at or below 60 mg/dL, user glucose values were actually in the range of 81-160 mg/dL.
Therefore, interpretation of the FreeStyle Libre Pro Flash Glucose Monitoring System readings should only be based on the trends and patterns analyzed through time using the reports available per the intended use.

Mine incorrectly records night time hypos if I sleep with my weight on it - ie on my left arm if that's where I've put the sensor. I've learned to turn over if that happens!
This is not just a Libre problem. All CGMs experience compression lows.
Unfortunately, Abbott and Dexcom and others have not found a way around physics.
Have you tried placing the sensor somewhere you won't lie on it?

Can I ask a question.

Can the libre sensors still be used when past their best before date? Will they still work with the reader?
I assume that Abbott have tested their products beyond the suggested "best before" date, but can't guarantee that they will function correctly. I suspect that the real best before date could be extended, but they won't take that commercial risk. There won't be a cut-off date when they refuse to work, though.

I just received a marketing email from Abbott about the Libre. I see they have caveated their "Frees you up from finger pricks" and "Check your glucose any time anywhere" with a load of footnotes which I hadn't noticed previously (they may have been there in the past and I wasn't observant):

†Finger pricks are required if readings do not match symptoms or expectations
‡60-minute warm-up required when applying the sensor
₸Sensor is water resistant in up to 1 meter (3 feet) of water. Do not immerse longer than 30 minutes. Not to be used above 10,000 feet

I tried the Freestyle Libre 2 on a free trial. So one free sensor. I also purchased one. I use it for about 2 weeks a month to try and improve control and note spike foods for me as I'm pre-diabetic and have EPI (due to damage caused during cancer treatment). Creon which I take for the EPI can cause deregulation of glucose levels. Anyway - I've not purchased another Libre since the original two 5 months ago. They usually only last a week. They fall off. I've had error messages. They've failed within 24 hours. etc. I've had them fail within the hour. The one I have on now which is a replacement for the last one that fell off on the 8th day. Is recording my blood sugar on average around 7.2 where as my last one said my average was 5.9. With this one I checked my blood and it was routinely and regularly over 2 days 0.5 out. I rang Abbott and they said this was 'fine' as they accepted a difference between blood monitoring and the cgm of 2.0. I said this seemed rather a lot and seemed to make the product kind of useless. He said 'We do warn people not to rely on them.' Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Colour me flabbergasted.

For me the LibreFreestyle is life changing. But that’s not to say I haven’t had problems with the sensors. My third one didn’t work. I had to explain and give dates and ID numbers over the phone to a polish call centre. (Very helpful guy but still a bit of an accent communication problem. )

Three months further on and I have two more dud sensors. When I removed one, the black needle / thread was bent sideways - obviously hadn’t penetrated. I’ve been putting off ‘reporting’ it to get a refund because the first time was so stressful. I had another that stopped 3 days early - but I wore it in the bath so that could have been why. Now I buy waterproof covers.

At £50 a shot it’s not something to just write off.

Saying that - it’s still a brilliant piece of technology but from my personal experience the customer services could really use improvement.

I agree that it is sometimes difficult to understand what they are saying. I usually say "look I am a little bit deaf, could you speak slowly please" which helps. I am not deaf by the way... but it's better than insulting their English. I've always fund them most helpful despite the odd accents sometimes (the ccent's aren't bad all the time).

For me the LibreFreestyle is life changing. But that’s not to say I haven’t had problems with the sensors. My third one didn’t work. I had to explain and give dates and ID numbers over the phone to a polish call centre. (Very helpful guy but still a bit of an accent communication problem. )

Three months further on and I have two more dud sensors. When I removed one, the black needle / thread was bent sideways - obviously hadn’t penetrated. I’ve been putting off ‘reporting’ it to get a refund because the first time was so stressful. I had another that stopped 3 days early - but I wore it in the bath so that could have been why. Now I buy waterproof covers.

At £50 a shot it’s not something to just write off.

Saying that - it’s still a brilliant piece of technology but from my personal experience the customer services could really use improvement.
Not sure if you are aware Ann but there is now an online reporting system for faulty Libres which you may find easier to use. I haven't used it myself but @Lucyr and I think @Bruce Stephens have both reported finding it much easier than phoning. Hopefully one of them can provide a link for you.

The sensors are waterproof, but a good soak in a nice hot bath can cause the adhesive to warm up and if you were then to catch it with a sponge or towel or I use exfoliating gloves in the shower, it is easy to catch the edge and lift it off when the adhesive is warm, especially if you can't see it and forget which arm it is on. I now wear an elastic arm strap which has a 3D printed watch face which goes over the Libre and gives it extra protection but also acts as a visible reminder to me of which arm the sensor is on and to be extra careful particularly when washing and drying. I haven't lost a Libre since I started using this strap. It pings sometimes when I catch it on a bra strap but the strap takes the hit and the sensor is fine. For me it was a really worthwhile investment to protect my Libre.

Not sure if you are aware Ann but there is now an online reporting system for faulty Libres which you may find easier to use. I haven't used it myself but @Lucyr and I think @Bruce Stephens have both reported finding it much easier than phoning. Hopefully one of them can provide a link for you.

The sensors are waterproof, but a good soak in a nice hot bath can cause the adhesive to warm up and if you were then to catch it with a sponge or towel or I use exfoliating gloves in the shower, it is easy to catch the edge and lift it off when the adhesive is warm, especially if you can't see it and forget which arm it is on. I now wear an elastic arm strap which has a 3D printed watch face which goes over the Libre and gives it extra protection but also acts as a visible reminder to me of which arm the sensor is on and to be extra careful particularly when washing and drying. I haven't lost a Libre since I started using this strap. It pings sometimes when I catch it on a bra strap but the strap takes the hit and the sensor is fine. For me it was a really worthwhile investment to protect my Libre.

I tried a strap but it didn’t feel very secure. I’ve bought a pack of cheap transparent waterproof patches that feel a little better. I’ll still keep it out of water if possible though.

And I keep it on my right arm but move it to a slightly different place each time.

I tried a strap but it didn’t feel very secure. I’ve bought a pack of cheap transparent waterproof patches that feel a little better. I’ll still keep it out of water if possible though.

And I keep it on my right arm but move it to a slightly different place each time.
I find it important for me to change arms with each sensor. Not only does it give an arm a rest (and allow me to maintain my dexterity), it also means I can have one sensor "bedding in" on the last two days of my current sensor. For me, this makes the sensors more reliable from the start of activation.
That said, it takes me a day to stop scanning an "empty" arm.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I am sure Abbot will do the right thing for you. They have replaced 2 for me over last 3 years with no quibble. My experience has been that only one truly dropped off by itself probably due to swimming in sea a lot or hot weather. The other two I pinged off on doors or getting dressed. I recommend running a razor over the area before you put it on. Good luck and regards, Chris

Today I applied my third Libre 2 sensor since my diagnosis in December. The first sensor failed within eight hours of application, and the second, which I replaced today, began to consistently present inaccurately high readings (eg. readings were 10.6mmol/L, 12.8mmol/L, 13.5mmol/L, 13.7mmol/L and 14.0mmol/L on Libre 2, but were 6.0mmol/L, 5.8mmol/L, 5.8mmol/L, 5.5mmol/L and 6.2mmol/L respectively on my BG monitor) after day eleven.

I called Abbott earlier today to report the issue and request a replacement. The gentleman I spoke to told me that whilst he would agree to send me a replacement, the discrepancies listed in above weren't significant enough to justify a replacement, so if I called to report a similar issue in the future I shouldn't expect to receive one. I think this is a potentially very dangerous assertion. When I asked him how large the discrepancy between the sensor and my BG monitor would have to be to justify a replacement he told me that he didn't "have the numbers" in front of him, leaving me feeling a little fobbed off. I hope it's third time lucky - we'll see if this sensor lasts the full fourteen days without any major issues.

Has anyone else kept a track of the failure rate of the sensor?

I have just started with the system. A 'trial' where I was issued a reader and one sensor, at the hospital but by a company rep. Clearly not a trial in the true sense of the word. More a marketing ploy to create demand. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I am now self-funding the sensors until my CCG (Cambridgeshire) approve the use.

The system is a step change in how I manage my diabetes and I find it extremely useful. However, I now have my 5th sensor on and, after 4 days, it looks like it is failing. I keep getting the error message that glucose readings are not available, try again in a few minutes.

This will be the 2nd of 5 sensors to fail, a rate of 40%. Tomorrow I ring Abbot up to see what they have to say. Anyone else had a similar experience or am I just the unlucky one to get the Friday afternoon sensors?

I’ve started 7 so far. Three failed.

Has anyone else kept a track of the failure rate of the sensor?

I have just started with the system. A 'trial' where I was issued a reader and one sensor, at the hospital but by a company rep. Clearly not a trial in the true sense of the word. More a marketing ploy to create demand. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I am now self-funding the sensors until my CCG (Cambridgeshire) approve the use.

The system is a step change in how I manage my diabetes and I find it extremely useful. However, I now have my 5th sensor on and, after 4 days, it looks like it is failing. I keep getting the error message that glucose readings are not available, try again in a few minutes.

This will be the 2nd of 5 sensors to fail, a rate of 40%. Tomorrow I ring Abbot up to see what they have to say. Anyone else had a similar experience or am I just the unlucky one to get the Friday afternoon sensors?
Like Mike said, I have been using them since 2015 and have had very few failures, that said it seems that from the postings I have seen on here some people just dont get on with them, the message you are seeing is most likely there is a quick movement in your BG either up or down, dont sweat it and stress yourself, a finger prick would be a good way to go if your worried and give the Libre another go in half an hour.
Calculating an average from 2 sensors is not going to give you real reflection I have used roughly 170 and my failure rate comes out about 0.11 from the 20 I have had an issue with, also I have used Libre 1, Libre 2 and now I'm using Libre 3 so I have good experience from them all.
best of luck getting to grips with them and dont give up too soon

Glad I wasn't the only one. I'm on a break at the moment.

Today I applied my third Libre 2 sensor since my diagnosis in December. The first sensor failed within eight hours of application, and the second, which I replaced today, began to consistently present inaccurately high readings (eg. readings were 10.6mmol/L, 12.8mmol/L, 13.5mmol/L, 13.7mmol/L and 14.0mmol/L on Libre 2, but were 6.0mmol/L, 5.8mmol/L, 5.8mmol/L, 5.5mmol/L and 6.2mmol/L respectively on my BG monitor) after day eleven.

I called Abbott earlier today to report the issue and request a replacement. The gentleman I spoke to told me that whilst he would agree to send me a replacement, the discrepancies listed in above weren't significant enough to justify a replacement, so if I called to report a similar issue in the future I shouldn't expect to receive one. I think this is a potentially very dangerous assertion. When I asked him how large the discrepancy between the sensor and my BG monitor would have to be to justify a replacement he told me that he didn't "have the numbers" in front of him, leaving me feeling a little fobbed off. I hope it's third time lucky - we'll see if this sensor lasts the full fourteen days without any major issues.

When it works - the Libre Freestyle is absolutely brilliant - I’d even say ‘life-changing’. When it doesn’t - it’s totally demoralising - well it is for me anyway. LibreFreestyle customer services could certainly use some ‘streamlining’ People with conditions like diabetes often feel particularly vulnerable and need to trust the agencies they rely on to survive.

There is global competition from different corporations to become ‘market leaders’ of this type of device. If there is one company prepared to prioritise ‘customer services’ for me at least? I’d be their biggest fan.

To me, Abbott have very good customer services and I am not generally comfortable talking on the phone, but operators have always been reasonably good at making themselves understood and understanding me even when English has not appeared to be their first language.
As has been pointed out @AnnSebastian, there is an online option for reporting faulty sensors if you are having difficulty with the telephone service for whatever reason.

Whilst I am finding the original model pretty reliable, I do understand that some people seem to be having problems with the Libre 2, so I can accept that Abbott need to up their game on improving the product's reliability but I think most people here on the forum find their customer services and replacement policy very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back