Comfort food.

I used to hate suet, in any form! I loved steak and kidney pie - but not the pudding version. I didn't like it whenever my mother cooked Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding. I don't think I'd eat kidneys nowadays anyway but I still love steak pie. Since I moved to Scotland, I've discovered that steak pie's regarded as a delicacy here :party: .
Make sure you order a large steak pie in for Hogmanay. Very traditional to offer to guests along with a wee dram. :D:D:D

I use a topping for savoury pies like fish, chicken and mushroom with bread crumbs, parmesan, fresh herbs, spring onions.
Ground hazelnuts also goes well in a savoury topping

Make sure you order a large steak pie in for Hogmanay. Very traditional to offer to guests along with a wee dram. :D:D:D
Yes: my (Scottish) partner always cooks one on Hogmanay. Neither of us like whisky though!

So is battered deep fried Mars Bars.

Love a good steak pie, butchers shops are best IMHO.
Even before I developed diabetes I'd never have been brave enough to try a deep fried Mars bar! We have a couple of farm shops near us that do lovely steak pies 🙂 .

For current diet friendly things I'm currently working out how to make a pleasant fish pie complete with crispy cheese topping without going full-on mashed potato. I suspect it might be impossible.
The Hairy Bikers had a low carb recipe for shepherd's pie which had much reduced potato in the topping and cabbage replacement. We prefer that variant to full-on potato mash. It has a lighter texture. The cabbage could, of course be exchanged for any low carb veg. The generous cheese still creates the crispy topping.

I used to hate suet, in any form! I loved steak and kidney pie - but not the pudding version. I didn't like it whenever my mother cooked Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding. I don't think I'd eat kidneys nowadays anyway but I still love steak pie. Since I moved to Scotland, I've discovered that steak pie's regarded as a delicacy here :party: .
Oh God, we have to fill the car boot with....Steak pie,Black pudding, square sausage,and that awful plain white bread with the black crust on it. It's embarrassing.........each time we come back home South. You would think that there were no shops and food in the South.

Oh God, we have to fill the car boot with....Steak pie,Black pudding, square sausage,and that awful plain white bread with the black crust on it. It's embarrassing.........each time we come back home South. You would think that there were no shops and food in the South.
I've never been brave enough to try Lorne sausage (is that the same as what you're calling "square sausage"?) and I can't cope with the idea of black pudding. I don't know the bread you're describing: probably just as well :rofl:.

When I started this thread I really wondered what folk used as comfort food within the diabetic world. Never imagined the trips down memory lane , especially the school dinners and. Angel Delight..oh butterscotch........it's been nostalgic reading.

I've never been brave enough to try Lorne sausage (is that the same as what you're calling "square sausage"?) and I can't cope with the idea of black pudding. I don't know the bread you're describing: probably just as well :rofl:.
I remember first having Lorne sausage when I first went to Edinburgh in the late Nineteen nineties and really enjoying it.Alas the stuff Iceland sell as Lorne sausage isn't good at all and it's really not the same.

Sometimes there's no substitute for Scottish food, example Lorne sausage where stuff eaten up north is far removed from some of the rubbish served in supermarkets like Iceland as @stephenS50 says.

Same with black pudding, by far best is Stornoway BP, nothing like that awful stuff Bury BP which wouldn't give to a dog.

Like a good Scottish fry up, prefer normal sausage to Lorne but is still tasty although bit more greasy IMHO.

When I used to visit Edinburgh for work the breakfast at the most popular hotel to stay at was amazing. The usual sausage, egg, bacon, tomato, mushrooms, hash browns and black pudding with added white pudding, haggis and lorne sausage.
And there was the time when lunch in the work canteen was haggis, neeps and tatties with whiskey sauce.

I'm not quite sure what it is, all the food my parents and grandparents said I wouldn't like when I was little I felt compelled to try and it turns out most of it I really enjoyed including too many of the odd bits :rofl:

I grew up around Manchester and North Notts but have been in Sussex for over 30 years now and it's the same, there are so many things that were normal that you can't get here though almost all of them I'm probably not allowed any more. Try and get chips and gravy down here and you're on a loser. The closest we have down here to a local speciality that other places lack is wonderful Italian ice cream shops but that's a coast thing not a Southern one.

I remember first having Lorne sausage when I first went to Edinburgh in the late Nineteen nineties and really enjoying it.Alas the stuff Iceland sell as Lorne sausage isn't good at all and it's really not the same.
I've seen it in Sainsbury's but it looks a bit too pale and manky for my liking. Is it true that there's more cereal in it and less meat than 'English' sausage?

I grew up around Manchester and North Notts but have been in Sussex for over 30 years now and it's the same, there are so many things that were normal that you can't get here though almost all of them I'm probably not allowed any more. Try and get chips and gravy down here and you're on a loser. The closest we have down here to a local speciality that other places lack is wonderful Italian ice cream shops but that's a coast thing not a Southern one.
When I was a kid (50 years ago!) we used to go to Brighton: it was quite run down then (although not as bad as in 'Brighton Rock'). However, there were seafood stalls: I liked the whelks but couldn't cope with the jellied eels.

When I used to visit Edinburgh for work the breakfast at the most popular hotel to stay at was amazing. The usual sausage, egg, bacon, tomato, mushrooms, hash browns and black pudding with added white pudding, haggis and lorne sausage.
And there was the time when lunch in the work canteen was haggis, neeps and tatties with whiskey sauce.

I'm not quite sure what it is, all the food my parents and grandparents said I wouldn't like when I was little I felt compelled to try and it turns out most of it I really enjoyed including too many of the odd bits :rofl:
If I ate fried breakfasts I'd like to ban hash browns (an American interloper) and bring back fried bread.

I remember seeing 'chips and gravy' on the menu in fish and chip shops when I lived in the West Midlands: I was never brave enough to try it though. There seem to be lots of Italian ice cream shops in the central belt of Scotland (where I live now): I think that lots of Italian PoWs stayed after the War.

Sometimes there's no substitute for Scottish food, example Lorne sausage where stuff eaten up north is far removed from some of the rubbish served in supermarkets like Iceland as @stephenS50 says.

Same with black pudding, by far best is Stornoway BP, nothing like that awful stuff Bury BP which wouldn't give to a dog.

Like a good Scottish fry up, prefer normal sausage to Lorne but is still tasty although bit more greasy IMHO.
What you've said reminds me of the exchange in 'Fawlty Towers': "I wouldn't board my dog here!"; "Fussy, is he?".

I've seen it in Sainsbury's but it looks a bit too pale and manky for my liking. Is it true that there's more cereal in it and less meat than 'English' sausage?
I like the expression "manky" !!! As a child growing up in Glasgow, we ate it. We were well fed and ate what was on our plate and it was fine. Now as an very mature adult........now way!!!!!!! It's disgusting BUT ours was bought from a local , reputable butcher , supermarkets were just begining and my mother would never have bought such a thing there. It's changed days as we have changed our tastes and widened our horizons.

Back