Comfort food.

EMcKT

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
DH has been at Wentworth today watching the golf. Cancelled due to the thunder, not the horrendous rain we had locally, but had tea....... Comfort sausages and bacon. What do others have for comfort food???? I like toast....

Comfort food is rice pudding or a nice sticky toffee pudding. Both off the menu now. Still looking for a nice alternative. Any suggestions? I have a very sweet tooth.

DH has been at Wentworth today watching the golf. Cancelled due to the thunder, not the horrendous rain we had locally, but had tea....... Comfort sausages and bacon. What do others have for comfort food???? I like toast....
High meat content sausages are generally very low carb so not a bad comfort food.

My idea of comfort food heaven is bangers(high quality ones of course),with mash and red onion gravy followed by a white chocolate panna cotta with strawberry sauce..I don't know how many carbs are in those two dishes but once in a blue moon it certainly is a real treat.

My idea of comfort food heaven is bangers(high quality ones of course),with mash and red onion gravy followed by a white chocolate panna cotta with strawberry sauce..I don't know how many carbs are in those two dishes but once in a blue moon it certainly is a real treat.
I love sausages and mash and gravy too - although I can take or leave desserts

I like a nice, thick homemade soup. Mashed potato with butter and salt and pepper is also very comforting. For dessert, I’d go for a fruit crumble and custard

I like nice soup too - although I'm
I like a nice, thick homemade soup. Mashed potato with butter and salt and pepper is also very comforting. For dessert, I’d go for a fruit crumble and custard
I love nice soup - but I'm far too lazy to make it :(. I don't mind mashed potato but I hate both fruit crumble and custard: traumatic memories of school dinners, I expect 😱.

I love nice soup - but I'm far too lazy to make it :(. I don't mind mashed potato but I hate both fruit crumble and custard: traumatic memories of school dinners, I expect 😱.
Try pre chopped veg or a stir fry pack(without noodles) with a good quality stock. Takes 10 or 15 minutes. Add diced chicken or other protein of choice. Soup for lunch plus leftovers. Quick and simple.

Try pre chopped veg or a stir fry pack(without noodles) with a good quality stock. Takes 10 or 15 minutes. Add diced chicken or other protein of choice. Soup for lunch plus leftovers. Quick and simple.
Unfortunately I think you significantly underestimate my laziness 😉

Unfortunately I think you significantly underestimate my laziness 😉
As I live in a very rural area the alternative for me is a 20 minute drive to a decent supermarket for ready-made soup in cartons (hate the canned stuff). Reading all the labels before deciding which is healthier, queue to pay then 20 minutes drive home. Making my own just seems simpler.

Oh no! The desserts were the best part about school dinners :D We used to have a variety of crumbles, including pineapple crumble. I can’t say the school custard was particularly exciting but we did occasionally have pink custard. No idea how or why it was pink, but it was exciting:rofl:

Oh no! The desserts were the best part about school dinners :D We used to have a variety of crumbles, including pineapple crumble. I can’t say the school custard was particularly exciting but we did occasionally have pink custard. No idea how or why it was pink, but it was exciting:rofl:
We only had nasty desserts: perhaps it was a Greater London Council initiative to put kids off sweets :rofl:. We sometimes had what was called blancmange: perhaps the same as your "pink custard"?

What...you had pineapple crumble?...you were very lucky indeed.Although I have to admit school dinners at my last school were really good.Our dinner ladies were rather good cooks and we ate things such as pork and apple pie which I have to say was absolutely delicious.

We only had nasty desserts: perhaps it was a Greater London Council initiative to put kids off sweets :rofl:. We sometimes had what was called blancmange: perhaps the same as your "pink custard"?

No, it wasn’t blancmange (which I’m not fond of). It was definitely a pink custard. I keep thinking about it now :D We often had it with a big square of something that was like a thick shortbread biscuit. We also had jam tarts and custard; chocolate sponge with chocolate custard; an iced sponge with white/cream buttercream topping and hundred and thousands on top. I think that came with custard too! Then there was semolina with a spoonful of strawberry jam in; a kind of golden syrup sponge pudding (with custard!) and a number more.

School dinners are rubbish now in comparison! No proper puddings at all!

What...you had pineapple crumble?...you were very lucky indeed.Although I have to admit school dinners at my last school were really good.Our dinner ladies were rather good cooks and we ate things such as pork and apple pie which I have to say was absolutely delicious.

Yes, pineapple crumble was a rare treat. If we saw it was a yellowish fruit crumble when we were queuing up, we’d hope it was pineapple crumble, but it was usually apple. We had rhubarb crumble too, and stewed rhubarb and custard (not very popular). Another unpopular dessert was greengages. They were cold stewed green plum things and they were so sharp they’d make your eyes water! We used to dare each other to eat one!

No, it wasn’t blancmange (which I’m not fond of). It was definitely a pink custard. I keep thinking about it now :D We often had it with a big square of something that was like a thick shortbread biscuit. We also had jam tarts and custard; chocolate sponge with chocolate custard; an iced sponge with white/cream buttercream topping and hundred and thousands on top. I think that came with custard too! Then there was semolina with a spoonful of strawberry jam in; a kind of golden syrup sponge pudding (with custard!) and a number more.

I remember some of the desserts you mention, none of which I liked much. Having said that, the main courses weren't much good either :(. Luckily I always had a good breakfast and my mother cooked a proper dinner every evening, so I don't remember needing (or having access to) snacks before I got home from school. I lived in the Midlands for many years and I remember that some people talked about having had "pink custard" at school: perhaps it never permeated as far south as London.

Was it Instant Whip, I think there was strawberry, chocolate and butterscotch flavours.

Back