Doctors appointment (call) tomorrow am - help with prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I'm finally home and having my first night with insulin by myself. I've already given myself one shot all by myself. It's been amazing to see the effect. I was at 27 and went to 15 with only 4 units of insulin. The diabetic nurse said that is good.

They've given me basal and said to take 12 units and then meal insulin of 4 units for now so they can observe how it works and then will adjust accordingly.

I am going to get into alot of the materials you've shared here. Thank you so much @Inka @everydayupsanddowns @Proud to be erratic @Leadinglights @Tdm and everyone else. Your advice has been a life saver and I've been so comforted by your support all through this.

Attachments

• 20240130_104835.jpg
    20240130_104835.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 12
Brilliant news @Mbabazi ! It’s great that you’ve been given a mealtime (bolus) insulin straightaway. You’ll find it completely different eating now, and as they adjust your insulin, you’ll start to feel so much better and more yourself again.

I’m sure they’ve told you to keep hypo treatments near, but I’ll just repeat it anyway. If you’re able to make a note of your meals (and the carb amount if possible) that will help a lot. It sounds like you’re responding to the insulin well. I’m so pleased for you 🙂 😎

Its great that you are in control of your blood sugars again. Do bear in mind yhat your body is now used to high blood sugars so you may feel a bit ropy as they reduce to more normal levels, also, you may get low blood sugar symptoms (eg shaking, hunger etc i think...i don't actually get hypo symptoms myself) at levels above where they normally kick in (around 4)
So, if at all possible, test before you eat those hypo treats.
Any progress on types? It would be great if yhey treated you as type 1 then you could get a continous glucose monitor libre libre with low alerts on prescription

Its great that you are in control of your blood sugars again. Do bear in mind yhat your body is now used to high blood sugars so you may feel a bit ropy as they reduce to more normal levels, also, you may get low blood sugar symptoms (eg shaking, hunger etc i think...i don't actually get hypo symptoms myself) at levels above where they normally kick in (around 4)
So, if at all possible, test before you eat those hypo treats.
Any progress on types? It would be great if yhey treated you as type 1 then you could get a continous glucose monitor libre libre with low alerts on prescription
For some reason, the type discussion did not come up. The doctor I saw simply decided to treat me as type 1 until further notice and said all this was a lot of info and that I should ask for the cgm from my appointment with he diabetic clinic. I feel like all the info on insulin and management is alot so I am ok to wait. The also are repeating my gad and another antibody so in a few weeks, we will know more.

You are right about hypo symptoms. I felt low blood sugar symptoms and it turns out I was only at 9 but because I was starving, I had a banana and that went up to 14. I did not take any bolus for it as I was concerned it was already low. So I have a question, at what point do you test for before sleeping off and what is a good in range value knowing that you have basal insulin on board? I had my bolus with dinner an hour ago but do not want to sleep until I am sure I am in range to not have a hypo. I am planning to test in 30 minutes so I know the effect of the meal.

Brilliant news @Mbabazi ! It’s great that you’ve been given a mealtime (bolus) insulin straightaway. You’ll find it completely different eating now, and as they adjust your insulin, you’ll start to feel so much better and more yourself again.

I’m sure they’ve told you to keep hypo treatments near, but I’ll just repeat it anyway. If you’re able to make a note of your meals (and the carb amount if possible) that will help a lot. It sounds like you’re responding to the insulin well. I’m so pleased for you 🙂 😎
Thanks for flagging that. I will carry hypo treatments to bed. I got gummies and coke.

Hi mbabzi I'm not good with medical advice but please do find a way to de stress. A friend passed me a free meditation app that takes 15 mins and I listen to it on the bus or tube or even in the supermarket. It really helps. Its mot going to really affect your bloods much but will give you a clear mind in dealing with this. Im newly diagnosed abd found it helpful for my mental health. Franthepotter.

For some reason, the type discussion did not come up. The doctor I saw simply decided to treat me as type 1 until further notice and said all this was a lot of info and that I should ask for the cgm from my appointment with he diabetic clinic. I feel like all the info on insulin and management is alot so I am ok to wait. The also are repeating my gad and another antibody so in a few weeks, we will know more.

You are right about hypo symptoms. I felt low blood sugar symptoms and it turns out I was only at 9 but because I was starving, I had a banana and that went up to 14. I did not take any bolus for it as I was concerned it was already low. So I have a question, at what point do you test for before sleeping off and what is a good in range value knowing that you have basal insulin on board? I had my bolus with dinner an hour ago but do not want to sleep until I am sure I am in range to not have a hypo. I am planning to test in 30 minutes so I know the effect of the meal.
In range is 4 to 10, and generally the advice is to be at least 5 before bed.
It may make sense to stay in the top part of this range until you get a cgm.
I your basal is right, it should keep you level overnight. But at he moment it is likely your sugars will be a bi wild. I attach an image of my levels about 2 months after dignosis, and more recently

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220412-204630.jpg
    Screenshot_20220412-204630.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240130_222329_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_222329_Samsung Notes.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 9
@Tdm On injections I was told at least 8 before bed. I think that’s especially important early in diagnosis.

@Franthepotter I’m a big fan of meditation and mindfulness but here I think @Mbabazi has every reason to feel stressed after this ordeal and the previous DKA. All this could have been avoided and actually if I was Mbabazi I’d be considering a complaint not listening to meditation. I don’t actually think Mbabazi sounds that stressed anyway, considering the circumstances.

In range is 4 to 10, and generally the advice is to be at least 5 before bed.
It may make sense to stay in the top part of this range until you get a cgm.
I your basal is right, it should keep you level overnight. But at he moment it is likely your sugars will be a bi wild. I attach an image of my levels about 2 months after dignosis, and more recently
oh wow, what a difference from initial diagnosis to now. Great that you have such good range now

Hey everyone. just a quick update and a few thoughts and questions. I was 13.8 (very happy with that) at around 10 pm and woke up and checked at 7:20am and was 12.7 so it reduced a bit overnight. I went for a 20-minute walk and checked again and it was the same. I am now going to have my basal and my bolus with my first meal being sure to inject 20 minutes before eating. The nurse said I could do that. I am feeling optimistic since I am not seeing 20s. I will do the same injecting for lunch and dinner and if I have a snack it should be healthy or low carb so I do not have to inject for snacks. The nurse told me this too. I will find a thread about eating and snacking here. I know @Inka you said that I could eat as usual. I also heard that with insulin one needs to have a snack before bed? Also curious about not gaining excessive weight with all the bedtime snacking and managing hypos with sugar and carbs. Is there a method around this?

@Tdm On injections I was told at least 8 before bed. I think that’s especially important early in diagnosis.

@Franthepotter I’m a big fan of meditation and mindfulness but here I think @Mbabazi has every reason to feel stressed after this ordeal and the previous DKA. All this could have been avoided and actually if I was Mbabazi I’d be considering a complaint not listening to meditation. I don’t actually think Mbabazi sounds that stressed anyway, considering the circumstances.
I think you are right @Mbabazi has been treated terribly.

Meditation just personally felt like an extra friend to stop me running to the pub and the dairy milk whilst I was anxious. Just a small prop.

Good luck mbabazi it sounds really hard. Franthepotter.

I think you are right @Mbabazi has been treated terribly.

Meditation just personally felt like an extra friend to stop me running to the pub and the dairy milk whilst I was anxious. Just a small prop.

Good luck mbabazi it sounds really hard. Franthepotter.
Thank you @Franthepotter - indeed it can be overwhelming- and I appreciate the thought and suggestion. taking walks helps me not obsess about what is going on and I do feel rather relieved that I am getting something to help me bring down my blood sugars, that alone is a huge stress relief

Thank you @Franthepotter - indeed it can be overwhelming- and I appreciate the thought and suggestion. taking walks helps me not obsess about what is going on and I do feel rather relieved that I am getting something to help me bring down my blood sugars, that alone is a huge stress relief
I get really anxious around medication and food (im type 2) - I find it hard also for gp appointments too! I hate it when I take this stress out on my husband and son. Lots of medical stuff to learn. Good luck!

Hey everyone. just a quick update and a few thoughts and questions. I was 13.8 (very happy with that) at around 10 pm and woke up and checked at 7:20am and was 12.7 so it reduced a bit overnight. I went for a 20-minute walk and checked again and it was the same.
Hi again @Mbabazi,
You are getting excellent advice from others and I'll try to not add to any possible confusion or contradictions. But 2 comments made by you leap out at me:
I am now going to have my basal and my bolus with my first meal being sure to inject 20 minutes before eating.
The 20 mins before eating is a time period that you should NOT consider to be set in concrete. You can and should "pre-bolus" as many or as few minutes before a meal as is necessary (and sometimes this could be a "post-bolus" of x many minutes). 20 mins is a generic start period - but with trial and learning you will come to find that YOU need an optimum period for YOU to get your insulin to be in the right place in your blood to coincide with the digestion of the food (carbs in particular) that you have eaten and that have arrived in your blood converted into glucose. Your guiding Nurse should be able to look at your results and offer suggestions for adjusting that 20 mins. But if you feel the pre-bolus time needs tweaking YOU should be prepared to take ownership of that adjustment.

There are all sorts of valid and correct explanations for this, which I think could confuse matters by delving into these right now. But just accept that the pre-bolus time can vary from meal to meal - both the type of meal (eg a savoury breakfast of toast and beans (any eggs are carb free) vs a dairy and fruit breakfast will digest very differently and become glucose in your blood at different speeds); and the time of day - many of us find NovoRapid works at a different speed from breakfast to lunch to dinner times so many of us have different pre-bolus times at different times of day. YOU eventually have to start spotting these quite subtle pre- (or post-) bolus timings for your body. You won't learn this instantly!!

If you decide to adjust your pre-bolus times just keep a note of such changes and help your Nurse with that bit of the detective work! Also don't get too stressed about the preciseness of a pre-bolus time period; in practice (in real life) events change and times slip etc, even without the inherent variability of your own metabolism on any one day at different times of the day.
The nurse said I could do that. I am feeling optimistic since I am not seeing 20s. I will do the same injecting for lunch and dinner
Yes, currently your guidance is to take 4 units with each meal and that is fine. BUT for you and your Nurse to be able to learn anything about how much insulin you actually need for each different meal, you need to help with that detective work and keep the variables in this science experiment on YOUR body to a reasonable minimum. In the near future you will have a much improved sense of carb counting and how much insulin is needed for different breakfasts, different lunches and different evening meals. You are not going to be constrained to identical meals for the rest of your life.

But right now if you can plan for the next week or two to have very similar breakfasts and different but similar repeatable lunches and different again but still repeatable dinners then you will provide yourself and your Nurse with clear data about what works for you and your 4 units and what doesn't work. Then your Nurse can confidently adjust the 4 units for different meal types as well as for any specific meal.

In practice this is often very easy for breakfasts; most of us are creatures of habit and will tend to have very similar breakfasts for months at a time. Likewise lunches can often be simple and repeatable (usually for speed and convenience). It is dinners that can be quite varied, particularly for the bigger carb hitters; eg potatoes, rice or pasta?

Importantly do NOT arbitrarily decide to have a very low or zero carb meal. You are now taking insulin and your body will NEED some carbs, thus glucose, to work with. If you should unluckily choose a standard meal that does give you a significant spike that doesn't recover [Edited to add] then just go with it and discuss with your Nurse an appropriate adjustment.
and if I have a snack it should be healthy or low carb so I do not have to inject for snacks. The nurse told me this too. I will find a thread about eating and snacking here. I know @Inka you said that I could eat as usual. I also heard that with insulin one needs to have a snack before bed?
I don't find a snack just before bed is at all necessary. But I can see that in previous times, when CGM was not readily available to anyone, this might have been sensible advice for early days of insulin and BG management. But it certainly was NOT a "standard" for my first 12 months with no pancreas and only finger pricking.

Actually, from trying to read back into this quite lengthy thread, I can't see if you do yet have any CGM. Could you possibly please clarify that ?
Also curious about not gaining excessive weight with all the bedtime snacking and managing hypos with sugar and carbs. Is there a method around this?
I'll let others explain this, but for the record I've been very close to my current 71kg for the full 4 years since I instantly became insulin dependent; I was 75 kg in the months preceding my diagnosis, a weight I was unhappy with. Right now the important thing is to get you onto a stable Multiple Daily Insulin (MDI) regime and if you need extra snacks .... you need what you need.

Finally we are all different in how we manage food and insulin. No member can tell you definitively what is right or wrong - just offer clues about what has worked for each of us. Nor can your Nurse; he/she will have experience from helping other patients but that experience may not be perfect for you. So there could be moments when you must accept that YOU will need to own YOUR decisions and that will define your moment of Graduation into this illustrious but challenging College!

I agree with the above. Listening to the nurse is great now, bit like someone holding on to the back of your bike as you learn to ride it, but you will only really get any speed up when you take control of your diabrtes yourself.
A snack begore bed may be a good idea right now, especially til you getca cgm, but shouldn't be necessary long term

Honestly, I’d forget working on prebolus timings for now. If you can take it a bit before your meal, great, if you can’t, no worries.

You’ve got a lot of changes going on already and adding in all the complications of different prebolus times for different foods is just going to be confusion you probably dont need right now.

Counting carbs, taking bgs, taking the insulin is enough going on for now. Once you’re seeing stable bgs regularly and adjusting your own doses based on the carbohydrates and you’re ready to learn some more, then come back to prebolus timings.

@Mbabazi I’ve had Type 1 for 30 years. I’ve had numerous bedtime snacks and I’ve eaten loads of hypo treatment and extra carbs - and yet I’m slimmer than all my non-diabetic friends. The glucose tablets have minimal carbs and any biscuits or slices of bread you have as a follow-up are hardly going to cause weight gain. Just eat a normal healthy diet, keep active, sleep well and live your best life 🙂 Gradually your diabetes will fade into the background more.

What a
Hi again @Mbabazi,
You are getting excellent advice from others and I'll try to not add to any possible confusion or contradictions. But 2 comments made by you leap out at me:

The 20 mins before eating is a time period that you should NOT consider to be set in concrete. You can and should "pre-bolus" as many or as few minutes before a meal as is necessary (and sometimes this could be a "post-bolus" of x many minutes). 20 mins is a generic start period - but with trial and learning you will come to find that YOU need an optimum period for YOU to get your insulin to be in the right place in your blood to coincide with the digestion of the food (carbs in particular) that you have eaten and that have arrived in your blood converted into glucose. Your guiding Nurse should be able to look at your results and offer suggestions for adjusting that 20 mins. But if you feel the pre-bolus time needs tweaking YOU should be prepared to take ownership of that adjustment.

There are all sorts of valid and correct explanations for this, which I think could confuse matters by delving into these right now. But just accept that the pre-bolus time can vary from meal to meal - both the type of meal (eg a savoury breakfast of toast and beans (any eggs are carb free) vs a dairy and fruit breakfast will digest very differently and become glucose in your blood at different speeds); and the time of day - many of us find NovoRapid works at a different speed from breakfast to lunch to dinner times so many of us have different pre-bolus times at different times of day. YOU eventually have to start spotting these quite subtle pre- (or post-) bolus timings for your body. You won't learn this instantly!!

If you decide to adjust your pre-bolus times just keep a note of such changes and help your Nurse with that bit of the detective work! Also don't get too stressed about the preciseness of a pre-bolus time period; in practice (in real life) events change and times slip etc, even without the inherent variability of your own metabolism on any one day at different times of the day.

Yes, currently your guidance is to take 4 units with each meal and that is fine. BUT for you and your Nurse to be able to learn anything about how much insulin you actually need for each different meal, you need to help with that detective work and keep the variables in this science experiment on YOUR body to a reasonable minimum. In the near future you will have a much improved sense of carb counting and how much insulin is needed for different breakfasts, different lunches and different evening meals. You are not going to be constrained to identical meals for the rest of your life.

But right now if you can plan for the next week or two to have very similar breakfasts and different but similar repeatable lunches and different again but still repeatable dinners then you will provide yourself and your Nurse with clear data about what works for you and your 4 units and what doesn't work. Then your Nurse can confidently adjust the 4 units for different meal types as well as for any specific meal.

In practice this is often very easy for breakfasts; most of us are creatures of habit and will tend to have very similar breakfasts for months at a time. Likewise lunches can often be simple and repeatable (usually for speed and convenience). It is dinners that can be quite varied, particularly for the bigger carb hitters; eg potatoes, rice or pasta?

Importantly do NOT arbitrarily decide to have a very low or zero carb meal. You are now taking insulin and your body will NEED some carbs, thus glucose, to work with. If you should unluckily choose a standard meal that does give you a significant spike that doesn't recover [Edited to add] then just go with it and discuss with your Nurse an appropriate adjustment.

I don't find a snack just before bed is at all necessary. But I can see that in previous times, when CGM was not readily available to anyone, this might have been sensible advice for early days of insulin and BG management. But it certainly was NOT a "standard" for my first 12 months with no pancreas and only finger pricking.

Actually, from trying to read back into this quite lengthy thread, I can't see if you do yet have any CGM. Could you possibly please clarify that ?

I'll let others explain this, but for the record I've been very close to my current 71kg for the full 4 years since I instantly became insulin dependent; I was 75 kg in the months preceding my diagnosis, a weight I was unhappy with. Right now the important thing is to get you onto a stable Multiple Daily Insulin (MDI) regime and if you need extra snacks .... you need what you need.

Finally we are all different in how we manage food and insulin. No member can tell you definitively what is right or wrong - just offer clues about what has worked for each of us. Nor can your Nurse; he/she will have experience from helping other patients but that experience may not be perfect for you. So there could be moments when you must accept that YOU will need to own YOUR decisions and that will define your moment of Graduation into this illustrious but challenging College!
Such a Wealth of information you've shared here. Thank you so much for taking the time. For sure with time I will learn to adjust and manage the insulin.
So I currently don't have a cgm but plan to ask for one at my appointment with the clinic later this month and that should really help me see what's hapenning ith my numbers now that I have insulin on board.
I am taking both of my readings and already feel empowered somewhat. Thanks again

@Mbabazi I’ve had Type 1 for 30 years. I’ve had numerous bedtime snacks and I’ve eaten loads of hypo treatment and extra carbs - and yet I’m slimmer than all my non-diabetic friends. The glucose tablets have minimal carbs and any biscuits or slices of bread you have as a follow-up are hardly going to cause weight gain. Just eat a normal healthy diet, keep active, sleep well and live your best life 🙂 Gradually your diabetes will fade into the background more.
That's nice to hear Inka. I'm OK with a few pounds just not too much so that's good to know.

Spund advice there. I love love the idea of it fading into the background ... should add this to my vision board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back