fajhitas for our 'big night in' wed 24th feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Just a reminder that wednesday is 'fajhita' night for our 'big night in'!:D

Everyone is invited - the more the merrier!

I am not sure we are doing it as Alex is ill with a very sore throat and on a 200% basal so may want soup - but things may change before then.

Wholemeal wrap (obviously choose your own quantity)
chicken breast (or any meat fish or veg of your choice)
salad
Optional sauces : tomato, chilli, guacomale, mayo, salsa etc

Ours will be basic, chicken salad, and tomato sauce as Alex doesnt like spicy things! But the concept is the same.

Will post another thread for the readings tomorrow. Enjoy!🙂Bev

poor old alex i hope he feels better soon xxx chicken soup does wonders xxx

Yippee! I'll fetch the fixings tomorrow.

I'm working away on Wednesday so will be doing mine tonight!

I actually think we have a packet of elpasso (sp?) wraps in the cupboard. But I have to drive past the chip van twice, so no promises😉

We are planning to join in too.

Hope A feeling better soon. Hurrah for temp basals! 🙂

Don't think I will be able to do this one as I am working nights on Wednesday, and late tonight.Will try it some time though as I have never eaten fajitas before.

..Will try it some time though as I have never eaten fajitas before.

Oh you sooo should. I remember my first fajota experience. Once tried there was no going back 😉 hehe
I will be doing mine at the weekend as dont have time tomorrow to cook them before college. Im going the old El Paso route, gotta love the yellow boxes :D:D

Sorry Bev i wont be taking part for obvious reasons. I have learnt massivly from this and hope everyones results go ok.

Oh you sooo should. I remember my first fajota experience. Once tried there was no going back 😉 hehe
I will be doing mine at the weekend as dont have time tomorrow to cook them before college. Im going the old El Paso route, gotta love the yellow boxes :D:D

Hi there,
I checked out the Old El paso yellow boxes in Morrsions the other day.
28.4 carbs per fajita. By the look of them I might need two for a meal so that would be 56.8 carbs for the meal not including carbs from the sauce and veggies.
We are told that 1 gram of carb raises the bg of an average, slightly overweight Type 2 Diabetic by 0.4 mmol ( source : Bernstein). So 56.8 grams of carb will deliver 23 mmol spread out over a couple of hours ( hopefully).
t2s on insulin could cope with that ( I would inject something like 15 units of nr to cover it). But I think it would be a big problem for t2s on D&e and/or meds.

You can buy wholemeal wraps (which are the same as the ole el paso) - they have 37carbs in them and 1 would be sufficient for an adult as they are bigger than the 'ole el paso' ones. Eaten with salad they do fill you up! I cant remember the name of them now - i think its 'discovery' or similar from Sainsburys. I am buying mine today - so i will let you know.🙂Bev

i made my own chapatis the other day which are basically very similar ...it was so easy but you need a heavy based pan...NOTE NO FATS USED
1 cup of wholemeal flour per approx 4
pinch of salt
water

mix flour and salt
add enough water to make in to dough
break dough into smaller pieces and shape into ball put a drop of oil on hands to stop the dough sticking
leave for 10 mins
rollout onto a floured surface
roll out thinly
heat heavy based frying pan add a drop of water if it immediately hisses the pan should be hot enough
place dough in pan and like a pancake flip over when it starts to speckle brown
press down on wrap and keep flipping until it browns...it might even go fluffy
alternatively buy a whole meal wrap ....discovery do them xx

Hi there,
28.4 carbs per fajita. By the look of them I might need two for a meal so that would be 56.8 carbs for the meal not including carbs from the sauce and veggies.
We are told that 1 gram of carb raises the bg of an average, slightly overweight Type 2 Diabetic by 0.4 mmol ( source : Bernstein). So 56.8 grams of carb will deliver 23 mmol spread out over a couple of hours ( hopefully).
t2s on insulin could cope with that ( I would inject something like 15 units of nr to cover it). But I think it would be a big problem for t2s on D&e and/or meds.

Wow, there are so many people on here who are clever with this kind of thing. Cheers!
I do feel a bit odd after I eat them but have never tested😱
Im gonna stick with this route in the name of experimentation and test to see exactly how bad it is (I am diet controlled). Although I am quite good now I do still go down the route of if I cant see it then its not happening 😱
then in a few weeks I will try wholemeal wraps

Hi there,

Hi

I wouldn't worry too much, if you don't want to do it then no problem.

I think that all T2's can make their own mind up though and they will soon decide if a problem or not. It all depends on how well their pancreas is actually working, how much exercise they actually do. Each person with T2 is very different and Steff has found out what works for her due to pizza night last week. I know that is not great news for Steff but quite frankly how absolutely marvellous that an easy experiment has shown Steff this.

I think that Starbanana is also after that same experience, can she, can't she type of thing. You never know, if Starbanana has a certain type of wrap then it could work for her.

We use the Tesco's healthy living wraps which are normal white wraps but have linseed seeds in it. We love them and the seeds help with the slowing down of absorption process so work well.

I think it is each to their own and I think these are absolutely great experiments. We didn't do the pizza one, but I was able to look over the results and made informed decisions about what to try next time as it gave me great ideas.

When I go back to the UK I spend ages looking at labels to work out the things that are the lowest in carbs to bring back with me.
On my last trip I went for Discovery Tortillas as the lowest in carbs,(in that supermarket) also some of the others including El Paso contained partially hydrogenated veg. oil which I won't knowingly buy.

Tortillas
El Paso
soft flour : 60/100g carbs, 326g pkt... 8 tortillas 24.45 carb per tortilla
wholemeal:51.1/100carbs, 350g pkt 6 tortillas...30g carb per tortilla
(info from El Paso website)
Discovery
Plain flour: 49.6/100g carb, 320g pkt... 8 tortillas.... 19.8 g carb per tortilla
Chilli & Jalapeno Tortilla: 44.8/100carbs, 320g pkt...8 tortillas...17.9 carb per tortilla

Mix (if you don't make your own)
El Paso(35g pkt) 54/100g
Discovery (30g pkt) 35/100g
(also sugar is the first listed ingredient in the El paso mix, it's 5th in the Discovery one)

Hope this might help someone
(and I've just realised it's Wednesday, I'll have to do it tomorrow as chicken is still in the freezer)

Last edited:
Now you are confusing me Helen 🙂 I'm sure its Tuesday today!!:confused:

Phew that's a relief, off to swimming lessons now I am sure it is Tuesday. I've had my own doubts all day as Jessica didn't have school yesterday so when Helen said it was Wednesday I was easily fooled. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back