Diabetic Friendly Foods/ deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbell84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just wondered if it would be worth starting a thread for Diabetic friendly foods and/or deals that are on in the supermarket?

for example, the 24 cans of diet coke for ?5 in tesco, or Robinsons Squash was on offer at the weekend

Plus with a credit crunch going on, just thought some people may benefit from something like this?

Just a long shot, let me know what you think?

xxx

Just wondered if it would be worth starting a thread for Diabetic friendly foods and/or deals that are on in the supermarket?

for example, the 24 cans of diet coke for ?5 in tesco, or Robinsons Squash was on offer at the weekend

Plus with a credit crunch going on, just thought some people may benefit from something like this?

Just a long shot, let me know what you think?

xxx

oooooooooh 24 cans for ?5 oooooooooooooh

we get 12 cans for ?3 at the moment from ASDA. Last week they had an offer of 15 cans for ?3

I was thinking about starting something similar myself recently, but along more general lines, like how to eat healthily without it costing the earth!

I suppose my main tip is common-sense really. I do most of my food shopping at the local co-op, as I don't drive and don't buy a huge amount of food at a time. The Co-op are always having a range of stuff on offer, so I always take advantage of them when they are something I eat and that has a bit of a shelf life. So:

Teabags are often 50% extra free, or BOGOF etc. and they last for ages. Don't think I've spent the full price on them for years. Brands on offer change, but they're all pretty much the same unless you're looking for high quality which I'm not.

Stuff like breakfast cereal are usually on offer. Again, different sorts, but you need a bit of variety anyway and they normally have a fairly long shelf life. I just bought some Oatso Simple porridge BOGOF - works out at 10p per breakfast. I bought some Branflakes the other week for ?1 and some Weetabix 50% extra free, so have plenty in there at a fraction of the normal price!

Jelly babies, as has been mentioned, are often half price, and it's a good idea to stock up when they are! Plus, I bought two large packets of digestives for ?1 recently - they'll last me a while, at least until the next offer!

I look out for stuff like meat that is on it's sell by date and therefore reduced - just take it home and stick it in the freezer until needed - bread can also go in the freezer if not consumed on the day.

I make a lot of meals like chilli, curry, sausage casserole, sweet and sour, spag bol etc. and freeze in portions so I have a variety of home-made 'ready' meals to choose from, but only the effort of cooking once in a blue moon!

I tend to buy tinned fruit most of the time, except bananas, as fresh fruit tends to come in large quantities which get thrown away in large quantities when they rapidly go off. Nutritionally, there's not much difference as long as the tinned stuff isn't in syrup!

For my oily fish fix, I have sardines on toast - very cheap!

At a rough estimate I'd say the vast majority of my meals caost under ?1, and a lot of them work out at less that 50p. In some ways it's easier because I only have to please myself, but in other ways a lot of food is sold and marketed for families and the quantites are too great for me to bother with.

I guess I 'eat to live' not 'live to eat'!:D

thats a great idea if any offers come up in our local supermarkets and we can let each other know , morrisons got 2 litre bottle of pepsi max for ?1

Last edited:
asda are also doing big litre bottles of lucozade for ?1

Aldi is good for your fruit & veg, alebit they may not last that long in terms of freshness

🙂

I saw an advert for ASDA, get so much off your first order if you shop on line. Think I'm gonna follow Northeners example with the fruit and get the tinned variety, I often fancy a peach and it is hard to get just one or two. Get a punet and they go off before I can eat them. No one else in my house ets that much fruit, they all prefer their vege.

Great idea for a thread. If I ever venture out i'll find some ideas for here 🙄

Northe, it was 2 naans for ?1 in co-op the other day which is why I had curry - bargain!!

Half price 6 packs of lucozade in Sainsbury's at the moment - handy to keep one in the car and by the bed, and a few at work...

Before I stopped taking proper care of myself I used to do a cook-in every other weekend. I enough ingredients for four people and freeze the results. Also if I was making something like Bolognese sauce, I'd convert half of it to chilli. That's what I call a twofer.🙂

I'm going to start up again when I get home so I'll be watching this space.

Lucozade? but isnt that full of sugar? jelly babies? curry? digestives? ive a lot to learn!

Lucozade? but isnt that full of sugar? jelly babies? curry? digestives? ive a lot to learn!

Yes, indeed they are, but... Diabetics, especially Type 1s can suffer from low blood glucose as well as high, thus they need to have something handy to raise the levels in a hurry. Not something you or I will need to worry about for a while I reckon.

Yes, indeed they are, but... Diabetics, especially Type 1s can suffer from low blood glucose as well as high, thus they need to have something handy to raise the levels in a hurry. Not something you or I will need to worry about for a while I reckon.

Hi im T2 and i always carry jelly babies and biscuits with me, you might not need then very often but when you BG falls quickly you will be glad of a bit of sugar as you will feel hypo even if it is false. I've been out walking the dog and had to call hubby to come and get me. i was only diagnosed in may,

Julie

Well now, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know that Type 2's can have hypos!! I thought our lives were dedicated to getting and keeping that bloomin' number down!!

I've a lot to learn!! 😱

xx

Tesco have 72 weetabix for ?3 (saving ?1.89). 🙂

Sainsbury's - 1 pack of 6 x 250 ml bottles of Pepsi Max (handy size to carry around) = ?2.58 or 2 packs of 6 for ?3 !

Tesco's - 2litre bottle Pepsi Max = ?1.

(Unfortunately, I don't like Pepsi/Pepsi Max, lol, I have to wait for the [diet] Coke (especially [diet] Cherry Coke!!) to be on offer!!

xx

Sainsbury's - 1 pack of 6 x 250 ml bottles of Pepsi Max (handy size to carry around) = ?2.58 or 2 packs of 6 for ?3 !

Tesco's - 2litre bottle Pepsi Max = ?1.

(Unfortunately, I don't like Pepsi/Pepsi Max, lol, I have to wait for the [diet] Coke (especially [diet] Cherry Coke!!) to be on offer!!

xx

ive never even seen diet cherry coke lol, lucky you for getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back