Does anyone else struggle with checking their BG consistently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah have a look, I would be surprised if they have put you down as type 1 without testing and if they have then they need to do some! LADA is just a really slow progressing type 1. That’s where the antibodies come in, see I have a small amount of antigad 65, I think there are 4 antibodies and these attack the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. There isn’t a huge amount of difference apart from that. A LADA is still technically a type 1 it’s just we like to self destruct at a more leisurely pace
The doctor always said that she thinks I will be required to go on insulin at some point, so very well may have put that down as a placeholder just now while I wait on my MODY results. I’ll have a look through when I get onto my PC.

Ah that sounds pretty similar to what my doctor said then. I’m fine now but down the line I’ll start to get more affected.

How did you find it when you got your results for LADA, seemed a hell of a lot quicker than your MODY results :rofl: Was it a separate test?

My antibody test were done shortly after type 2 diagnosis. I was told they were borderline but was still marked down as a type 1. As I don’t really require insulin that’s when MODY was suspected. Now that result is in my endo has just magically decided it’s LADA going of the initial test. My original endo didn’t accept LADA as a diagnosis but when he was replaced new guy was like… yeah your definitely a LADA. Interestingly a private endo once told me if I was an unusual phenotype type 2 then I would ultimately end up on insulin as the skinny ones always do apparently ?? Not sure how true that is though

Interestingly a private endo once told me if I was an unusual phenotype type 2 then I would ultimately end up on insulin as the skinny ones always do apparently ?? Not sure how true that is though
I think that is probably true because those skinny Type 2s are most likely actually LADA but either weren't tested or had inconclusive antibody tests or they were not interpreted correctly. I think many people who don't frequent this forum just accept their Type 2 diagnosis and don't get any additional tests and when their levels continue to rise despite dietary changes and medication, they end up on insulin, but because they are treated at GP practice, no one thinks to check antibodies and reconsider the original diagnosis, so they become an anomaly that no one investigates further.

There is a guy along the road from me who was diagnosed with diabetes about the same time as me. He is in his 70s but very fit and runs and cycles every day and is lean and muscular rather than overweight and already had a healthy diet... grows his own veg etc. He has cut his carbs like me and is managing his diabetes at the moment. He has a Type 2 diagnosis and I am certain he will be LADA but not tested for antibodies and so far managing without insulin due to his dietary changes and physical fitness. There will be many like him.

I think that is probably true because those skinny Type 2s are most likely actually LADA but either weren't tested or had inconclusive antibody tests or they were not interpreted correctly. I think many people who don't frequent this forum just accept their Type 2 diagnosis and don't get any additional tests and when their levels continue to rise despite dietary changes and medication, they end up on insulin, but because they are treated at GP practice, no one thinks to check antibodies and reconsider the original diagnosis, so they become an anomaly that no one investigates further.

There is a guy along the road from me who was diagnosed with diabetes about the same time as me. He is in his 70s but very fit and runs and cycles every day and is lean and muscular rather than overweight and already had a healthy diet... grows his own veg etc. He has cut his carbs like me and is managing his diabetes at the moment. He has a Type 2 diagnosis and I am certain he will be LADA but not tested for antibodies and so far managing without insulin due to his dietary changes and physical fitness. There will be many like him.
Yes I’m pretty sure that that’s a reasonable explanation. I just think how tough it must be for those that don’t stick out like a sore thumb, if I wasn’t skinny there would have been no question. Type 2 off you go, some of those people must desperately struggle

Yes I am getting bored with checking 6 or so times a day now, I think in the beginning (and its only been 6 weeks) it was a novelty but now its a pain as I have to remember to take it even if I am really busy at work or looking after my sons whippets that nearly ate the top of a lancet! Its just one more thing to remember and I am type 2 so trying to not get hung up on the numbers, I want to treat the insulin resistance and not the sugar levels, if insulin works more efficiently the sugar levels will follow so now really got into my exercise to get things working again! 🙂

Yes I am getting bored with checking 6 or so times a day now, I think in the beginning (and its only been 6 weeks) it was a novelty but now its a pain as I have to remember to take it even if I am really busy at work or looking after my sons whippets that nearly ate the top of a lancet! Its just one more thing to remember and I am type 2 so trying to not get hung up on the numbers, I want to treat the insulin resistance and not the sugar levels, if insulin works more efficiently the sugar levels will follow so now really got into my exercise to get things working again! 🙂
Yeah I used to test religiously in the beginning but now I only do it once when I’m at work. I’m self-funding the Libres cause it’s so much more convenient lol

Yeah have a look, I would be surprised if they have put you down as type 1 without testing and if they have then they need to do some! LADA is just a really slow progressing type 1. That’s where the antibodies come in, see I have a small amount of antigad 65, I think there are 4 antibodies and these attack the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. There isn’t a huge amount of difference apart from that. A LADA is still technically a type 1 it’s just we like to self destruct at a more leisurely pace
Test results aren’t on MyDiabetesMyWay, confirmed it with my nurse. I’d need to contact my doctor going through the secretary, and I don’t know if I can be bothered doing that…

One thing I've noticed over the last year, is that I really struggle with taking my BG readings consistently. I think I just have this (wrongful) mentality of "ugh, I can't be bothered!" which means I don't really know where I'm at daily in terms of my BG. I know when it's getting low, and I definitely know when it's a hypo (horrible feeling!) but other than that I kind of succumb to it and just let it do its own thing.

I'm fine at consistently taking my gliclazide every day with dinner, but I just can't find it in me to consistently finger prick 4 times a day. It honestly feels like a chore sometimes, which is stupid because it's such a small thing to do.

Has anyone struggled like this before, and what did you do to overcome it? My current mentality isn't helping me, and it definitely isn't helping the doctors. I tried the free trial for the Freestyle Libre monitors, which I loved! It was so much more convenient, but as I'm not T1 or insulin-dependent (yet), I'm not eligible to get it on the NHS, and can't fathom spending £100 a month purely for that convenience :rofl:
Yes I'm just like that. Only started a week ago but used up the small supply of test stuff the hospital gave me on Friday, messing it up and getting an error. Finally got supplies today, eventually used it, worked 1st time, all good. Had dinner now I'm sitting in the dark as usual and just don't want to. Denial is a possibility.
I'm right at the start of this journey, but bored of it already. 🙄
It does help sharing, I have a habit of over sharing sometimes but I’ve tried to reign that in a bit lol
Me too!! :rofl:

Scott are you running out of lancets yet with scribbling the tally marks into the wall?

Scott are you running out of lancets yet with scribbling the tally marks into the wall?
Do you know something, I think I actually am. You've just reminded me I need to put in a prescription, thanks! :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: gll
Do you know something, I think I actually am. You've just reminded me I need to put in a prescription, thanks! :rofl:
🙂

I have actually had an enforced cease to testing as my test strips I ordered over a week ago havent arrived 🙂

🙂

I have actually had an enforced cease to testing as my test strips I ordered over a week ago havent arrived 🙂
I somehow managed to put two prescriptions in at the same time when I last had to. Ended up getting double quantities of everything, so that kept me going for a while! 🙂

thanks emma, you saved me having to find the thread to ask the same...great minds n all that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back