Change diet and weight loss to avoid metformin - I'm trying!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sticking to olive oil but have also been eating quite a lot of hard goats cheese.
Olive Oil is very good for you. High in 'good' fats.
You don't need much of it. I use a tablespoon in a salad.

It sounds like my metabolism is very similar. I also am a lifelong active person. One question re meals. When you eat 2 meals is it like 11am amd 5pm?? I have a morning rise in my blood sugar after I get up. I wonder what is best way to level this out? PM activity or eating breakfast? Thx
Have a read about dawn phenomenon. It’s the liver trying to be helpful and not knowing when to stop! Long term control of the rest of the day will bring that morning fasted reading down over time (months not days). It’s often the highest of the day and the last to get it where you want it. In a way it reflects your overall resistance.

Different people have different approaches to it. Some consider it draining the liver “swamp” of excess stored glucose and fat and largely disregard it. Others have a small snack to remind your liver your are up and awake and don’t need its help. I’m talking a single hard boiled egg or a matchbox of hard cheese. It can stop that morning rise in its tracks.

Some have breakfast and dinner and skip lunch Others breakfast and lunch and skip dinner. Your domestic situation probably dictates what works best there. Others exercise. There’s lots written about various snacks before bed. All I think this does is give you an unseen bump overnight instead imo.

I’d add my eating two meals isn’t a deliberate strategy. I just don’t feel hungry enough because when I do it’s nutrient dense and not full of fillers like bread or rice etc. If I’m hungry I eat. If I waver and eat carbs I get more hungry much more quickly.

I was going to be referred to DESMOND. I'm glad I didn't, as I probably would have just argued with them.
Sound like a bunch of idiots.
Hi Harbottle can I ask if you have e stayed on metformim to keep average levels down?

Have a read about dawn phenomenon. It’s the liver trying to be helpful and not knowing when to stop! Long term control of the rest of the day will bring that morning fasted reading down over time (months not days). It’s often the highest of the day and the last to get it where you want it. In a way it reflects your overall resistance.

Different people have different approaches to it. Some consider it draining the liver “swamp” of excess stored glucose and fat and largely disregard it. Others have a small snack to remind your liver your are up and awake and don’t need its help. I’m talking a single hard boiled egg or a matchbox of hard cheese. It can stop that morning rise in its tracks.

Some have breakfast and dinner and skip lunch Others breakfast and lunch and skip dinner. Your domestic situation probably dictates what works best there. Others exercise. There’s lots written about various snacks before bed. All I think this does is give you an unseen bump overnight instead imo.

I’d add my eating two meals isn’t a deliberate strategy. I just don’t feel hungry enough because when I do it’s nutrient dense and not full of fillers like bread or rice etc. If I’m hungry I eat. If I waver and eat carbs I get more hungry much more quickly.
Dear hsss I can't thank you enough really helpful.

Hi Harbottle can I ask if you have e stayed on metformim to keep average levels down?

My GP suggested I stop it, but as I didn’t get any side effects I thought I might as well stay on it. Apparently it had other health benefits.

I was original on 1000mg, but reducing it to 500mg didn’t cause any change in levels.

My GP suggested I stop it, but as I didn’t get any side effects I thought I might as well stay on it. Apparently it had other health benefits.

I was original on 1000mg, but reducing it to 500mg didn’t cause any change in levels.
Thx that's helpful. I thought if I started on it then I can't come off.

Do keep an eye on b12 levels if you are on it long term. It depletes levels as a recognised side effect. You want levels right at the top of the range not skirting the bottom end.

Do keep an eye on b12 levels if you are on it long term. It depletes levels as a recognised side effect. You want levels right at the top of the range not skirting the bottom end.

Yes, I am aware of that, and so is the GP surgery who tests me for it.

Doses >= 1500mg a day are where it begins a risk, apparently.

That’s good as they aren’t always that switched on to it.

mmm. I’d think it depends on the individual and how susceptible they are in the first place with any other conditions, medications, diet and age considered.

I had problems with B12 on 1000mg (2 tablets per day). I am now on 2000mg, but my new surgery hasn't mentioned it. ;-(

Last edited:
The Desmond view was that eggs and olive oil were worse for me than bread. I don't buy that really. They seemed very worried about cholesterol levels almost at the expense of glucose.
My recent experience is precisely that. My practice nurse said the prevailing attitude in the NHS is that they place more importance on cholesterol than blood glucose, ie they will treat your heart before your diabetes.

Dear hsss I can't thank you enough really helpful.

My recent experience is precisely that. My practice nurse said the prevailing attitude in the NHS is that they place more importance on cholesterol than blood glucose, ie they will treat your heart before your diabetes.
Hi kopiert
I've been thinking more about an exercise ar Desmond where we laid out foods!from best to worst. Mostly very educational. But bananas were good, and Cashew nuts were bad. Olive oil was worse then white bread. Cheese was worse than pasta. Its just strange as I know that bananas make my blood sugar spike ans nuts do not. I think you are correct. They are looking after my heart and being a little paternalistic about my portion control (I should not eat too much fats).

The only time ever in my life when I've knowingly deliberately consumed olive oil has been on 'hot' holidays abroad where you get a bowl of salad and there's been no mayo offered but the standard cruet on all tables has been oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, so you dress and toss it yourself, to your own taste. You very soon learn to be sparing with the oil, cos surely nobody likes any food served swimming in grease? Well I don't, anyway !

Ah so folks haven't had the delight of hone made hummus.... when it's warm its soooo good. Sadly its about 50 percent olive oil (and chicken peas sadly). More seriously I eat a lot of home made spreads.i bake aubergines say and blend them with olive oil. It's very tasty.

Ah so folks haven't had the delight of hone made hummus.... when it's warm its soooo good. Sadly its about 50 percent olive oil (and chicken peas sadly). More seriously I eat a lot of home made spreads.i bake aubergines say and blend them with olive oil. It's very tasty.
Sorry about my late night spell checker

Why "sadly" for Olive Oil? It is great stuff. There is a lot of evidence that it is good for diabetics. Have a look at this Google Search . Clearly, moderation is the name of the game, but olive oil is generally fine.

Thanks I've now read all about olive oil and how it's good for me!

So update! I've lost 3kg (57 to 54) and whilst still spiking after meals, at 3 hours post eating my bloods are under 6.5. At 2 hours it's down but still above 7. More usefully this short time on cgm is showing me what I can and can't eat and it is getting easier !!!

That said, it's a big change ... mostly in moving ... I walk and exercise at home every day now.

Thanks for the support folks. I'm aiming for another 3kg off my weight whilst keeping my muscle up as well. I'm eating well and getting used to this change.

If I need metformin after these 3 months of lifestyle change so be it.

Franthepotter.

Thanks I've now read all about olive oil and how it's good for me!

So update! I've lost 3kg (57 to 54) and whilst still spiking after meals, at 3 hours post eating my bloods are under 6.5. At 2 hours it's down but still above 7. More usefully this short time on cgm is showing me what I can and can't eat and it is getting easier !!!

That said, it's a big change ... mostly in moving ... I walk and exercise at home every day now.

Thanks for the support folks. I'm aiming for another 3kg off my weight whilst keeping my muscle up as well. I'm eating well and getting used to this change.

If I need metformin after these 3 months of lifestyle change so be it.

Franthepotter.
If your 2 hour level is below 8mmol/l that is well within what you might be wanting to achieve so looks like you have made some good changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back