Concerns about my new meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the need was for a consistent accuracy at lower numbers rather than a percentage. The Useful Links thread says within +/-0.83mmol/L below 5.6

see the bottom of this section
Yes that was what I thought and they seemed to be misquoting the guidelines.

Last edited:
Cost of the equipment also should not be a factor in meter selection for T1s.

Alternative (cheaper) options should be offered only if everything else is equal. Eg some pumps link with specific meters, or some meters have download / logging software which makes them more helpful to some people.

If you are unhappy with the switch, I think you could put together a list of reasons why your other meter is more suitable for you, and ask to switch back.

Yes that was what I thought and they seemed to be misquoting the guidelines.

I wouldn’t care about that, just that the meter suited you and seemed accurate. My local area tried to swap me onto a really crappy meter because it was cheaper and I refused to use it and asked that they continue to provide my usual meter and strips. They did this without a fuss.

Cost of the equipment also should not be a factor in meter selection for T1s.

Alternative (cheaper) options should be offered only if everything else is equal. Eg some pumps link with specific meters, or some meters have download / logging software which makes them more helpful to some people.

If you are unhappy with the switch, I think you could put together a list of reasons why your other meter is more suitable for you, and ask to switch back.

Unfortunately I don't have that metter anymore(long story). I don't think the company would send another out unless I was reporting a broken meter.(I suppose if one was actually presribed I could get it I don't know how that would work). The hospital arnt supplied them now.

Unfortunately these guideline from my CCG say they are making cost s big thing(even though they shouldn't be)(so perherps it's them that should be being challenged),(athough they will still provide the ones that work with pumps but I'm not on a pump).

Attachments

Unfortunately I don't have that metter anymore(long story). I don't think the company would send another out unless I was reporting a broken meter.(I suppose if one was actually presribed I could get it I don't know how that would work). The hospital arnt supplied them now.

Which meter was it? If you contact the meter company’s helpline they’ll more than likely send a replacement.

The NICE guidance for T1 in adults (NG17) has a big section on self monitoring, including supporting people to check up to 10 times per day, and the importance of having access to capillary blood strips and a suitable meter even if on CGM.

In terms of what meter, this is what it says:

1.6.26​

When choosing blood glucose meters:
  • take the needs of the adult with type 1 diabetes into account
  • ensure that meters meet current ISO standards. [2015]

(scroll down past CGM to get to the bit about meters)

At no point does it say “make sure it’s the cheapest option available” (which it does for other things).

And from what you’ve said the meter company aren’t complying by the ISO standards for BG monitors with what you were told aout accuracy in lower ranges?

Which meter was it? If you contact the meter company’s helpline they’ll more than likely send a replacement.

The NICE guidance for T1 in adults (NG17) has a big section on self monitoring, including supporting people to check up to 10 times per day, and the importance of having access to capillary blood strips and a suitable meter even if on CGM.

In terms of what meter, this is what it says:

1.6.26​

When choosing blood glucose meters:
  • take the needs of the adult with type 1 diabetes into account
  • ensure that meters meet current ISO standards. [2015]

(scroll down past CGM to get to the bit about meters)

At no point does it say “make sure it’s the cheapest option available” (which it does for other things).

And from what you’ve said the meter company aren’t complying by the ISO standards for BG monitors with what you were told aout accuracy in lower ranges?

It was wavesense jazz wireless. I used to really not like that meter too just for it being a bit of nightmare In colder temperatures but I did find work around that's but over the last few months I had become very happy with it as I noticed it was it was almost always prey close to dexcom(with a few expections) so knew I could trust it enough to check that was working properly.

Yes I can see reading though the nice guidelines there's no mention about cost. My local authority have seem to have decided this is a thing that must happen.

Its one there thier website where it mentions about the acucurry of lower numbers in the link with my origally theard.

It was wavesense jazz wireless. I used to really not like that meter too just for it being a bit of nightmare In colder temperatures but I did find work around that's but over the last few months I had become very happy with it as I noticed it was it was almost always prey close to dexcom(with a few expections) so knew I could trust it enough to check that was working properly.

Yes I can see reading though the nice guidelines there's no mention about cost. My local authority have seem to have decided this is a thing that must happen.

Its one there thier website where it mentions about the acucurry of lower numbers in the link with my origally theard.
To add that they they do claim to comply with guidelines but if that's what they think they are the there not.

To add that they they do claim to comply with guidelines but if that's what they think they are the there not.
Actually I have just discovered this on the box. So maybe they do and the links a little bit wrong even though it's on there website.

Attachments

• 17058571418822444607190077362531.jpg
    17058571418822444607190077362531.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 6
Well I've found my wavesense jazz meter and this has confirmed my concerns with the the new meter

Attachments

• 28752-955bb30f3681276eb419cf65d277c75e.jpg
    28752-955bb30f3681276eb419cf65d277c75e.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 8
I can't quite see the pictures but were your strips still in date for the jazz.
Yes my dexcom said 11.3 the wavesense jazz said 10.7 and my glucorx q said 7.7. so I think my wavesense jazz is more reliable for checking dexcom.

Well I sent a message to my gp surgery asking them to put me back on wavesense jazz strips they not going to be too happy me after I told them to take them off because I thought I didn't need epsailly as I contacted them a few times regrading test strips for the new meter.

I do wonder if it's worth writeimg toy CCG(I know it's not actually card that any more) And challey their so called cost effective guidelines. But they probably wouldn't pay much notice of me I'm just one person and just maybe of the public they might be that interested in what members of the public think.

Well I've found my wavesense jazz meter and this has confirmed my concerns with the the new meter
Athough I should have really used the same drop of blood compare these.

Glad you’ve found your old meter @rayray119 !

Interesting to see the variation between the results you got.

Hope the strips are reinstated for you.

Yes that was party why I was party why I got suspicious of it in the first place but because I've found the dexcom one to pretty good with our of range numbers and soon as I charged meter there was offen a bit of difference when. Dexcom was showing out of range numbers as and I thought "well that's a bit suppisous".

Had I not had dexcom I probably wouldn't have got suspicious.

Yes that was party why I was party why I got suspicious of it in the first place but because I've found the dexcom one to pretty good with our of range numbers and soon as I charged meter there was offen a bit of difference when. Dexcom was showing out of range numbers as and I thought "well that's a bit suppisous".

Had I not had dexcom I probably wouldn't have got suspicious.
They should reinstate your strips if you have explained the reason you took them off was because you thought you had lost your monitor but had now found it and found it more consistent with the Dexcom

They should reinstate your strips if you have explained the reason you took them off was because you thought you had lost your monitor but had now found it and found it more consistent with the Dexcom
Yeah I did explain that in my message. I have a doctors appointment about some else leter(been advised to get checked for astma by doctor in an urgent treement) so if I haven't heard anything by then and jf I get chance(as sometimes you don't with get to discuss other things at doctors appointment) I might bring

Athough it does seem like my cgg are making things for doctors and other hea I have got spenific supply of wave sense jazz strips to use up at the moment I think.

This is line in the guidelines of my CCG " either of the preferred options for categories 1 and 2 are not suitable, then any meter with blood
glucose test strips costing less than £9 for 50, ketone testing strips less than £10 for 10 and
corresponding lancets costing less than £4 per 100 are suitable for prescribing.".

I have no idea why they decided cost is a factor when nice say nothing of the sort.

Yeah I did explain that in my message. I have a doctors appointment about some else leter(been advised to get checked for astma by doctor in an urgent treement) so if I haven't heard anything by then and jf I get chance(as sometimes you don't with get to discuss other things at doctors appointment) I might bring

Athough it does seem like my cgg are making things for doctors and other hea I have got spenific supply of wave sense jazz strips to use up at the moment I think.

This is line in the guidelines of my CCG " either of the preferred options for categories 1 and 2 are not suitable, then any meter with blood
glucose test strips costing less than £9 for 50, ketone testing strips less than £10 for 10 and
corresponding lancets costing less than £4 per 100 are suitable for prescribing.".

I have no idea why they decided cost is a factor when nice say nothing of the sort.
I suppose they have to balance their budgets and they don't have a bottomless pit of money.

I suppose they have to balance their budgets and they don't have a bottomless pit of money.
Well yes but providing cheap not great meters could actually in the long run cost them more.

For example if I didn't have the dexcom I would have I trusted the meter. And if I'm right about it being it being iffy if I'm out range. That could have lead to me walking around thinking I was in range because the meter said so but I was actually high and wouldn't be doing anything about it.

I've now. seen they given me lancets for agamatix(which I won't use) so may need to contact them again and say it's the test strips I want back not the lancants)

Success I got the old the strips back repeat. I did ask them if they could also presribe another wavesense jazz meter but don't know if it's possible for a gp to write a prescription for actually.

I have now noticed the test strips port being a bit temperamental which may well be my flaut but think I can manage for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back