Comfort food.

Oh no: not more custard 😱 . I've always hated it - just like I hate rhubarb. My partner sometimes threatens to make rhubarb crumble and custard.
Yummy...yummy..rhubarb crumble and custard..one of the greatest comfort food dishes of all.I haven't made it for a while...gonna have too again.

We have the same thing with ratatouille, I love it OH hates it. When he was in hospital for a couple of weeks I made a huge pot and had it for several days on the trot. I did feel a bit like a traitor.
You're not the only who isn't keen on ratatouille @Leadinglights...usually I love French food...but I draw the line on two things snails and ratatouille.I can't stand either of them.

You're not the only who isn't keen on ratatouille @Leadinglights...usually I love French food...but I draw the line on two things snails and ratatouille.I can't stand either of them.
Having ratatouille for dinner this evening with a nice Sourdough ciabatta.

It's strange how butterscotch always seemed to be kids' favourite flavour! I think it's crucial that we enjoy our regular ('healthy') meals, or else we'll be tempted to snack on 'unhealthy' foods. I have a big bowl of muesli for breakfast: it fills me up and I enjoy it.

I've moved to Scotland for family reasons and a member of my partner's family buys me an 'Oor Wullie' annual each Christmas, to help me learn the language and culture. Wullie loves "mince n tatties".
Fond memories of Oor Wullie and The Broons annuals at Christmas. Both sets of grandparents were Scottish so always guaranteed to receive them as presents along with tablet and Tunnocks snowballs.

Fond memories of Oor Wullie and The Broons annuals at Christmas. Both sets of grandparents were Scottish so always guaranteed to receive them as presents along with tablet and Tunnocks snowballs.
Before I developed LADA (and before we moved to Scotland), my partner used to bring me back snowballs, caramel wafers, teacakes and caramel logs after visiting family there - as well as Sweetheart Stout. No wonder there's such a high prevalence of diabetes in Scotland :rofl:

I don't mind ratatouille but I'm not desperately keen on it. I tried snails once many years ago: they just tasted of garlic to me and I wouldn't eat them again.

Escargots - described by my best friend as being a lot of trouble to eat French bread soaked in garlic butter, cos the best bit was mopping said melted butter out of the empty shells. I've never bothered trying them as there are shedloads of other things I'd rather eat, thanks.

Interesting thread. I didn't grow up in the UK and didn't have custard before moving here. Recently a local baker was making classic school desserts and I bought a chocolate cake that came with pink custard. To be honest I didn't expect to like the custard but I really did, tho I can't describe the flavour, it was like some sort of artificial fruit.

(I had tried plain custard too in other occasions, can eat it but is not my favourite thing).

Comfort food for me are some hot meals my mom makes, like stews and soup with super thin, short noodles. Like many of yours, is a combination of the taste and the childhood memories 🙂

classic school desserts and I bought a chocolate cake that came with pink custard

I only ever had pink custard at primary school. Weird.

I asked my other half what his favourite school pudding was and he said without any hesitation "Apple Pandowdy" ! Did anyone else have this as a pudding at school or anywhere else for that matter? According to him it is a suet pudding, filled with apple and lemon curd and rolled up and baked rather than steamed, so that the outside is crispy, then cut into slices and served with custard.

I asked my other half what his favourite school pudding was and he said without any hesitation "Apple Pandowdy" ! Did anyone else have this as a pudding at school or anywhere else for that matter? According to him it is a suet pudding, filled with apple and lemon curd and rolled up and baked rather than steamed, so that the outside is crispy, then cut into slices and served with custard.
Sounds lovely but I have never heard of it before. We used to have baked jam rolypoly at school which sounds similar. Lovely in the winter.

I've moved to Scotland for family reasons and a member of my partner's family buys me an 'Oor Wullie' annual each Christmas, to help me learn the language and culture. Wullie loves "mince n tatties".

Aa good as 'Oor Wullie' is if you want to speak fluent Scottish & learn its culture & ways then I highly recommend you watch whole 10 series of Rab C Nesbitt, old Rab was a model Scottish citizen.

For the school dinners surely some of you must have had caramac tart? A thick-ish gloopy take on the sweets on top of a layer of pastry. Very much off the menu now. For current diet friendly things I'm currently working out how to make a pleasant fish pie complete with crispy cheese topping without going full-on mashed potato. I suspect it might be impossible.

Oh no... suet pudding, another had my last ever of. In this case steak & kidney pudding. I'm still coming to terms with sticky toffee pudding :rofl:

For the school dinners surely some of you must have had caramac tart? A thick-ish gloopy take on the sweets on top of a layer of pastry. Very much off the menu now. For current diet friendly things I'm currently working out how to make a pleasant fish pie complete with crispy cheese topping without going full-on mashed potato. I suspect it might be impossible.
Mashed cauliflower (has to be very well drained after boiling and before mashing, with a good dollop of cream cheese works well as a topping for cottage/shepherd's pie with a generous sprinkling of grated cheese on the top. I usually add a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard to the mash as well, but not sure if that would compliment fish. Personally I am not a fan of fish so haven't tried it as a topping for that, but I think others have. Cauli mash works well with high meat content bangers too. No peeling involved and cooks quicker than spuds and mashes easier too.

Oh no... suet pudding, another had my last ever of. In this case steak & kidney pudding. I'm still coming to terms with sticky toffee pudding :rofl:
I used to hate suet, in any form! I loved steak and kidney pie - but not the pudding version. I didn't like it whenever my mother cooked Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding. I don't think I'd eat kidneys nowadays anyway but I still love steak pie. Since I moved to Scotland, I've discovered that steak pie's regarded as a delicacy here :party: .

Custard is lovely if it's made properly, with eggs, milk and cream (no cornflour). Not the Birds Eye horrible powder.

For a topping on fish pie try mixing cauli mash (or celeriac mash) with a dollop of mashed potato. It, sort of gives it a bit of substance and stops it being so runny.

BTW we were recently on a river cruise and one day the starter on offer was snails. I remembered the bits of chewy elastic you only ate for the garlic butter and made an alternate choice. Hubby had them and insisted that I try them. They were absolutely delicious and nothing like the things we used to have in the 70s.

I use a topping for savoury pies like fish, chicken and mushroom with bread crumbs, parmesan, fresh herbs, spring onions.

Back