Freestyle libre mobile phone compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisf1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone could some tell me where to get or please supply me with a list of compatible phones for the freestyle libre, I bought a new Samsung A 13 phone about 4 months ago and it worked fine but just before Xmas it needed to update and then no go for it, I got in touch with Abbott and they told me my phone was no longer compatible. I have looked at a list and all the Samsung phones were older than mine, I really would like to stick with samsung if possible but do not want to go and buy an older phone because of there rapid depreciation anyway and also not very happy with Abbott for doing this to me out of the blue

I can't help with phones but you need to get onto Abbott and ask for a reader if your phone is no longer compatible. I know it isn't an ideal solution for everyone, but personally I prefer the reader as it is smaller than a phone and easier to scan and doesn't have any of the problems with updates that phones do, so generally much more reliable, but yes it is another bit of kit to carry around.

My problem with that is my log keeping which I find so much easier and complete on the phone, I actually have a reader but dislike it for this reason

Presently use Samsung A32 & have no issues, think one before was A11 or A12 which worked fine.

In your position I'd uninstall libre app then download it again to see if that fixes things, mind you will lose previous data on Libre Link so be warned.

I have been in touch with Abbott and they have told me that since the update it will no longer be compatible and even worse they do not think it ever will be again, I notice they have not advertised that in the same way they advertise the product they did say they would make up for it by sending me a reader

I have been in touch with Abbott and they have told me that since the update it will no longer be compatible and even worse they do not think it ever will be again, I notice they have not advertised that in the same way they advertise the product they did say they would make up for it by sending me a reader

As last resort try doing as said earlier, nothing to lose my friend.

You could still log information on your phone but rely on the reader for alarms. Remember to start the sensor with your reader first (to get alarms) and then with your phone second (for logging info). That’s what I do. 🙂

You could still log information on your phone but rely on the reader for alarms. Remember to start the sensor with your reader first (to get alarms) and then with your phone second (for logging info). That’s what I do. 🙂
But, if the phone is no longer accepting Libre scans as a result of the update, then logging data will become a less efficent process.

Each time you want to log data on LibreLink you will have to go into the logbook, add a note (without the benefit of a scan reading), complete the data entry and step back. There will be series of data entries, but no graph. You must also download the Reader scans by connecting to a PC for LibreView - which should marry up the Reader scans and LibreLink data inputs, provided both the Reader and phone are registered with LibreView. Hopefully.

Regardless of how I can possibly use it with loss of many advantages it is a very poor show from Abbott as this phone worked fine with freestyle until they updated and there attitude towards what they have done is tough luck !!! I find this appalling from a company of their size and wealth if I had the option to use a different make I definitely would !!!! I am looking for a new phone now and this one is less than 6 months old and are they likely to do it again ? maybe they are involved with a samsung competitor

Regardless of how I can possibly use it with loss of many advantages it is a very poor show from Abbott as this phone worked fine with freestyle until they updated and there attitude towards what they have done is tough luck !!! I find this appalling from a company of their size and wealth if I had the option to use a different make I definitely would !!!! I am looking for a new phone now and this one is less than 6 months old and are they likely to do it again ? maybe they are involved with a samsung competitor
Yes, I have huge sympathy with your predicament. Alas, I think there is a much deeper underlying problem.

We, the users, have virtually nowhere to take any concerns over the performance of Libre (or any other CGM probably) other than back to the provider, in this case Abbott. There is no obvious point of contact in the NHS, let alone the contact details for the person managing the contract between the NHS and Abbott. We could, potentially, raise a yellow card against the failure of a specific sensor; but against defective software after an upgrade (?) ..... I suspect not.

After that our options are to wrestle with bureaucracy, I fear. Report the problem, wherever you can; your GP who is prescribing, your Consultant , the PALS for your Integrated Care Board (ICB), your MP, your local Press or national media. Basically anyone who will listen - or give in and accept the outcomes. There are 3 other CGMs that could be prescribed- if your regional Integrated Care System (ICS) has approved them; the new Bucks, Oxford and Berkshire West (BOB) has not yet approved the no-cost alternatives.

It's all very frustrating.

But, if the phone is no longer accepting Libre scans as a result of the update, then logging data will become a less efficent process.
I can still scan with my phone, and get a glucose reading, but the alarms no longer work. 🙂 I hope that’s the case with your phone @Chrisf1. 🙂 You’re right - Abbott’s attitude is rubbish.

We, the users, have virtually nowhere to take any concerns over the performance of Libre (or any other CGM probably) other than back to the provider, in this case Abbott.
With all due respect, this is not correct. If a patient has concerns about whether a medical device (including any computer software which is a component part of the medical device) works or is safe, in addition to notifying one's GP who prescribed the device, and one's consultant, one can contact the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency ("MHRA") and inform them about one's concerns about the medical device (including any software that is part of the product).

There is no obvious point of contact in the NHS, let alone the contact details for the person managing the contract between the NHS and Abbott. We could, potentially, raise a yellow card against the failure of a specific sensor; but against defective software after an upgrade (?) ..... I suspect not.
The person within the NHS managing the contract between the NHS and the maker of the Freestyle Libre (including the Librelink app) is not the appropriate person to contact if one believes there is a problem with the Freestyle Libre system (including the Freestyle Librelink app) not working. Those concerns should be raised with the MHRA.

The MHRA will consider concerns raised about computer software or a software app on a mobile phone that is used as part of a medical device.

The MHRA has the power to revoke the licence of any medical device or drug available in the UK and order the maker of that medical device or drug to remove the product so it is not available to patients. That power is used rarely, but it exists nevertheless.

The MHRA can as a less draconian step work with the maker if the medical device to try to ensure any issues brought to the MHRA's attention are put right reasonably quickly.

If the MHRA aren't informed that there are issues with the product, they can hardly be expected to take any steps to approach the maker of a medical device to ensure problems are addressed.

After that our options are to wrestle with bureaucracy, I fear. Report the problem, wherever you can; your GP who is prescribing, your Consultant , the PALS for your Integrated Care Board (ICB), your MP, your local Press or national media. Basically anyone who will listen - or give in and accept the outcomes. There are 3 other CGMs that could be prescribed- if your regional Integrated Care System (ICS) has approved them; the new Bucks, Oxford and Berkshire West (BOB) has not yet approved the no-cost alternatives.

It's all very frustrating.

Yes, it is frustrating. However, drawing issues with medical devices (including computer software or a software app used with the medical device) to the attention of primary and secondary care is the civic and responsible thing to do.

No mine will not scan at all

Is your NFC still working for other things @Chrisf1 ? Like Google Pay?

We’ve had a handful of cases over the years where coincidentally with software upgrade shenanigans NFC on handsets (iPhones iirc) had stopped working properly.

There do seem to have been a lot of people experiencing issues with Libre software recently. Some seem to be resolved by OS updates, and others have considered reverting to previous versions of the reader software before the update that stopped their device working.

Must be very frustrating for you :(

I have now bought a new phone and that is working but no alarms
The alarms are not working since Abbott's last update to the app. I emalled them and their response was they are "actively looking into it and will update as soon as they have more information". I hope its soon.

Day by day I grow even more comfortable with my decision not to allow my health to be 'controlled' by a ruddy pathetic mobile phone, over which I have little influence.

My iPhone 7SE won’t work with Freestyle Libre2. A call operator from Morocco phoned and suggested I bought new iPhone 8 or 12 as mine no longer compatible. When I said I’d only bought it for my Freestyle Libre she said just keep on using the Reader instead. They need to get the App back to working properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back