Change diet and weight loss to avoid metformin - I'm trying!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never done what could be called deliberate exercise.
Although I am still fairly active and go out up to 4 times a week to play and sing I don't do anything which makes my lower spine protest. I go shopping on the mobility scooter, park it by the trolley shed and load it up there as that seems to avoid back pain. Ordinary housework seems OK, as is some yoga and a bit of bouncing on the trampoline in the garden starting when the apple trees come into bud and going on until it is too cold or wet to enjoy.
It is the diet more than anything which controls my blood glucose, I believe.
Thanks. I guess there is also the morris excitement. I'm exercising at the moment also as long as my lower back does not protest. Long walks and pilates. I had some weight to lose but I think you are right ... I will just have to get used to changing my diet long term. I'm getting used to it actually and have now read lots about oils fats carbs etc etc. There's a lot to learn. I guess like morris dancing ... its a way of life (I'm ex rag morris from bristol)

Thanks. I guess there is also the morris excitement. I'm exercising at the moment also as long as my lower back does not protest. Long walks and pilates. I had some weight to lose but I think you are right ... I will just have to get used to changing my diet long term. I'm getting used to it actually and have now read lots about oils fats carbs etc etc. There's a lot to learn. I guess like morris dancing ... its a way of life (I'm ex rag morris from bristol)
Small world - my son and his family live in Knowle so we are over there fairly frequently.
I have been eating a low carb diet for over 7 years now and its working well, plus it is sustainable.

Small world - my son and his family live in Knowle so we are over there fairly frequently.
I have been eating a low carb diet for over 7 years now and its working well, plus it is sustainable.
How does this with doctors and are you on meds? I was wondering if I keep to diet and exercise will my Hba1c be monitored by NHS? Thx

How does this with doctors and are you on meds? I was wondering if I keep to diet and exercise will my Hba1c be monitored by NHS? Thx
You should have a repeat HbA1C 3 months after diagnosis and then generally if things have headed in the right direction i.e. down, then after another 6 months and after that annually as well as foot and eye checks.

I have not seen a GP to discus diabetes since diagnosis.
Although prescribed Metformin and Atorvastatin, after 5 weeks or so I was becoming suicidal due to the side effects, so I stopped them. At the first check I was no longer diabetic, at 6 months the top end of normal so I decided I never needed the tablets in the first place.
I have blood test, eye and feet check and in normal times a meeting or two with a nurse but these days it is more a discussion of how I'm doing the magic than advice from them on my health.

So I think I'm going the same way ... I have now lost 5kg and everything is much more stable. I bike amd walk briskly to get my heart up each day. One thing had occurred that now I have had low blood sugars during the night ... this may be a new thread. Its not a low valley as such but a steady 3.8 (in the red) overnight. Any ideas?

So I think I'm going the same way ... I have now lost 5kg and everything is much more stable. I bike amd walk briskly to get my heart up each day. One thing had occurred that now I have had low blood sugars during the night ... this may be a new thread. Its not a low valley as such but a steady 3.8 (in the red) overnight. Any ideas?
Congratulations? 😉 Just to confirm - you're not on any medication?

No meds so far ... the doctor gave me a 3 month deadline. Some posters suggested it's not too low and probably a CGM sleep pressure issue. On the other hand it may indicate something important ... I don't know what, but does metformim not lower my averages so I'm thinking about this... (I'm not sure I can tell the Dr I'm on a CGM he told me not even to finger privk )

I'm sticking to olive oil but have also been eating quite a lot of hard goats cheese.
I just eat ordinary and in remission without medication. Loads of information on what to eat on this website. Use the learning zone if you haven't already . Good luck

Once dxed with T2 your HbA1c, chols, bp, feet, retinopathy, weight etc will be monitored for life. At least once year hopefully. Diabetes UK lists the 15 tests/ reviews you should have annually. With Type 2 Diabetes there is no 'remission' for good behaviour. You have to be 'at it' every day .

Last edited:
Yup, once they've got us, it's for life... no matter how low your hba1c is.

Although I'm not 'at it' every day. Whatever 'it' is.

No meds so far ... the doctor gave me a 3 month deadline. Some posters suggested it's not too low and probably a CGM sleep pressure issue. On the other hand it may indicate something important ... I don't know what, but does metformim not lower my averages so I'm thinking about this... (I'm not sure I can tell the Dr I'm on a CGM he told me not even to finger privk )
You should have a repeat HbA1C 3 months after diagnosis and then generally if things have headed in the right direction i.e. down, then after another 6 months and after that annually as well as foot and eye checks.

What sort of fat are you eating?
I'm working out now that I need full fat and olive oil... does that sound right?

I'm working out now that I need full fat and olive oil... does that sound right?
Once dxed with T2 your HbA1c, chols, bp, feet, retinopathy, weight etc will be monitored for life. At least once year hopefully. Diabetes UK lists the 15 tests/ reviews you should have annually. With Type 2 Diabetes there is no 'remission' for good behaviour. You have to be 'at it' every day .
I like that. No remission for good behaviour. So basically controlling this going forwards. I feel lucky I'm not injecting (yet) . Here's a question please ... if grains can't be tolerated by me then are pulses likely to be any better? I'm wondering if I feel really programmed to eat grains and pulses and can't let this go thx franthepotter

Ok so the deadline is up to you. The dr can give their advice to you. You listen, ask questions, make sure you understand pros annd cons and decide what you’d like to do.

Using a meter or cgm is also up to you. What he means is the nhs won’t fund it, so some pretend it has no value to you or don’t know how to test food choices in type 2 and see it purely as an insulin or hypo management tool. What is relevant is that if you choose to measure is to understand how and when to do so and what those readings mean. Otherwise a series of random numbers may be of no use or maybe even worrying (what the drs often claim it will be). It’s pretty insulting of them to assume we can’t learn how to interpret the data though. Better would be to educate us and themselves too if need be!

3.8 when not on meds is fine and what many a non diabetic would have. Diabetes does not have lows as part of the condition. What causes actual medical lows is the medication used to treat diabetes - potentially. The level is set at 4 in medicated diabetics so they have time to act before it becomes dangerously low at levels even lower than that. They are often dropping quickly and their medication overwhelms a humans natural process to correct low levels (your liver adds glucose to the blood).

Metformin will lower averages mostly by lessening how much glucose gets added by the liver because type 2 inherently overdo this. It doesn’t totally block the ability though so it in uncommon cases might dip a little but then recover. It doesn’t actively lower glucose levels in the blood already. It does help us respond better to insulin and use the glucose we have a little better. Serious lows on metformin alone without any other conditions are most uncommon. Averages are not what we are discussing here (that’s kind of, but not quite, the hba1c). We are discussing blood glucose which is a “right now” measurement.

There’s nothing coming to mind - for me - that would mean a 3.8 in a non medicated otherwise well type 2 is “something important”. Not least of all considering pressure lows if you are laid on the sensor and the inherent issue that cgm aren’t so accurate at highs or lows (nothing is perfect) and a low should usually be checked against a meter before you worry about it, especially if you feel totally ok at the time.

I like that. No remission for good behaviour. So basically controlling this going forwards. I feel lucky I'm not injecting (yet) . Here's a question please ... if grains can't be tolerated by me then are pulses likely to be any better? I'm wondering if I feel really programmed to eat grains and pulses and can't let this go thx franthepotter
Ok so the deadline is up to you. The dr can give their advice to you. You listen, ask questions, make sure you understand pros annd cons and decide what you’d like to do.

Using a meter or cgm is also up to you. What he means is the nhs won’t fund it, so some pretend it has no value to you or don’t know how to test food choices in type 2 and see it purely as an insulin or hypo management tool. What is relevant is that if you choose to measure is to understand how and when to do so and what those readings mean. Otherwise a series of random numbers may be of no use or maybe even worrying (what the drs often claim it will be). It’s pretty insulting of them to assume we can’t learn how to interpret the data though. Better would be to educate us and themselves too if need be!

3.8 when not on meds is fine and what many a non diabetic would have. Diabetes does not have lows as part of the condition. What causes actual medical lows is the medication used to treat diabetes - potentially. The level is set at 4 in medicated diabetics so they have time to act before it becomes dangerously low at levels even lower than that. They are often dropping quickly and their medication overwhelms a humans natural process to correct low levels (your liver adds glucose to the blood).

Metformin will lower averages mostly by lessening how much glucose gets added by the liver because type 2 inherently overdo this. It doesn’t totally block the ability though so it in uncommon cases might dip a little but then recover. It doesn’t actively lower glucose levels in the blood already. It does help us respond better to insulin and use the glucose we have a little better. Serious lows on metformin alone without any other conditions are most uncommon. Averages are not what we are discussing here (that’s kind of, but not quite, the hba1c). We are discussing blood glucose which is a “right now” measurement.

There’s nothing coming to mind - for me - that would mean a 3.8 in a non medicated otherwise well type 2 is “something important”. Not least of all considering pressure lows if you are laid on the sensor and the inherent issue that cgm aren’t so accurate at highs or lows (nothing is perfect) and a low should usually be checked against a meter before you worry about it, especially if you feel totally ok at the time.
I can't thank you enough. So helpful. Yup.. the doctor knows I am reasonably intelligent but I guess his appointments are short. Desmond was a day though... anyway, onwards and upwards. I am guessing the exercise must now continue for always. Harsh, but only because I have to do it.

I can't thank you enough. So helpful. Yup.. the doctor knows I am reasonably intelligent but I guess his appointments are short. Desmond was a day though... anyway, onwards and upwards. I am guessing the exercise must now continue for always. Harsh, but only because I have to do it.
Seems to me that you have plenty of helpful advice already, but perhaps I can chuck in my 10p's worth? Before I became pre-diabetic I used to use the 'MyFitnessPal' app to keep an eye on my calorie intake. It's tedious to use in some ways as it means weighing portions, but the good thing about it is that as you use it you can build your own little 'database' of foods, meals, even your own recipes. The more foods/meals you add, the less weighing you have to do (though you have to be sensible of course). BUT, what helped me, and it might help you, is that you can view your intake in the form of a pie-chart to show fats, proteins, and (wait for it...) CARBS! You may already have your own way of monitoring by now, but if not maybe give it a go? Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back