DUK Facebook status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam, I've read your blog post (and DM'd you on Twitter actually) and there's another blog posted on Facebook that I've not read yet - but it's never nice to hear negative opinions about the charity, but it was never the intention to cause these problems and negative feelings. I do understand what you're though, and am not happy that we've evoked this strength of feeling.

Joe

Cheers Joe, please be aware that my comments aren't aimed at any individual at all, but rather based on the experiences I have had with DUK in the past. I am how can you put it? somewhat disillusioned about the whole thing having in the past had so much conflicting information from them. Even back in the day when it was called the BDA, I wasn't a fan - and because my parents put on a massive fundraising bash for them and never got a thank you for their work. So it goes back a while. What I read with this campaign really did take the biscuit however.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is disillusioned with DUK at all. And as I've said its not directed at any individual but rather the whole, and the years and years of well, you get what I'm saying I'm sure.

i think its great that Joe being a member of the forum is able to take this feedback to the campaign organisers ...'customer feedback' and 'customer satisfaction' are all buzz words and is regarded as one of the key targets for most organisations such as DUK ....

Part of my job is to manage our online engagement with people with diabetes/supporters and that includes both promoting our messages and listening to feedback, making sure we take it on board and use it to better form our work in future. It's pretty tricky when things like this happen (!) but I'm hoping we can get something good out of it.

I am also in the process of putting together an online survey to find out more about our online audiences - those who use our website, Facebook, Twitter and this forum hopefully - to find out what works, what could be better and what we can do in future. We don't really know enough about these audiences, so it should help to improve things. I'll post more information when that's all sorted.

If anyone else has any more comments about the myth, please do let me know.

Thanks

Joe

Hello,

I'm sitting on the fence - I can see what DUK are trying to do but I agree some of it was badly worded. It's good we have someone like Joe actively taking our comments on board and feeding this back to DUK.

It must be a difficult tightrope to get enough information into a campaign slogan/tagline without making it too wordy and therefore not so catchy/memorable and I feel this is what has happened here.

There are a lot of myths surrounding Diabetes and it's good that DUK have tried to tackle some of these.

Employers attitude to people with diabetes are often very outdated and based on old studies when peoples blood sugar were not so well controlled as they are today with all our medical and technological advances.

NiVZ

Last edited:
I do like the pics that accompany the campaign on the main DUK website

sugar.jpg

type2.jpg

driving.jpg

sport.jpg

NiVZ

Hello,

I'm sitting on the fence - I can see what DUK are trying to do but I agree some of it was badly worded. It's good we have someone like Joe actively taking our comments on board and feeding this back to DUK.

It must be a difficult tightrope to get enough information into a campaign slogan/tagline without making it too wordy and therefore not so catchy/memorable and I feel this is what has happened here.

There are a lot of myths surrounding Diabetes and it's good that DUK have tried to tackle some of these.

Employers attitude to people with diabetes are often very outdated and based on old studies when peoples blood sugar were not so well controlled as they are today with all our medical and technological advances.

NiVZ

I am with Nivz on this one. I think the campaign is a good idea, and if the headlines make people mean futher that is fantastic. The headlines are not perfect, but it is such a complicated disease I know I would have struggled to find something short and eye catching which made things clearer.

It's that last one that needs sorting out I think >.<

Agreed, it's the last one that sticks out as being very misleading. The rest are fine IMHO.

Not sure how else they could have worded it though as I understand they want to make a point about all aspects of diabetic life - eating, driving, sport, and working.

Maybe "Let's extinguish the idea that EVERY person with diabetes can't do certain jobs"

NiVZ

NiVz thanks for posting the pics ...how about
good idea ...now if joe can get DUK to change the wording on that one ...however im sure its already gone to print as such !

Some news on this subject - just posted this on Facebook (annoyed I couldn't put it on the wall itself - was slightly too long...):

"Thank you for all your comments about the diabetes myths we posted yesterday. The myth about jobs has caused quite a reaction and is a complicated issue, and having listened to the feedback given by yourselves and others we have decided to remove this myth about diabetes and emplyment for now.

The message behind the myth - that we are against blanket bans on emplying people who have diabetes - is still vaild, and something that we are campaigning against. Individual assessments are the best way forward and this is something we want to see become common practice. All your feedback will help us get this message across to people in a much better way, so thank you to everyone who has commented."

Still think this is a very important point we should be raising awareness about though. If anyone has any suggestions as to what wording would work, that would be quite helpful. I can make sure this is again fed back to the relevant people.

Thanks

Joe

Fortunately I havn't come accross any restrictions that stop me doing what I want yet. Though I now hold a temporary driving liscence.

Amazing what you can do with Paint Shop 😉

NiVZ

Attachments

• job.png
    job.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 52
It has just occured to me that many diabetics have not helped in this area. I once worked with one that used it to get an easier job. and currently work with one that used it to get off night shift.
While people are pulling such stunts, you may even know somebody yourself employers will be guarded.

It is probably another case of the few spoiling it for the many.

Thansk NiVZ. Do people think the original text that accompanyed the image still works with this new one...?

"Having diabetes should not stop you from getting and keeping a job. In spite of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) the Armed Forces is the only employer where a blanket ban on employing people with diabetes still exists. Diabetes UK campaigns to lift discriminatory blanket bans. There has been a growth in evidence for individual medical assessment and Fire and Police services use this method. Individual assessment offers a rational, safe and legally defensible system of assessment for recruitment."

good one nivz ! and joe thank you for responding so quickly to this ....come on folks feedback works!!🙂

It has just occured to me that many diabetics have not helped in this area. I once worked with one that used it to get an easier job. and currently work with one that used it to get off night shift.
While people are pulling such stunts, you may even know somebody yourself employers will be guarded.

It is probably another case of the few spoiling it for the many.

I think this is where the idea of individual assessment comes in. It is possible that some people who have poorer control may need to have adjustments made to their work. If people are just using it as an excuse and without a legitimate need then yes, it does throw a poor light on things.

Hi Joe,

The text in that paragraph is pretty good. It gets over the key points that:

1. Being diabetic should NOT stop you getting and keeping most jobs.
2. The army are the only employers who still blanket ban us
3. Other employers (Police, Fire, etc) base it on indivdual assessment (which is the way it should be) and DUK are actively campaigning for more/all employers to do this.

Good to know there's someone like you at DUK taking things on board and acting so quickly.

Thanks,

NiVZ

On the getting out of night work/shift work thing... it used to be advised that diabetics didn't do shift work, but that's changed now that there are new insulin types and regimes available that are flexible.

However not everyone are on these regimes, or have difficulty controlling their levels which make managing even more variables a real bad idea. On the first insulin regime I was put on I wouldn't have been able to do night shift, as eating and sleeping times were pretty dictatorial.

Now I have the flexibility of basal/bolus but I still struggle managing my blood sugar and working night shift would make it even harder... Although I'd probably still do it, due to my dedication to my health being pretty slim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back