Flu jab

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had a pneumonia jab when I went for bloods this week, and the nurse had to go and get it out of the big locked store because the fridge is brimming to overflowing with flu jabs. Maybe South Yorkshire has hogged the lot!
It might not have been Flu my other half was invited to go and have a Pneumonia vaccine in August.

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Flu Jab - Asda £8, Tesco -£9, Boots £13.99, Lloyds £12.99 Superdrug £12.99.
Asda are starting from 14/09/2020. Or do i risk my gp's surgery. Usually long queue's. Will be interesting to see how they deal with the extra people combined with covid-19, social distancing rules. We all must get it though somehow!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Asda are starting from 14/09/2020. Or do i risk my gp's surgery. Usually long queue's. Will be interesting to see how they deal with the extra people combined with covid-19, social distancing rules. We all must get it though somehow!
My surgery is only doing timed appointments and limited number in the waiting room. When i went to see the Diabetic nurse last month only allowed by ring bell. At least 3/4 quarters of normal chairs removed and chairs very well distanced. I also got the impression when I made my appointment I was on the list. My surgery are starting those who normally get the Jab.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Asda are starting from 14/09/2020.
Surely the charges are for people who don't qualify to get it freely? (This year that's only about half the population.)

(At least, I've never been charged at Boots. They also fulfil my prescriptions so if I went elsewhere I guess there'd be a bit of paperwork so they had my GP information, but I wouldn't expect to be charged.)

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I thought the Government were offering a free flu jab this year to everyone aged 50+ and anyone with a health condition that puts them at greater risk from coronavirus. That works out at around 30 million people, I think.

I always have mine at Boots and have never had to pay.

Martin

!!OnlyMe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Managed to get an appointment for next week at local independent chemist - Boots not doing it round here.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm having mine at the GP in 45 minute's time (Devon)! But my friend was told her Lloyds was not doing them this year, and her GP has not yet received any stocks. I was offered an eye appointment but it clashed with my foot appointment, 60 miles apart, so am waiting for another date.

!!OnlyMe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It just isn't worth waiting for the health board to send letters out so the pharmacy was the best option here. No sign of any re-starting of eye appointments or clinics here either.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
While there are suggestions that the flu season this year may be fairly effectively squashed by Covid restrictions (that’s what seems to have happened in the southern hemisphere)... I suspect we will begin to see the flu vaccination programme really ramp-up through late September / early October?

martindt1606

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
I haven't had a clinic appointment since January, and no sign of an eye test - last one was 18 months ago.
I had a clinic appointment scheduled for 20 October (having had 3 cancelled) and last week received a letter saying that the clinic were introducing a new appointments system on 1 November. Therefore your appointment is cancelled and you will be placed on a wait list. Under the new process you will be contacted 6 weeks before the appointment and can then select day, time and whether or not you want to meet face to face or have a video call. 3 days later I received a letter to say I have an appointment this week by phone. No 6 weeks warning no option to select day or time.......

last retinopathy was in June 2019 and i was warned there could be a shadow that may need following up after this years scan. I am calling the relevant department every 2 weeks and the only thing the receptionist will say is "you will receive a letter when we are back up and running......"

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had a clinic appointment scheduled for 20 October (having had 3 cancelled) and last week received a letter saying that the clinic were introducing a new appointments system on 1 November. Therefore your appointment is cancelled and you will be placed on a wait list. Under the new process you will be contacted 6 weeks before the appointment and can then select day, time and whether or not you want to meet face to face or have a video call. 3 days later I received a letter to say I have an appointment this week by phone. No 6 weeks warning no option to select day or time.......

last retinopathy was in June 2019 and i was warned there could be a shadow that may need following up after this years scan. I am calling the relevant department every 2 weeks and the only thing the receptionist will say is "you will receive a letter when we are back up and running......"
I have you checked what it is on the Retinopathy Website. Many are woking but only on limited groups of people.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Booked mine a couple of weeks ago and I’m having it on 26th September

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've just been to my local pharmacy to book my flu jab and had it there and then.
It was a little strange as the pharmacist had to don his PPE (mask, visor and plastic apron) and then hide behind the perspex screen which had a hole in it for me to put my arm. As always it was a painless activity.

Regarding retinal scans, in my area, these are back as usual(ish) and I had mine last month.
All clear.
This is great as I was told "everyone has at least some background retinopathy after 10 years". I was diagnosed with type 1 nearly 17 years ago.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You need to check this a list of what some are charging.

Totalwar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It’s normally free at the GPs but looks like it’s not at the chemist.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you have diabetes it's free, also to anyone over 55 now I think.
I thought it was 50. And https://assets.publishing.service.g...7149/Letter_annualflu_2020_to_2021_update.pdf confirms that, though it's less absolute than I thought.

As a summary: it's the usual groups (which includes 65 and over) and a few others (for example children aged 11 on 30 August 2020), and then subject to vaccine supply they might extend it to anyone 50 and over. So it sounds like people 50-64 might have to wait.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It’s normally free at the GPs but looks like it’s not at the chemist.
It should be free from the pharmacist if you "qualify".

According to the leaflet I was given today:

You may be eligible for e a free NHS flu jab at one of our pharmacies*. If you are over the age of 18 and fall into any "at risk" group, you are entitled to a free NHS flu jabs.
If you have certain medical conditions including:
  • Asthma and COPD
  • Heart disease
  • Neurological disease
  • Kidney disease
  • Diabetes
If you are:
  • 65 years of age or older
  • Minimum of 18 years
  • Pregnant
  • A carer
Additional groups included this year