Covid-19 response

Hi Robin,

What is the difference between or what does it mean if someone has had the sarscov2 virus and was asymptomatic (no symptoms) and someone having had covid19 and asymptomatic (no symptoms)? In others words, what is covid19 if it isn't an illness/disease? What is covid19?
Does it matter? Seriously. Neither feels unwell nor makes any demand on healthcare etc which I suspect is your focus.

But crucially both can spread the infection onwards to others that could be far worse off and stretch healthcare resources and leave ongoing illness and cause harm to the economy in the process.

Which is why your focus on the precise wording is meaningless.

Hi Robin,

What is the difference between or what does it mean if someone has had the sarscov2 virus and was asymptomatic (no symptoms) and someone having had covid19 and asymptomatic (no symptoms)? In others words, what is covid19 if it isn't an illness/disease? What is covid19?
People use terms like "infected with SARS-CoV-2", "has COVID-19", "is infected with the virus that causes COVID-19", etc., pretty much interchangeably. (Though I think the last one's almost never used because it's too long, but it's something someone might say.)

Pretending that when someone's talking about COVID-19 they're always referring to people infected with the virus and who have definite symptoms seems to me to be talking about idealised speakers who may not actually exist at all.

If we acknowledge that even mild COVID-19 might cause damage, then the distinction between COVID-19 and asymptomatic infection feels fuzzy enough that I doubt anyone's going to care. How many people don't have symptoms that might be mild COVID-19 in a typical year?

If you are producing enough virus to shed it, then you  are infected whether or not you have symptoms. I think that you are entirely too hung up on symptoms as an indicator of infection.

I had no symptoms of diabetes. It's actually not at all uncommon with type 2 to have no symptoms until HbA1c is significantly raised. My blood sugars being raised on routine testing (which gave me my diagnosis) is not a symptom. It's exactly the same as testing positive for COVID because you are shedding the virus (because it has infected your cells) but not having any symptoms.

(Potentially it could be argued that I kind of had symptoms as I did not recover as quickly from a fairly mild case of COVID as would have been expected, but at the time I was not diagnosed and my GP assumed that it was a chest infection on top although my lungs sounded ok, and gave me antibiotics. I did improve after taking those so who knows if there was a bit of both affecting my recovery.)

I would also add to the earlier comment regarding chicken pox that it is entirely possibly to be infected with chicken pox and have no spots. Around 5% of the population carry chicken pox antibodies (showing that they have previously been infected) without ever having had clinically obvious chicken pox, and without being vaccinated. (That's partly because chicken pox is actually primarily a respiratory illness so they may have had cold symptoms.)

I would also like to point out that many of those who died from pneumonia etc (including one of my former work colleagues who was in her 50s) did actually really die because of COVID. She would almost certainly not have caught pneumonia had she not already been seriously ill in intensive care with COVID 19. That's why they went with the "recent positive test" as a parallel because it's well known that when you are now or recently unwell with one infection (respiratory or otherwise), and your immune system is already struggling, you are more likely to catch another infection. I find it upsetting when you keep insisting that those who died in such circumstances did not die "from COVID" @Amity Island because in my understanding (as a health professional) they did.

If you are producing enough virus to shed it, then you  are infected whether or not you have symptoms. I think that you are entirely too hung up on symptoms as an indicator of infection.
The tests don't show if one is infectious. I've said this from the very beginning and it is still true today.

I am also not saying symptoms are the sole indicator of infection, because that is what the tests confirm. I fully understand the purpose of the tests, which were to try and reduce spread. Totally get that, no issue with that at all.

The point I have been tirelessly been trying to make is sarscov2 is a virus, a virus that in some people can cause a disease known as covid 19. Having a positive test does not equate to the disease known as covid19. There is no test for the disease known as covid19, I've been saying that from day one and it is still true today. It's one thing to have the virus another thing to have covid19.

Tests are there to confirm covid19 not the other way around, you don't test symptomless people (which sometimes is what they did during the pandemic) then say you have covid19. Lost count how many times I heard someone say they had covid19 just from a positive test alone.

Back to my point about "cases". How can anyone have a "case" of covid19 if they don't have symptoms? Yes they can have the virus, yes they can spread it but call it what it is, and not what it isn't.

How can anyone ring in work sick -with a "case" of covid19 - if they have no symptoms? You'd get laughed at and possibly sacked.

You can't have had a "case" of flu or covid19 if you have had no symptoms or does anyone on here disagree and you see it perfectly logical, reasonable and acceptable for someone to be off with a "case" of flu or covid if they are well?

@42istheanswer Would you allow an employee to ring in sick with a "case" of flu if they are not sick? @42istheanswer if you think this is ok, then we can just agree to disagree on what a "case" is.

Last edited:
Tests are there to confirm covid19 not the other way around, you don't test symptomless people (which sometimes is what they did during the pandemic) then say you have covid19. Lost count how many times I heard someone say they had covid19 just from a positive test alone.
In the paragraph above you correctly identify the test is actually for the presence of the sars cov2 virus, not the covid disease. In this one you get it wrong. So you yourself are now mixing up the terminology and as someone so keen on the correct usage it proves how easily less pedantic people might confuse/use them.
Back to my point about "cases". How can anyone have a "case" of covid19 if they don't have symptoms? Yes they can have the virus, yes they can spread it but call it what it is, and not what it isn't.
Yes you are right, they have the wording technically incorrect. Again does it flipping matter? They are infected with the transmissible virus - which is the relevant part - regardless of what you call it. Do you correct everyone on every incorrect usage of the English language?
How can anyone ring in work sick -with a "case" of covid19 - if they have no symptoms? You'd get laughed at and possibly sacked.
They technically don’t. They ring in “sick” infected with a transmissible virus. Again semantics, that just about everyone except you seems to understand. Previously in the pandemic that was legally mandated to avoid onward transmission. Now it’s a matter a company policy how it’s handled, same as most other illnesses, diseases and infections. This virus is unusual in that we can test for it at home asymptomatically. We don’t face this same dilemma about other asymptomatic “sickness/infection/disease” because we don’t know about it. If we did the level of risk to others would need to be assessed in order to attend work in the same way it is/was for sarscov2/covid.

(Apart from anything else it’s easier and quicker to type or say covid than sarscov2 so maybe blame whoever named it)

In the paragraph above you correctly identify the test is actually for the presence of the sars cov2 virus, not the covid disease. In this one you get it wrong. So you yourself are now mixing up the terminology and as someone so keen on the correct usage it proves how easily less pedantic people might confuse/use them.

Yes you are right, they have the wording technically incorrect. Again does it flipping matter? They are infected with the transmissible virus - which is the relevant part - regardless of what you call it. Do you correct everyone on every incorrect usage of the English language?

They technically don’t. They ring in “sick” infected with a transmissible virus. Again semantics, that just about everyone except you seems to understand. Previously in the pandemic that was legally mandated to avoid onward transmission. Now it’s a matter a company policy how it’s handled, same as most other illnesses, diseases and infections. This virus is unusual in that we can test for it at home asymptomatically. We don’t face this same dilemma about other asymptomatic “sickness/infection/disease” because we don’t know about it. If we did the level of risk to others would need to be assessed in order to attend work in the same way it is/was for sarscov2/covid.

(Apart from anything else it’s easier and quicker to type or say covid than sarscov2 so maybe blame whoever named it)
Ok. I'm completely wrong. I'm just being pedantic, playing with words and getting into circular conversations.

I've always believed (but clearly I'm wrong) that to have a "case" of something you need to have symptoms.

So now apparently we can have a case of for example:

Diorhea without symptoms
Dysentery without symptoms
Food poisoning without symptoms
Flu without symptoms
Covid19 without symptoms

And its perfectly normal to ring in work sick with a case of whatever diorhea, food poisoning or covid19 without symptoms.

This is what your immunity is for, to tackle infections so you don't get sick and have symptoms. If you don't get symptoms then you are not sick and don't have a "case" of it.

My simple, but important point is, having a virus is not the same as developing symptoms, sickness, disease and thus counting something as a case when it isn't.

If we don't distinguish between the two, how will we know when to treat or seek medical care?

I don't believe anyone would be taken seriously if they rang 111 with a "case" of food poisoning without any illness or symptoms. What advice would they give to such a call?

There are millions of viruses and bacteria lurking around, and if we wanted to, we could test to find anyone of them. But finding a virus doesn't equal a case of anything unless we become ill.

In the beginning they made it quite clear that sarscov2 is the virus and covid19 the disease.

Last edited:
I'm just being pedantic, playing with words and getting into circular conversations.
yep 100% agree with you now You are using this argument to rile against the restrictions that were put in place (which are in the past now too). I’ve heard better and more persuasive ones even if I don’t agree with them.
My simple, but important point is, having a virus is not the same as developing symptoms, sickness, disease and thus counting something as a case when it isn't.
Yep got that many posts back. Agreed with you. And said so many times. And agreed people use the virus name and disease name interchangeably and incorrectly sometimes. The rest of us extrapolate, understand their meaning, ignore the error and move on rather than carry on in the above mentioned circles.
And its perfectly normal to ring in work sick with a case of whatever diorhea, food poisoning or covid19 without symptoms.
See #125
This is what your immunity is for, to tackle infections so you don't get sick and have symptoms. If you don't get symptoms then you are not sick and don't have a "case" of it.
I actually do agree here. But you seem to ignore this system isn’t perfect and doesn’t always respond fast enough to achieve no symptoms and even over reacts sometimes too and causes it’s own problems. When it’s a new infection to the host even more likely it won’t be perfect the first time.
If we don't distinguish between the two, how will we know when to treat or seek medical care?
For this virus we don’t need to distinguish as the testing is primarily for the purpose of avoiding reinfecting others. And no one has recommended treatment or seeking medical care for a positive test without symptom’s.
In the beginning they made it quite clear that sarscov2 is the virus and covid19 the disease.
And continuing to do so would have removed all your negative feelings? I don’t think so. As I said laziness in speech and text because of the awkwardness of using sarscov2 probable Is responsible for the inaccurate shorthand much as it is for many other technical but widely understood errors. (There’s one being discussed about margarine elsewhere in the forum right now, hoovers and vacuums, pens and bics)

As I said laziness in speech and text because of the awkwardness of using sarscov2 probable Is responsible for the inaccurate shorthand much as it is for many other technical but widely understood errors.
I watched the case numbers all through the pandemic. I felt it more than just laziness that they changed a simple positive test to a "case". As you understand, a "case" of something is a huge leap from just a positive test (there are thousands of viruses and we could make a test for anyone of them).

A "case" of something certainly sounds more serious (more persuasive) than just reporting positive tests of which there were millions.

I'm not denying people were sick btw.

This "laziness" as you termed it continued throughout the pandemic. I've hundreds of similar examples. One I remember was when the w.h.o said immunity is when we are vaccinated but removed natural aquired immunity from the definition of immunity. This I feel isn't laziness but intentional, for intentional reasons. Similar was said for herd immunity, that herd immunity is when everyone is vaccinated. And yet; the vaccines didn't put an end to the pandemic.

Last edited:
I watched the case numbers all through the pandemic. I felt it more than just laziness that they changed a simple positive test to a "case". As you understand, a "case" of something is a huge leap from just a positive test (there are thousands of viruses and we could make a test for anyone of them).

A "case" of something certainly sounds more serious (more persuasive) than just reporting positive tests of which there were millions.

This "laziness" as you termed it continued throughout the pandemic. I've hundreds of similar examples. One I remember wa

s when the w.h.o said immunity is when we are vaccinated but removed natural aquired immunity from the definition of immunity. This I feel isn't laziness but intentional, for intentional reasons. Similar was said for herd immunity, that herd immunity is when everyone is vaccinated. And yet; the vaccines didn't put an end to the pandemic.

Told you before, this covid vaccine obsession is taking over your life, time to give it a rest & chill out.

Told you before, this covid vaccine obsession is taking over your life, time to give it a rest & chill out.
@nonethewiser Straight up question, honestly, has your interest never been piqued by any of it?

Did you not think it odd the same people scaring the living daylights out of everyone were happy to have parties?

On the vaccines, I've never said to get one or not get one. It's a personal decision, based on personal circumstances and health etc. My point has always been around why natural immunity and naturally acquired immunity was ignored. It was always if you're not vaxxed (which later became if you haven't had 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th jab you are not fully vaccinated) you are not protected which is clearly not true. If you are not protected by being exposed to an inactivated or live virus, how on earth will a vaccine work?

If I've already got a car and someone offers me another one and I decline (as I am more than happy with the one I have), this does not in any way mean I am "anti-car." I just don't need two cars.

This "laziness" as you termed it continued throughout the pandemic. I've hundreds of similar examples. One I remember was when the w.h.o said immunity is when we are vaccinated but removed natural aquired immunity from the definition of immunity. This I feel isn't laziness but intentional, for intentional reasons. Similar was said for herd immunity, that herd immunity is when everyone is vaccinated. And yet; the vaccines didn't put an end to the pandemic.
You are aware that protection from natural and vaccines is not identical? It seems not. Thouhg I do agree it always felt odd natural immunity from a recent infection was ignored. They stimulate the body slightly differently? And fade at different rates? And have different effects on T cells as well as antibodies? And have differing effects on the likelihood and severity of long covid?

And that a vaccine does not necessarily prevent the disease (obviously the hope and the ideal) but can also be used to lessen the harm it causes (as these vaccines tuned out). All 3 of my kids still got whooping cough despite being vaccinated at separate times. Breakthrough infections have always happened.

You are aware that protection from natural and vaccines is not identical? It seems not. Thouhg I do agree it always felt odd natural immunity from a recent infection was ignored. They stimulate the body slightly differently? And fade at different rates? And have different effects on T cells as well as antibodies? And have differing effects on the likelihood and severity of long covid?

And that a vaccine does not necessarily prevent the disease (obviously the hope and the ideal) but can also be used to lessen the harm it causes (as these vaccines tuned out). All 3 of my kids still got whooping cough despite being vaccinated at separate times. Breakthrough infections have always happened.
The problem as I see it is that the "experimental mRNA product" (Peter Doshi's description) has been conflated with traditional "vaccines".
They are very different animals.

They use a different technology, sure, but the idea's the same: they let the adaptive immune system see things we'd like it to attack, but without the risk of being infected by whatever it is.

If someone doesn't like having weird stuff injected, in some sense the mRNA vaccines are really good: there's just tiny amounts of mRNA (which we know the body can dispose of) wrapped in lipids. Other kinds of vaccine tend to include more stuff (the adenovirus ones involve a whole (modified) virus) like adjuvants.

The problem as I see it is that the "experimental mRNA product" (Peter Doshi's description) has been conflated with traditional "vaccines".
Still a vaccine introduced via a jab v natural immunity. Whatever your views on either they are not the same thing and have different properties/effect, and that was my point. I’m not going to debate covid vaccines/mRNA etc as that’s another huge as yet unconcluded issue.

So yes different animals, and accordingly different policies it seems. Though, as I said, even I’m baffled by the total exclusion of natural immunity in the policies of the past (assuming you survived the required exposure unscathed and alive).

Though, as I said, even I’m baffled by the total exclusion of natural immunity in the policies of the past (assuming you survived the required exposure unscathed and alive).
My impression is partly they didn't want to create incentives for people to infect themselves and partly they were worried about the relative variation in response to infection. Likely also there's some question of simplicity (many people were infected before testing was generally available).

My impression is partly they didn't want to create incentives for people to infect themselves and partly they were worried about the relative variation in response to infection. Likely also there's some question of simplicity (many people were infected before testing was generally available).
All very fair points.

As regards to self and deliberate exposure perhaps that’s survival of the fittest and some natural selection take place :( . I’m pro vaccine (even whilst realising it’s not perfect and there will always be rare and serious reactions to ANY medication) but it has to be said even vaccine responses are variable in regards to immunity conferred, not just virus exposure.

As regards to self and deliberate exposure perhaps that’s survival of the fittest and some natural selection take place
Especially early on I don't get the impression that the PM cared that much about deaths, as such. The fear was overwhelming hospitals with people needing oxygen (who might well survive, but equally might not).

Back